Intercontinental Moorea To Close Permanently

That's too bad, and sad to hear.  It's owned the people who used to own the PG.  I wonder what will happen to the rest of their chain.  I also wonder how other hotels on Moorea area coping, not just the big resorts, but the smaller hotels.

BTW, in my experience, hotels come and go in FP.  The climate is challenging for structures.  They age very fast, and there are a number of abandoned hotels from the past to be seen.  The wonderful Pearl hotel that we stayed in on Manihi in 2000, for instance, is long gone, just a ruin moldering into the sand and palms I presume.

Edited by Wendy The Wanderer

• 1 month later...
58 minutes ago, Jacqueline said:

The problem is that it will start to deteriorate quickly if it’s not maintained.

Richard is a smart businessman, he will likely have it maintained ... heck, much of it was just recently refurbished. 

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

Well if they want anyone to book in the future, then they really need to look like they're open on the IC website, and they need to let PG cruises make us feel that's true. We origially rebooked our cancelled April PG cruise to  the reunion cruise in January. We asked for 2 nights pre at the IC Tahiti, and 4 nights post at the IC Moorea. That's when we were told by PG that the IC Moorea was closed permanently. They offered us the Hilton instead and we said yes.

Since then have rebooked from January to December of next year, with 4 nights pre on Moorea, and 2 nights post on Tahiti. They were unable to tell us what hotels were available. We rebooked because PG said that flights on Air Tahiti Nui were yet not available for January. When we got to July 1st and PG said they had seats reserved, but couldn't tell us what they were, we had to rebook. We need to fly from Florida to the West Coast, before boarding our flight. If there are any restrictions for Covid19, that's not going to work if we can't book flights from Florida ASAP. And we are never willing to sit with a 3rd person on an ATN flight from LAX to PPT. We loved the old ATN planes with 2 seats, and on the new planes, we either need business class, of purchasing the 3rd seat on our own. We're both tall people, and my husband is wide in the shoulders, so a third person doesn't work. I'm thinking less and less that we'll ever take another PG cruise, but I do know that we've already paid for a Fiji to Bali cruise with 3 nights pre at the Pullman, and 2 nights post at the IC Bali, and business class airfare, and Allianz insurance that didn't cover anything.

Sorry for venting, but we've been spending  too much time in our condo for 5 months now, and feel like life is passing us by. We walk around our neighborhood everyday, trying to avoid being hit by people riding their bicycles at a high rate of speed on the sidewalk, and wondering when we'll be hit by a hurricane, instead of seeing the world during retirement as we had planned.

2 hours ago, SWFLAOK said:

Well if they want anyone to book in the future, then they really need to look like they're open on the IC website, and they need to let PG cruises make us feel that's true. We origially rebooked our cancelled April PG cruise to  the reunion cruise in January. We asked for 2 nights pre at the IC Tahiti, and 4 nights post at the IC Moorea. That's when we were told by PG that the IC Moorea was closed permanently. They offered us the Hilton instead and we said yes.

Since then have rebooked from January to December of next year, with 4 nights pre on Moorea, and 2 nights post on Tahiti. They were unable to tell us what hotels were available. We rebooked because PG said that flights on Air Tahiti Nui were yet not available for January. When we got to July 1st and PG said they had seats reserved, but couldn't tell us what they were, we had to rebook. We need to fly from Florida to the West Coast, before boarding our flight. If there are any restrictions for Covid19, that's not going to work if we can't book flights from Florida ASAP. And we are never willing to sit with a 3rd person on an ATN flight from LAX to PPT. We loved the old ATN planes with 2 seats, and on the new planes, we either need business class, of purchasing the 3rd seat on our own. We're both tall people, and my husband is wide in the shoulders, so a third person doesn't work. I'm thinking less and less that we'll ever take another PG cruise, but I do know that we've already paid for a Fiji to Bali cruise with 3 nights pre at the Pullman, and 2 nights post at the IC Bali, and business class airfare, and Allianz insurance that didn't cover anything.

Sorry for venting, but we've been spending  too much time in our condo for 5 months now, and feel like life is passing us by. We walk around our neighborhood everyday, trying to avoid being hit by people riding their bicycles at a high rate of speed on the sidewalk, and wondering when we'll be hit by a hurricane, instead of seeing the world during retirement as we had planned.

Are you doing the same itinerary in December 2021 as the reunion cruise?

20 hours ago, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

Are you doing the same itinerary in December 2021 as the reunion cruise?

Yes, might we be meeting onboard on that cruise?

And, I have decided to do the drift snorkel on Taha'a this time, even though I've been too scared to do it in the past. I'll only live once, and I need to make it worthwhile, even when it scares me.

I love snorkeling, but I also don't like to lose control while snorkeling, so drift snorkeling is a challenge. But I did do the Fakarava snorkel with sharks on my first PG cruise, and lived through it. There was someone from the PG that was there to help the snorkelers who panicked. When I suddenly saw an  8 foot shark swimming 6 feet under me, and trailing me like I was prey, he took my hand and led me away from the shark's path. I still know his name and am forever grateful to him for making me feel comfortable in completing that adventure. He helped a number of others enjoy their snorkel that day.

16 minutes ago, SWFLAOK said:

Yes, might we be meeting onboard on that cruise?

And, I have decided to do the drift snorkel on Taha'a this time, even though I've been too scared to do it in the past. I'll only live once, and I need to make it worthwhile, even when it scares me.

I love snorkeling, but I also don't like to lose control while snorkeling, so drift snorkeling is a challenge. But I did do the Fakarava snorkel with sharks on my first PG cruise, and lived through it. There was someone from the PG that was there to help the snorkelers who panicked. When I suddenly saw an  8 foot shark swimming 6 feet under me, and trailing me like I was prey, he took my hand and led me away from the shark's path. I still know his name and am forever grateful to him for making me feel comfortable in completing that adventure. He helped a number of others enjoy their snorkel that day.

Yes we will be meeting each other  ...

Already have all our excursions scheduled with the exception of the drift snorkel which we always do the ship's excursion on Tahaa and will book 60 days out.

GH011533_Momentk.jpg

Edited by Tahitianbigkahuna

We did drift dive on our own in Tahaa last year. Not much current on day we chose so no real drifting. HOWEVER, it is VERY shallow and though we are very experienced snorkelers we wound up following a tour group from a distance to find a path through the Shallow coral. Also must wear swim shoes, no fins, and swim tights and shirts to help not get scraped on coral. 

On 6/1/2020 at 2:34 PM, Tahitianbigkahuna said:

There were discussions over the weekend that would suggest that the IC Moorea may open after a few years ... depends on how fast tourism returns.

Sure hope so.  We were there about four years ago and loved  it.  Staying over water is as good as it gets.  Are hoping to go back sometime.  So sad thinking about it. Still need a vaccine before we can even try to plan a trip anywhere. 

• Like 1