Would you go on a "socially distance" cruise

This article in the Washington Post describes a potential cruise in the future that would require social distancing and maybe masks.

I would never go on such a cruise. It's either a normal cruise or none at all for me.

Is there anyone out there who WOULD go on a socially distance cruise?

Wear a mask on a cruise - nope. They can sail without me if those are the rules.

The whole point of cruising - for me anyway - is normal socializing. Anything less would be a waste of time and money.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/a-longtime-cruise-reviewer-answers-the-question-what-will-it-take-for-you-to-cruise-again/2020/05/28/144283be-9f54-11ea-9590-1858a893bd59_story.html

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• Like 7

Doubt it would be much fun. I don't think I would

By the way, I wonder if the writer of the article realizes that his open balcony doors usually compromise the air conditioning of several surrounding staterooms.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Depends.

If these future cruises included an unlimited drink packages, daily complimentary massages, & complimentary WiFi at the current per diem  rates (all categories) that might be a ‘deal closer’ for some.

Kidding... the answer for us would be a definite no.

BTW, how would the 6’ distancing ‘thingy’ work on a tender? Just curious.

Plenty of other travel options.

Be well.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

No, because we doubt very much that it is possible.   Cruise lines have proven that they cannot enforce their own rules such as dress and poolside chair hogging.  What makes anything think that they can enforce social distancing? 

The cruise lines may talk a good talk about this, but I very much doubt whether they would walk the talk.

Even if distancing was enforced, we doubt very much whether we would enjoy the cruise so why bother.  Much easier for us to simply select an alternate travel option.

Edited by iancal
  • Like 8

I am glad I have been lucky enough to enjoy 81 cruises in my life.  I could not and would not do a social distancing and masking cruise. That would take the ambiance and joy of cruising away IMO. I think I have cruised for the last time.

Edited by SJSULIBRARIAN
  • Like 5

Sure.  I read the article with the CCL CEO’s take on social distancing.  It seems the most affected venues would be indoor entertainment and buffets.   My suggestion is to have assigned times for peak buffet periods much like the dining room.  The entertainment has become more digital anyway so I don’t think I would be missing much.  The theaters could go to a reservation system and perhaps you would not be able to get a reservation every night but for me, personally, that is not a big deal.  I cruise to get from port to port in comfort.  I don’t really cruise for the onboard  experience.  If the ship is clean, maintained, the food is fresh and tasty I am just fine.  I am a natural social distancer so not a biggie for me.  

• Like 14

It depends what ‘normal’ will be in the future. I doubt masks or 6 foot distancing would be a phase that lasts long, if it happens at all. I suspect vaccinations and being tested for the virus before boarding will be an ongoing requirement. Some details will change forever.

It has been close to 20 years since 911, which as terrible as it was had a much lower death toll than Covid 19 in New York City alone. To this day, air travel has not returned to ‘normal’ as defined by how it was before that date.

• Like 1

I cruise for the ports and as a means to get to those places I have never seen. As long as there would be shore excursions I would definitely go on a cruise like that. We have no problem entertaining ourselves. 

• Like 8

5 minutes ago, wyobean said:

I cruise for the ports and as a means to get to those places I have never seen. As long as there would be shore excursions I would definitely go on a cruise like that. We have no problem entertaining ourselves. 

Well said, however, ports requiring tender boats could possibly be an issue with the current distancing ‘guidelines’, no?

Towing some adventurous folks on various small 2 person zodiacs is a option IMO.

Be well.

Bob

Just think it through. The pax on Diamond Princess were quarantined in their rooms for 2 weeks. 20% of people on board were infected. The pax on Ruby Princess weren't quarantined, and a third were infected in 11 days.

Are the cruise companies able and willing to rebuild the HVAC? Will they arrest pax for staging a 'freedom' demonstration? Will they abort the cruise if someone on board has symptoms?

Air travel will resume when the borders are opened. The airports and airlines will have made large investments in technology and work flow to improve safety and comfort. Even so, it will be like boarding a military transport, from the curbside to boarding and disembarkation. 

Empty your bladder before boarding. Sit still once seated, with masks on. No meals will be served. Perhaps, there will be a bottle of water for you.

This M.O. will continue even if there are tests certificates and pre-boarding inspections. Perhaps a tenth of laboratory PCR tests have false negatives. Pre-symptomatic patients can be infectious.

The only way that cruising can be safe and reasonably comfortable is if the ship travels from a country where the epidemic has been squashed. With pax only from countries where the epidemic has been squashed. Stopping only in ports where the epidemic has been squashed.

Therefore, I encourage the 'freedom' lovers to board the first cruises in August. Provide a proof of concept!

• Like 2

In my little perfect world, I would not have trouble at all with a cruise that required masks and social distancing.  I don't cruise to get chummy with people.  I cruise to relax and refresh myself after dealing with hordes of guests all Winter long or before I have to start dealing with hoarder of guests all Winter long.  I search out little cubbies where I'm not around folks, listen to my music, read on my iPad.  When we dock someplace, I get off and walk around myself, no excursions.  For dinner, I always get a 2 top.  

Now the glitch in my perfect world - COVID-19, no vaccine, no containment, don't trust ships to properly sanitize since they couldn't do it before at a lower level.   So, for the foreseeable future, no cruising for me.  

• Like 9

2 hours ago, prescottbob said:

BTW, how would the 6’ distancing ‘thingy’ work on a tender? Just curious.

The quickest/easiest way to deal with it, is to not stop at ports requiring a tender.

It looks like it's time to start building piers on all of those private islands like MSC has done.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Mary229 said:

Sure.  I read the article with the CCL CEO’s take on social distancing.  It seems the most affected venues would be indoor entertainment and buffets.   My suggestion is to have assigned times for peak buffet periods much like the dining room. 

Actually, think about the impact on the MDR.  No tables of more than two, maybe four, people.  Tables spaced six feet apart.  The capacity of the MDR would be one/third of the current capacity.   Perhaps mandatory room service might work.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, RocketMan275 said:

Actually, think about the impact on the MDR.  No tables of more than two, maybe four, people.  Tables spaced six feet apart.  The capacity of the MDR would be one/third of the current capacity.   Perhaps mandatory room service might work.

I think they are going to be cruising at less than 100% capacity until there is resolution.  Some cruise lines are suggesting 50% capacity

11 hours ago, Horizon chaser 1957 said:

I doubt masks or 6 foot distancing would be a phase that lasts long, if it happens at all

It’s certainly happened here.  Physical distancing is taken seriously as are masks when you cannot physical distance.  

• Like 2

There was a thread just yesterday about going on a cruise where masks are mandatory. Well, it will depend on a person. When I cruise I dont really look for a company. Usually its a family cruise and we enjoy our own company just as much. For some it can be a problem cause some people like to hang out and even getting into romantic relationship. I would say that such limitations are aweful but if they will exist just for this season (or a year) I am totally fine with it.. but I will not cruise this year