Silversea refund processing time

wren2

I am impressed and very pleasantly surprised by Silversea's refund speed (at least in US).  I cancelled in early June.  I was notified today by credit card company that refund has been posted.  This is a far different (better!) performance than another luxury cruise line whose board I follow and whose refunds are so slow that guests are routinely forced to challenge the charge with the bank issuing the credit card.  Good show, Silversea!

• Like 1

That is fantastic. I have always said in my posts that the U.S. cruisers fare better with Silversea than the U.K. ones. Will see how I get on with my last claim on June 24 but certainly my first one took 81 days.

17 hours ago, wren2 said:

That is fantastic. I have always said in my posts that the U.S. cruisers fare better with Silversea than the U.K. ones. Will see how I get on with my last claim on June 24 but certainly my first one took 81 days.

Edited by KennyMandy

Silversea cancelled my Cloud Oct. 8 voyage on June 4, 2020.  I requested a refund on June 8.  The refund was credited to the two credit cards used on July 16 (38 days) and July 21 (43 days).  Faster than the 45 days promised!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Our refund finally arrived..... after 89 days.    The credit card we had booked the cruise on had been compromised and replaced, so the current number is different.   However, when cancelling, SS was notified of that, AND they had the new card number in their system from another booking.    Perhaps that slowed the process down.   Happily, the return is here, and we are hoping to be onboard July, 2021.

1 hour ago, brumagin1 said:

Our refund finally arrived..... after 89 days.    The credit card we had booked the cruise on had been compromised and replaced, so the current number is different.   However, when cancelling, SS was notified of that, AND they had the new card number in their system from another booking.    Perhaps that slowed the process down.   Happily, the return is here, and we are hoping to be onboard July, 2021.

Lucky that worked for you - I have found that usually businesses won't refund to a different card. When I had the same problem I had to fill in a form for SS to explain that the card had been compromised, then I got a bank wire transfer to my account, not to a credit card. And on this recent round of refunds, mine were delayed because they didn't have an current expiry date for the card that I had booked the cruise with - took them months to even ask for it!

Maybe it works in the US? Or maybe it was because they had your other card number?

If you've had a compromised credit card canceled but received a new card from the same company, then a refund to the old card number will post to your account. A closed number can't make charges, but it can receive refunds.

That didn't work for me in Bermuda, I've had to try and get a refund from an airline and it was a real hassle, altho' I have a tiny suspicion that my bank screwed up and wouldn't admit it.

Bermuda is another world, as the song goes.

Our friends also had the compromised card problem, but Silversea did not have their new number.   They finally received a refund via transfer into their checking account.  Although our refund was slowed by the compromised card issue, I think the fact that at the time of cancellation my TA notified them of the card issue, and that they already had the new card number in their system Resulted in finally getting the refund on the new number.

• 3 weeks later...

Cancelled the Moon TA Mar 2021 about 6 weeks ago. Received an email from Barbara Muckerman to the effect that the refund had been processed and the refund would be returned to the original form of payment between the 3rd and 10th of August. Today is 10th August, only 2 1/2 hrs until 11 Aug. Refund suspiciously absent. Very slight niggling worry developing. 

No need to worry IMHO.   No reason for suspicion (at least re SS).

I had refunds to three different credit cards for portions of payments for the same, very long cruise booking I cancelled.  The largest refund was apparently received by the credit card company on one date (it appeared on my statement) but was not actually posted/credited to my account until a week later.  I am confident that SS put through all three refunds at the same time, since they were for different payments on the same booking -- an amount so large that I had to use different cards.  But there was a gap of ~ 10 days before the first refund showed up (AMEX) and the last (Citibank).

2 hours ago, wren2 said:

I too am waiting for my refund requested 48 days ago. Their refund process in the U.K. is slow, too slow.

You are still way ahead of the 63 days we waited. It then took a further 2 and a bit weeks to get the money back from Amex. It may be slow but it will get there.

2 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

Cancelled the Moon TA Mar 2021 about 6 weeks ago. Received an email from Barbara Muckerman to the effect that the refund had been processed and the refund would be returned to the original form of payment between the 3rd and 10th of August. Today is 10th August, only 2 1/2 hrs until 11 Aug. Refund suspiciously absent. Very slight niggling worry developing. 

Based on my experience I suggest you chase it ASAP.

My first refund took 81 days.  In May Barbara said the process had been improved and should take 30-45 days.  I note from postings that US cruisers seem to get refunded within the 30-45 day time slot.

On 8/10/2020 at 10:59 PM, wren2 said:

I too am waiting for my refund requested 48 days ago. Their refund process in the U.K. is slow, too slow.

We received our refund (UK) after more than 80 days and several broken promises. We are mightily relieved that the money is back in our bank account, but never wish to go through such a stressful time again.

On 8/10/2020 at 9:31 PM, Tothesunset said:

To follow on from the above - the repayment hit my card overnight. So that was 47 days. I don't think that's too bad. 

For the first time since 2012 we have no future cruises booked. 😢

6 hours ago, Tothesunset said:

To follow on from the above - the repayment hit my card overnight. So that was 47 days. I don't think that's too bad. 

For the first time since 2012 we have no future cruises booked. 😢

Glad you got your refund sorted, otherwise 😢

• Thanks 1

TTS....Pleased your refund has arrived.47 days may be not bad for SS but it takes the flick of a button or two to deal with the electronic payment in 24 Hours.

We have similar thoughts,first time since 1999 no SS cruises booked in the current year and no change anticipated any time soon!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
12 hours ago, Caroldoll said:

Requested a cancellation two weeks ago.  I suppose it is too early to expect the money.  However, I am worried.  I had to cancel Regent and it was faster.  Hope it comes soon.

@Caroldoll There's really no cause to be worried after two weeks. As other posts in this thread show, a reasonable expectation at this point is around 45 days. It may come sooner, as all the cruise lines have been steadily improving their systems and staffing to deal with these circumstances, but there's no sign of insolvency in the near future, nor reports that refunds have stopped,  so I'd just try to sit back and wait for a few more weeks and expect to see the refund in the next month or so.