Cruise Critic Community
SusieQft

Crystal Refund Roll Call

Longtime lurker... chiming in.

Aug 2020 cruise cancelled by Crystal 5/14; refund requested 5/15 (deposit only); CC dispute filed with AMEX 8/21.

Nov 21 2020 cruise cancelled by Crystal 7/30; refund requested 8/2 (deposit only); went ahead and disputed this as well on 8/21 after recent news and multiple unsatisfactory communications with TA.

On 8/13/2020 at 9:51 AM, crickette said:

I see from Susie's spreadsheet you requested your refund March 19th.  That's the third one from the mid-March batch.  So maybe (now) there is some sort of truth to Crystal's statement that they are being processed in the order received.

Made our final payment at the end of November 2019. I cancelled at the end of March 2020. On June 20, 2020 TA said Crystal was working through the refunds of March 17. Not sure I believe her or Crystal or Genting or the Travel insurance company, or the CC company or the airlines or any promises made to me by any travel entitiesor any government agencies.  Disputed with CSR on 8/22/2020 and got a temporary credit and received all charges less penalties. It used to be, make a reservation, pay the cost, go on a trip. End of story. What a drag this has been. I'm pretty sure that I'll get most of it refunded or when or how or for how much or from where but I now for sure that I'll cruise again (maybe even with Crystal). All of that being said, I'm more worried about the smoke. I(we live in Northern California)  or Covid-19. .

Here’s a question about Allianz trip insurance refunds: We cancelled our Nov 12 cruise. After disputing with cc, we received our refund a week ago. Allianz gave us credit toward another trip. Our TA, who is now laid off, told us if Crystal cancels the cruise, we can receive a credit for our trip insurance. Now that Crystal has cancelled cruises through 2020, we requested an Allianz credit. Still waiting to hear from them. Anybody else have experience with this?

Just got our refund on the Endeavor trip, $8736 after 138 days and 2 weeks after AMEX dispute placed.

susieq ft

i could not find this refund request on the spreadsheet.

SusieQft

first canceled cruise

Sailed date 12/2/20

Cancel date 5/14/20

Paid in Full

Part of fare transferred another cruise for 2022

Part of fare is a refund

filed dispute with bank of america visa on august 11, 2020

i canceled this cruise but since i canceled, crystal cancelled the cruise.

3 hours ago, USC Adventurer said:

i could not find this refund request on the spreadsheet.

It is there, currently on line 70.  They are sorted by cancellation date.

On 8/23/2020 at 8:42 PM, StayInTouch said:

Here’s a question about Allianz trip insurance refunds: We cancelled our Nov 12 cruise. After disputing with cc, we received our refund a week ago. Allianz gave us credit toward another trip. Our TA, who is now laid off, told us if Crystal cancels the cruise, we can receive a credit for our trip insurance. Now that Crystal has cancelled cruises through 2020, we requested an Allianz credit. Still waiting to hear from them. Anybody else have experience with this?

We had trip insurance through Aon Affinity.  Crystal cancelled our cruise after final payment.  I filed one claim under trip interruption and they said since it hadn't started, it wasn't covered.  Then I filed under trip cancellation, and they said we were covered until the start of the trip.  Meaning, we were covered if "we" needed to cancel due to some accident after final payment and before the trip started and THEN needed to cancel our trip.  We couldn't get a credit or refund.  We will never use Aon Affinity again.  They were recommenced by our travel agent. 

Posted (edited)

Love.II.Cruise - "We couldn't get a credit or refund." 

I have not researched this, but I have read here on Cruise Critic that no travel insurance is paying out for cancellation due to COVID.  My insurance, AIG Travel Guard,  has given me a credit to use for the full premium amount which needs to be used in two years from the date of cancellation.  I only need to book other travel by then, not necessarily travel within two years.  If anyone has travel insurance that paid out due to COVID, can you please share?

Oops, SusyQft, I don't think you intended to have non cruise refund info on this thread.  Apologies.

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger
Added info

5 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Love.II.Cruise - "We couldn't get a credit or refund." 

I have not researched this, but I have read here on Cruise Critic that no travel insurance is paying out for cancellation due to COVID.  My insurance, AIG Travel Guard,  has given me a credit to use for the full premium amount which needs to be used in two years from the date of cancellation.  I only need to book other travel by then, not necessarily travel within two years.  If anyone has travel insurance that paid out due to COVID, can you please share?

