This is why no on knows when we will cruise again

Mrdodgy

Scientific and medical discoveries and advances will dictate any changes and protocols that Carnival Corporation and its nine cruise lines implement before they return, CEO and President Arnold Donald said

In an exclusive interview with Cruise Critic, Donald said it's too soon to tell what exact changes cruisers will see on ships once they return to service, but he vowed that whatever protocols are put in place would follow guidelines put out by global health authorities such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization.

It is not news but the thoughts of a senior industry leader - Read the article it sums up the position but gives away they have no idea when the will start again in my view. I know its not NCL but it gives a flavour of what is going on behind the scenes. I just wonder what cruising will be when it returns?

• Like 2

I think smaller ships starting up this summer is a good sign it will start sooner rather than later.  IT is still may.  Nothing is quaranteed however August is looking good for some ships to start up in a limited capacity. 

On 5/29/2020 at 3:59 AM, Mrdodgy said:

Scientific and medical discoveries and advances will dictate any changes and protocols that Carnival Corporation and its nine cruise lines implement before they return, CEO and President Arnold Donald said. In an exclusive interview with Cruise Critic, Donald said it's too soon to tell what exact changes cruisers will see on ships once they return to service, but he vowed that whatever protocols are put in place would follow guidelines put out by global health authorities such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization. It is not news but the thoughts of a senior industry leader - Read the article it sums up the position but gives away they have no idea when the will start again in my view. I know its not NCL but it gives a flavour of what is going on behind the scenes. I just wonder what cruising will be when it returns?

I am not sure why this would drive "when we cruise again". Like any business, cruise lines will open as soon as they can, complying with government regulations, and adapting their operations to minimize risk. For some cruise lines, the mega ships operate most efficiently and provides the best ability to maximize social distancing. Smaller ships force guests into a limited numbers of public spaces. 

Judging from the swarms of people at the beach and out shopping today,  there will be no social distancing or people wearing masks.  Only a few older folks in the grocery store had masks on.  Not a single person social distancing or wearing a mask at the malls. My observations from the past few days.

• Like 1

Some think it's a hoax, some don't care, they will cruise again.  It will be a sobering moment to see how things change:

1)  Embarkment: Every employee you encounter from now on will be wearing a covering/mask and gloves.  You're turned away and told to leave if you're outside your boarding window, porters in "seaface" masks/face shields and gloves as well as all other embarkment and ship employees, social distancing stickers on the floor everywhere, clip board of a stack of papers asking your 100+ medical questions, temperature check, being directed to the buffet but it's now table service so your waiting in a long line to get in with social distance floor stickers.  Buffet Segway:

2)  Buffet:  If my prediction of table service rings true which prevents crowding, three rounds of waits, hostess stand, waiter service and food runner.  Hostess stand, they'll be in a mask and the stand itself will have Plexiglas, force you to wash your hands, you'll wave your RFID card off the card reader, be given a paper menu and be seated.  A masked and gloved waiter will come over, ask for your buffet food order and offer to throw away the menu.  Masked and gloved food runner is bring your food and if there's any issues, they're just a food runner, talk to the wait staff.

3)  Lido:  50% of the seating reduced, social distance stickers on the floor at the bars and lots of Plexiglas.

12 minutes ago, Diver2014 said:

Judging from the swarms of people at the beach and out shopping today,  there will be no social distancing or people wearing masks.  Only a few older folks in the grocery store had masks on.  Not a single person social distancing or wearing a mask at the malls. My observations from the past few days.

Ports, including embarkment/disembarkment ports, will not open unless there's a properly enforced crew mask wearing and social distancing plan.  Nearly a 1000 tested positive in state wide in florida yesterday:

image.thumb.png.265dace88098ba9c85a8c99ff1568d46.png

Edited by NutsAboutGolf

1 hour ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Some think it's a hoax, some don't care, they will cruise again.  It will be a sobering moment to see how things change:

1)  Embarkment: Every employee you encounter from now on will be wearing a covering/mask and gloves.  You're turned away and told to leave if you're outside your boarding window, porters in "seaface" masks/face shields and gloves as well as all other embarkment and ship employees, social distancing stickers on the floor everywhere, clip board of a stack of papers asking your 100+ medical questions, temperature check, being directed to the buffet but it's now table service so your waiting in a long line to get in with social distance floor stickers.  Buffet Segway:

2)  Buffet:  If my prediction of table service rings true which prevents crowding, three rounds of waits, hostess stand, waiter service and food runner.  Hostess stand, they'll be in a mask and the stand itself will have Plexiglas, force you to wash your hands, you'll wave your RFID card off the card reader, be given a paper menu and be seated.  A masked and gloved waiter will come over, ask for your buffet food order and offer to throw away the menu.  Masked and gloved food runner is bring your food and if there's any issues, they're just a food runner, talk to the wait staff.

3)  Lido:  50% of the seating reduced, social distance stickers on the floor at the bars and lots of Plexiglas.

Sounds like a miserable nauseating way to spend a vacation. They would have to pay me a bundle to cruise and even then I would pass on it.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, HaveWeMetYet said:

Sounds like a miserable nauseating way to spend a vacation. They would have to pay me a bundle to cruise and even then I would pass on it.

They have to in order to sail again and to satisfy local/global/port regulators.  Think of it this way though, for those of us who can telework, nice change of scenery.  Compared to being at home, get to meet new people and visit the open ports.

On 5/29/2020 at 3:59 PM, Mrdodgy said:

Scientific and medical discoveries and advances will dictate any changes and protocols that Carnival Corporation and its nine cruise lines implement before they return, CEO and President Arnold Donald said

In an exclusive interview with Cruise Critic, Donald said it's too soon to tell what exact changes cruisers will see on ships once they return to service, but he vowed that whatever protocols are put in place would follow guidelines put out by global health authorities such as the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the World Health Organization.

It is not news but the thoughts of a senior industry leader - Read the article it sums up the position but gives away they have no idea when the will start again in my view. I know its not NCL but it gives a flavour of what is going on behind the scenes. I just wonder what cruising will be when it returns?

Why do you start a thread and miss out the best quote

August 1 Return Announcement "Insightful Mistake"

a recent Carnival Cruise Line announcement turned out to be "one of the most insightful mistakes we've ever made," Donald said.

Since the CDC issued its "no sail" ruling in mid-April, Carnival Corp. has been working with the government organization to follow appropriate protocols, Donald said -- although he stressed that the CDC isn't the only health organization out there for a global organization to satisfy.

"We go to 700 destinations around the world," he said. "Everybody's got their own rules and regulations, and we have to abide by them all."

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, NutsAboutGolf said:

Ports, including embarkment/disembarkment ports, will not open unless there's a properly enforced crew mask wearing and social distancing plan.  Nearly a 1000 tested positive in state wide in florida yesterday:

image.thumb.png.265dace88098ba9c85a8c99ff1568d46.png

those number are up because of reopening, its why im waiting till next week or so.  they should be coming down  shortly. 

1 hour ago, seaman11 said:

those number are up because of reopening, its why im waiting till next week or so.  they should be coming down  shortly. 

You can't really go by the daily, or weekly numbers, someone can be tested today and by the time negative test results are available, they could have been exposed. Testing is necessary, but don't let it give you false security that you arent going to have a positive result at a later testing. I am in the Medical lab field, and Covid19 testing is crazy right now.  Until a reliable 5 to 15 minute test is developed, (the current "quick" test only has about 75% accuracy, not good enough) we will have to continue with being very careful. Hopefully, with everything opening up slowly, people will start developing a resistance to this virus.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Zaphod1962 said:

You can't really go by the daily, or weekly numbers, someone can be tested today and by the time negative test results are available, they could have been exposed. Testing is necessary, but don't let it give you false security that you arent going to have a positive result at a later testing. I am in the Medical lab field, and Covid19 testing is crazy right now.  Until a reliable 5 to 15 minute test is developed, (the current "quick" test only has about 75% accuracy, not good enough) we will have to continue with being very careful. Hopefully, with everything opening up slowly, people will start developing a resistance to this virus.

Thanks for sharing!  Very good points and this is why the usual test requires testers to stick the 6" testing swab up not one nostril but both.  My overall point is, we have to remember that it won't go from 1,000 positives to zero in a single day although we all wish it would.

