Silversea refund processing time

wren2

I am a long time Uk  cruiser with Silversea and am now on my 81 st day of waiting for a refund on a back to back cruise - Mumbai to Athens - cancelled on March 7.  I filed for the refund on March 9.  Initially, I was told by Guest Relations the refund would be processed in 21 days. That time passed and then I was told the refund would be soon, very soon. Over the last month I have been told by Res UK that the refund would be given next week but no repayment was made.  I would like to know the time it has taken for other UK passengers to receive their refunds, or whether, excuse the pun, they are in the same boat as me.

1 hour ago, wren2 said:

I am a long time Uk  cruiser with Silversea and am now on my 81 st day of waiting for a refund on a back to back cruise - Mumbai to Athens - cancelled on March 7.  I filed for the refund on March 9.  Initially, I was told by Guest Relations the refund would be processed in 21 days. That time passed and then I was told the refund would be soon, very soon. Over the last month I have been told by Res UK that the refund would be given next week but no repayment was made.  I would like to know the time it has taken for other UK passengers to receive their refunds, or whether, excuse the pun, they are in the same boat as me.

If you are dealing with Res UK I assume your booking is through a TA. Is it possible that they are part of the hold up. For one of my bookings it took 2 weeks for the TA just to get the cancellation notice to SS.

Guests who were on the terminated World Cruise we’re reporting around 60 days for refunding.

Edited by Silver Spectre

1 hour ago, Silver Spectre said:

If you are dealing with Res UK I assume your booking is through a TA. Is it possible that they are part of the hold up. For one of my bookings it took 2 weeks for the TA just to get the cancellation notice to SS.

Guests who were on the terminated World Cruise we’re reporting around 60 days for refunding.

I am on very good terms with my TA and he checks daily with Res Uk.  Furthermore, I too have been in touch with ResUk.

just this second heard from my TA that the money has been paid into their account! I have been cruising with Silversea for 24 years and am really upset with this treatment. 81 days is far too long to wait for a refund.

1 hour ago, wren2 said:

I am on very good terms with my TA and he checks daily with Res Uk.  Furthermore, I too have been in touch with ResUk.

just this second heard from my TA that the money has been paid into their account! I have been cruising with Silversea for 24 years and am really upset with this treatment. 81 days is far too long to wait for a refund.

I agree it’s taking too long but understand times are difficult.  I’m glad that your money is finally with your TA, and thanks for letting us know.

On 5/29/2020 at 3:29 PM, wren2 said:

I had a similar story to you.

Cancelled 2 Silversea cruises through my TA in Mid March.

One refund took 84 days, the other 63 - a total of £45k tied up. This was with much pushing from me and the TA.

I understand that the TA's I use are Silversea's largest customer, with strong relationships with the UK team, but still no ability to accelerate the refunds.  

The reality is that the luxury cruise companies know that very few of their customers will desert them - even those who may be angry with the refund process at the moment.  

All the luxury cruise lines are taking 80-90 days. Not to excuse the very long delays all around, but if future sailing is based on which line processes quicker refunds then there’s not much to pick from. 

Our refund from Regent took about 80 days. 

Edited by CruiserFromMaine
Added reference to Regent
  • Like 1

Hi.  Our cruise was cancelled by SS around April 21st and we received our full refund this past Saturday.  I was really surprised it came that quickly.  It went back on to our CC.  We had booked directly with SS so maybe that is why it was faster.  We were very excited to see it come in.

I cancelled my cruise on the 17th March, I received my deposit back to my credit card on the 9th May and the remaining balance was paid to my agent on the 29th May who sent me a cheque on the same day. I am up to 84 days with another premium line.

SS cancelled Spirit May 26th cruise at the end of April; refund applied to my credit card 4th June.

However, I chose to cancel my Whisper Sep 8th cruise at the same time in April (29th); that refund hasn't appeared. SS did say 'by 29th May' for the Spirit refund and 'approx 45 days' for the Whisper refund so it's not really due yet.

Edited by jollyjones

Good morning - I was notified this morning, that the credit for our April 2021 Moon voyage (Barcelona to Athens) was issued from American Express....It took exactly 5 weeks from the date we cancelled with our travel agent... Although a lot can happen from now til next April, we opted to take a back seat for a while, to see how this all unfolds.  We are still concerned about what restrictions would/could still be in place for travelers, and the resulting impact that may have for not only flexibility, but our overall enjoyment.  we definitely look forward to booking another cruise, once things settle down. 

Seems to be that it is taking a lot longer in some countries than in others. Would love to think being done in date order using the date the claim was made but from a quick read of posts on this forum not the case

On 6/11/2020 at 7:47 AM, ketjupiter said:

Good morning - I was notified this morning, that the credit for our April 2021 Moon voyage (Barcelona to Athens) was issued from American Express....It took exactly 5 weeks from the date we cancelled with our travel agent... Although a lot can happen from now til next April, we opted to take a back seat for a while, to see how this all unfolds.  We are still concerned about what restrictions would/could still be in place for travelers, and the resulting impact that may have for not only flexibility, but our overall enjoyment.  we definitely look forward to booking another cruise, once things settle down. 

Was your "credit" (refund?) for deposit only, or had you paid in full? Seems deposit refunds process quicker.

I had paid in full for a back to back cruise.  I have just had my July cruise cancelled and was looking to book Barcelona to Athens.  However, the single supplement is extremely high, so will probably try the refund route. It is just to be hoped that there is not a second wave of Covid 19, as the lockdowns ease.

On 6/12/2020 at 11:26 AM, Mahogany said:

Was your "credit" (refund?) for deposit only, or had you paid in full? Seems deposit refunds process quicker.

Full Refund of deposit/cruise fare was credited back to my Amex... now trying to get a check from Amex for my large credit balance.

Edited by ketjupiter
typo

We had taken advantage of the early booking discount for a cruise next year.  Because of all the uncertainties, we were not comfortable with having so much money tied up with the booking, and advised Silversea (through our TA) that we either wanted to convert the booking to a standard 25% deposit, or simply cancel.  They agreed to keep the booking intact and refund 75%.  It took us 35 days to see the credit posted to our credit card.  

On 6/12/2020 at 11:26 AM, Mahogany said:

Update: I have received ALL the monies paid to Silversea: 3 suites, 3 insurance, 1 air upgrade - all in less than 5 weeks of Silversea cancelling my July voyage. I am impressed with the speed of what was almost $50,000.

I had paid in full and the voyage was cancelled one week before sailing. I was surprised it took so long for the refund when my voyage was one of the first cancelled I.e. on March 7.

We had made a deposit on two back to back cruises on Spirit for this fall, cruising about Norway/Sweden/Finland/St P and such.    We cancelled 3/30/20, and just this morning got the full amount of our deposit back, as it  was before the cutoff date.  So, SS is back in our good graces.  Too bad, we were REALLY looking forward to that cruise, but what can you do?  Sure hope someone comes up with an efficacious vaccine, so we can resume our peripatetic ways.  

• Like 1