~Nancy

Agree - I didn't expect them to pay out due to COVID.  I expected a refund or credit from Aon for my trip insurance.  They wouldn't give either.  

Posted (edited)

Oh dear.  I've had credits for a change of travel from two different insurers twice.  I'm sorry to hear Aon didn't offer that to you.  Thanks for the warning!

Take care,

~Nancy

Edited by oakridger

3 minutes ago, oakridger said:

Oh dear.  I've had credits for a change of travel from two different insurers twice.  I'm sorry to hear Aon didn't offer that to you.  Thanks for the warning!

Take care,

~Nancy

I cancelled a cruise and applied to my insurance company (the one that Crystal recommended) for the refund. They said no but would give me a credit for the amount I had paid them for the premum  if I took a trip within a year. My TA transferred the insurance to my new cruise which was on Oceania. However still waiting for the refund from Crystal.

1 hour ago, Love.II.Cruise said:

I expected a refund or credit from Aon for my trip insurance.  They wouldn't give either.  

I had HTH travel insurance for a cruise (not Crystal) that was cancelled by the line.

I was given the option of full refund of premium or carrying the amount of insurance for next trip.

I elected a refund which took a long time and a CC dispute but I did get it.

Re credit on Allianz trip insurance: we followed instructions from an Allianz phone rep and sent an email to Allianz Sales Support with documents, one of which was showing we received a refund from Crystal. An Allianz sales person named Emmanuel replied saying he would be happy to help with the refund and the only other thing he needed was a letter on Crystal letterhead verifying the cruise was cancelled by Crystal. Marianne Freeman, a sales associate with Crystal, went out of her way to supply us with something we could supply to Allianz, which we did. We’ll see what happens but we certainly got the impression from Allianz that we would get a credit back to our credit card. BTW, Marianne was so helpful and professional. She convinced me that Crystal’s customer centric philosophy is still alive. Fingers crossed that they find a way to survive because I am now eager to cruise with Crystal again thanks to Marianne’s personal touch. 

We had Travel Insured for one of our cruises and got a full refund for the premium.  The second cruise insurance was with Travelex and we received a future credit which has to be applied to the policy within 12 months of the original departure date and not greater than 24 months from the date applied.

We had a fully paid Crystal River Cruise that was cancelled in May.  On May 21, we requested a refund and they told us we could expect payment in 90 days.  On August 21st, it was 91 days so we contacted our credit card company (Chase Sapphire) and disputed the charge.  We received payment onAugust 25th.  

54 minutes ago, Cruizer Bill said:

We received payment onAugust 25th

Was it temporary credit from Chase or full reimbursement from Crystal? There is a difference.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Was it temporary credit from Chase or full reimbursement from Crystal? There is a difference.

I was going to ask the same thing. I too received a temporary credit from CSR for the full amount less penalties but 
I neither received a permanent credit, nor an actual refund to the CC from Crystal.. Many of us have filed disputes and have gotten temporary credits. (See the chart).Let us know.

36 minutes ago, powlan said:

I was going to ask the same thing. I too received a temporary credit from CSR for the full amount less penalties but 
I neither received a permanent credit, nor an actual refund to the CC from Crystal.. Many of us have filed disputes and have gotten temporary credits. (See the chart).Let us know.

As you know, the merchant is given a certain amount of time to answer the charges. If the merchant agrees with your claim or fails to answer within the time given, the temporary credit becomes permanent.

Allianz ended up refunding our full trip insurance even though we cancelled back in March. 

My cruise was scheduled for 5/31

Crystal cancelled on 4/2

As of 8/26, I have not received my requested full refund.

I paid for the cruise in full 8/31/19!

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, mormi said:

Crystal cancelled on 4/2

Hi, we were booked on Serenity 31st May, also cancelled on 2nd April. Also booked for the previous cruise too!
No refund yet for us either!!

Edited by comas

8 hours ago, mormi said:

Crystal cancelled on 4/2

Do like everyone here suggested - file a dispute with your credit card ASAP.

I called Visa.  They told me that they were unable to accept a dispute as Crystal claims the refund is being processed.  Crystal has been telling me that I was in the processing queue for the past 2 months.  I booked through COSTCO and they are no help at all.

contact visa and have them redispute the charge, explain the 180 day wait for a refund is unacceptable.