2 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Really will not see until about 3-4 weeks from now at best. That is because someone get infected  5-7 days before symptoms, a couple of days for test and test results, another 5-7 days before hospitalization on average, then 14 days median time to death.  It is the hospitalization and death number that will indicated if opening up is working or not.  Add on enough times for a few rounds of transmission.  So if you open up today, you really will not see the impact for a month to 6 weeks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, seaman11 said:

Can you please elaborate on your statistics and math calculations? If you acknowledge that the number of cases is up due to reopening, what would lead you to conclude that they will come down next week or shortly?  If you are trying to apply the theory.of "what goes up must come down", that is physics and doesn't work on communicable diseases.

• Like 2

I don't know why people are wearing masks, for one thing it's not airborne and I think standing in queues waiting to get into a shop is where there is a good chance of catching it as you are in close proximity to a person for a long time and if that person in front of you or behind you has it and they sneeze or coughs while you are in that queue then bad luck because when a person sneezes or cough their vapors can go up to 2 metres,  do I need to say more,  get rid of queuing. I have never worn a mask and I won't get into a queue either.  People who wear the masks usually wear them wrong and wear the same mask day in day out.   I see people wearing masks in shops touch their face, take their masks off for a second or 2 to scratch their face.  All wrong, you put a face mask on and you leave it on till you get home and definitely don't touch it or take it off till you are home.   If you want to protect yourself then wear gloves as they will automatically stop you touching your face, just try it next time you are out, the normal thing is to use the back of your hand not your fingers as fingers are the things that have touched to contaminated surfaces.     All you are doing is taking valuable medical supplies  away from the medical teams.  Wearing a mask only gives you a false sense of security and you end up doing the wrong thing thinking you are protected.  To stay protected is wash your hands before eating and always wash your hands with warm soapy water soon as you get home before touching anything in the home.  I have been on a cruise ship that had been riddled with the Norovirus and how they got rid of it was by not letting new passengers near the ship till everything was sanitized even dropped bags off earlier and I think they were sanitized as well before bringing on to the ship then for 72 hours the buffet were covered over with plastic so you had to be served by the food staff and the whole time they had a lot of crew sanitizing everything including chairs regularly and that was on a 14 day cruise and no one got sick and not even the typical cruise cough but the cruises before my had the Norvirus bad. So yeah I think the cruise lines can do it and no need to wear masks   Remember wash hands after being in public. . 

I don't know why people are wearing masks, for one thing it's not airborne and I think standing in queues waiting to get into a shop is where there is a good chance of catching it as you are in close proximity to a person for a long time and if that person in front of you or behind you has it and they sneeze or coughs while you are in that queue then bad luck because when a person sneezes or cough their vapors can go up to 2 metres,  do I need to say more,  get rid of queuing. I have never worn a mask and I won't get into a queue either.  People who wear the masks usually wear them wrong and wear the same mask day in day out.   I see people wearing masks in shops touch their face, take their masks off for a second or 2 to scratch their face.  All wrong, you put a face mask on and you leave it on till you get home and definitely don't touch it or take it off till you are home.   If you want to protect yourself then wear gloves as they will automatically stop you touching your face, just try it next time you are out, the normal thing is to use the back of your hand not your fingers as fingers are the things that have touched to contaminated surfaces.     All you are doing is taking valuable medical supplies  away from the medical teams.  Wearing a mask only gives you a false sense of security and you end up doing the wrong thing thinking you are protected.  To stay protected is wash your hands before eating and always wash your hands with warm soapy water soon as you get home before touching anything in the home.  I have been on a cruise ship that had been riddled with the Norovirus and how they got rid of it was by not letting new passengers near the ship till everything was sanitized even dropped bags off earlier and I think they were sanitized as well before bringing on to the ship then for 72 hours the buffet were covered over with plastic so you had to be served by the food staff and the whole time they had a lot of crew sanitizing everything including chairs regularly and that was on a 14 day cruise and no one got sick and not even the typical cruise cough but the cruises before my had the Norvirus bad. So yeah I think the cruise lines can do it and no need to wear masks   Remember wash hands after being in public. . 

Dear god
  • Like 4