Cruise Critic Community
SusieQft

Crystal Refund Roll Call

20 hours ago, caroak said:

I don't understand why those that are waiting many months for refunds don't just file a credit card dispute and end the misery.  There's simply no reason not to and, as of late, seems to be the only way to get your refund.   Crystal's future sure does look precarious and glad I did it when the getting was good.

It’s not an option for some people.  I’m glad it was for you and I hope you got your refund.

2 hours ago, katieaz said:

You may ask your agent to process your credit card directly with the cruise supplier and their is no fee.  The credit transaction does not typically go through the agent, fyi. 

Stickman and Thecat123 are from Australia and New Zealand where it is common practice for many businesses to charge a fee for credit cards.  All my hotel and restaurant charges in Australia charged the fee.  They could probably give more details on this.

~Nancy

Yes Nancy is correct - in Australia it’s not unusual for merchants to charge a fee for credit card payment, especially on larger amounts. This can be around 2% (usually higher for AMEX - it varies but is governed by law that it can’t exceed what the merchant gets charged by the card supplier

Not all TAs charge the card fee - so it’s another incentive to shop around. I’ve paid for Crystal, Seabourn and Regent fares via my agent but with the charge made directly by the cruise lines without a surcharge. I would avoid making the actual payment through a third party’s account such as a TA 

Also in the early days of Crystal’s Australian office they simply didn’t accept credit cards so payment was by bank transfer - so that has caught some Australian customers out in these circumstances 

Refund update.  Cruise date 09/20/2020, Cancelled 04/14/2020.  Deposit refund from Crystal received 09/02/2020.  The refund amount was correct .  A dispute was initiated by Visa on 08/31/2020.   

After a 20 year, multiple cruise relationship with Crystal, this chapter in our lives is closed. The magic has sadly disappeared. 😢💔

Benita was right. Chase  gave me Credit already for the final payment, did not have to wait one week. Now will wait for Crystal and getting PERMANENT credit 

On 8/27/2020 at 8:35 PM, toolworker said:

On 8/11/19 I paid $200 onboard Serenity for an open advance booking.

We didn't use it so it automatically cancelled on 2/11/20.

3/13/20 my travel agent called Crystal and was told it was being refunded to my credit card.

6/25/20 she called and was told I should see it any day now.

8/3/20 was told still being processed and the agent would escalate to a supervisor.

8/27/20 filed a dispute with B of A on the card. It's way outside the statute limit but B of A has helped me out before. Fingers crossed.

This was our first cruise on Crystal, and any goodwill they had with me is long gone.

9/2/20 The $200 refund from Crystal appeared in my account.

4 hours ago, toolworker said:

9/2/20 The $200 refund from Crystal appeared in my account.

I booked an August 30 2020 cruise and paid for it with two payments in the latter part of 2019. Cancelled it on March 28, 2020 and asked for a full refund less penalties from Crystal. After 150 days I filed a cc dispute with CSR who gave me two "temporary" credits on 8/26/2020. Five days later Crystal gave me a full credit for the second payment and "pending" on the first payment. I'm pretty sure that I'll get it. And yes I'd sail Crystal again. 

Lessons learned - Nothing really. Next to health, a refund is pretty minor.

<<After a 20 year, multiple cruise relationship with Crystal, this chapter in our lives is closed. The magic has sadly disappeared.>>

Indeed.  If the coronavirus doesn't sink Crystal Cruises, their excuses, lies and incompetence surely won't help them in the future.

2 hours ago, seattleskibums said:

<<After a 20 year, multiple cruise relationship with Crystal, this chapter in our lives is closed. The magic has sadly disappeared.>>

Indeed.  If the coronavirus doesn't sink Crystal Cruises, their excuses, lies and incompetence surely won't help them in the future.

I guess that means you will not cruise Crystal again.

23 minutes ago, almostretired said:

I guess that means you will not cruise Crystal again.

Just out of curiosity, did you receive your full refund?

<<I guess that means you will not cruise Crystal again.>>

Your guess is correct, almostretired.  We are surprised that so many people apparently are willing to overlook or accept Crystal's horrendous failure in dealing with refunds.  As we noted a couple of times now, no other travel-related company has shown such incompetence.  We already have received refunds from numerous airlines, trains, hotels, tour groups, theaters and condos for cancellations that came weeks and months after Crystal canceled our river cruises 175 days ago.  There's really not much we can do at this point but wait them out and hope for the best.  But would we ever deal with them again when this is over?  Never!

Well, I cancelled the cruise but booked my own air.  I had non refundable tickets and knew that American Airlines would cancel my flight to Montreal.   Finally! I can get my ticket money back. Thanks to booking the flight via Amex.  Now working on the ticket fees. I booked an Economy ticket but upgraded my seats with American Airlines directly.  Amex told me it might take 90+ days to see the money from American Airlines for the tickets Now separately I have to wait for the seat refund too..   So it's not just Crystal....

Interesting.  We had flights canceled by Delta, Hawaiian, Icelandair and British Air.  Delta took almost three weeks to process the refund but the three others all processed our refunds within two days of the cancellations.  Please let us know when American processes your refund.  We'll be surprised if it takes them more than 30 days.  We're at Day 176 (that's almost six months!) waiting for Crystal Cruises to process our refund..

Well, Amex canceled the flight and the refund is in process.  After 2 phone calls, there is no where to apply for the seat upgrade refund.  Looks like another call with a hold time will be in order.

On 9/5/2020 at 7:23 AM, seattleskibums said:

<<I guess that means you will not cruise Crystal again.>>

Your guess is correct, almostretired.  We are surprised that so many people apparently are willing to overlook or accept Crystal's horrendous failure in dealing with refunds.  As we noted a couple of times now, no other travel-related company has shown such incompetence.  We already have received refunds from numerous airlines, trains, hotels, tour groups, theaters and condos for cancellations that came weeks and months after Crystal canceled our river cruises 175 days ago.  There's really not much we can do at this point but wait them out and hope for the best.  But would we ever deal with them again when this is over?  Never!

I guess some of us think that the problem with the refunds is not really incompetence in dealing with them,  but a lack of cash flow. I guess some of us think that once Crystal overcomes this unique situation arising from Coronavirus, it will be again the fine cruise line we have learned to like.

Ivi 

On 8/23/2020 at 2:21 PM, KCorey said:

Longtime lurker... chiming in.

Aug 2020 cruise cancelled by Crystal 5/14; refund requested 5/15 (deposit only); CC dispute filed with AMEX 8/21.

Nov 21 2020 cruise cancelled by Crystal 7/30; refund requested 8/2 (deposit only); went ahead and disputed this as well on 8/21 after recent news and multiple unsatisfactory communications with TA.

Update- Aug 2020 deposit refunded by Crystal 9/4, 2 weeks after dispute filed. Nov cruise deposit dispute still pending.

On 9/2/2020 at 9:23 PM, caroak said:

I don't understand why those that are waiting many months for refunds don't just file a credit card dispute and end the misery.  There's simply no reason not to and, as of late, seems to be the only way to get your refund.   Crystal's future sure does look precarious and glad I did it when the getting was good.

Many work with a trusted travel agency/agent who can act as your advocate.  An individual represents far less revenue to Crystal than a high producing agency or one affiliated with a large consortium. Once you deal with the credit card company and dispute the charges the agent is normally removed from the equation.  It is unclear whether the advisor has a continuing role for your other refunds payable by cheque, or refunds denied by the credit card company that must wait on Crystal's timing. 

Just curious and would love some feedback for those waiting only for a refund of taxes, fees and port charges on cruises that Crystal cancelled.

For a cruise that crystal cancelled, I took the 125% Future cruise credit and applied it to future cruises booked.  The letter/email from them on date of cancellation, states all taxes, fees and port charges will be refunded.  I’m now at 90 days and most likely will file a dispute soon.

Nancy

1 hour ago, nancygp said:

Just curious and would love some feedback for those waiting only for a refund of taxes, fees and port charges on cruises that Crystal cancelled.

For a cruise that crystal cancelled, I took the 125% Future cruise credit and applied it to future cruises booked.  The letter/email from them on date of cancellation, states all taxes, fees and port charges will be refunded.  I’m now at 90 days and most likely will file a dispute soon.

Nancy

I believe that taxes, fees and port charges, as well as air considerations and goodwill reimbursements, are refunded by cheque.  Filing a dispute is unlikely to work.  I  have read that Crystal is not releasing any monies until restructuring and reorganization - as well as the equity partner - related to Genting is more clear.  And Crystal has not released monies since August 20.  (Monies going to credit card disputes seems to be still flowing.  Perhaps that is from the bonds that credit card companies have with merchants - Vince is much better positioned to answer that than I can)

Addendum to my previous post today:  In terms of full disclosure: some of the words are taken from a different cruise blog I read.  Sorry I can't credit the source, or my post will be deleted.

2 hours ago, crickette said:

Many work with a trusted travel agency/agent who can act as your advocate.  An individual represents far less revenue to Crystal than a high producing agency or one affiliated with a large consortium. Once you deal with the credit card company and dispute the charges the agent is normally removed from the equation.  It is unclear whether the advisor has a continuing role for your other refunds payable by cheque, or refunds denied by the credit card company that must wait on Crystal's timing. 

Our TA, who is a high Crystal producer for many years, did advocate for us with quite a few calls to Crystal's senior level staff with whom she is well acquainted but to no avail.  At over 120 days we filed a cc dispute which resulted in a full refund of monies owed.  We were not past the time limit for filing the dispute with Chase.  Chase also mentioned in the event of a bankruptcy we could still file a dispute and, I assume, get refunded if we were within the dispute timeline.

Edited by caroak

Thanks crickette.

it wasn’t clear in the cruise cancelation letter how taxes, fees and Port charges would be refunded.

i will have my TA confirm with crystal how it is done.  Yes,  I too am well aware of Crystals and Gentings Situation.

has anyone received a check from crystal?

Nancy 

Well, I have received a credit on my Capital One credit card for the two charges I disputed.  It took 16 days for Cap1 to put the credit on.  I think this is a temporary credit pending action from Crystal.  These two refunds would make me ALMOST whole.  Still have some insurance outstanding, although Crystal has said the insurance company has said to refund it.

Phyllis

3 hours ago, nancygp said:

There is a tab for this on the spreadsheet with some data.  There are 3 tabs at the bottom for different categories of refunds, and this is in the third one.  I only include those who give the date of the refund request and at least an approximate date of the sailing.

4 minutes ago, SusieQft said:

There is a tab for this on the spreadsheet with some data.  There are 3 tabs at the bottom for different categories of refunds, and this is in the third one.  I only include those who give the date of the refund request and at least an approximate date of the sailing.

many thanks!!!!

Nancy