Canadian ports closed to cruise ships until at least October 31st

Mears Family

56 minutes ago, Mears Family said:

Just announced by Transport Minister.  

The size cutoff to permit small ships is now 100.

Actually, the transport minister banned all ships that carry more than 100 persons (that would include crew) from Canadian waters not just the ports.

"Cruise ships with overnight accommodations allowed to carry more than 100 persons are prohibited from operating in Canadian waters until October 31, 2020."

34 minutes ago, frugaltravel said:

Heartbreaking!  I just called in about my reservation to see if they can move it now to a cruise for next summer.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that I am able to catch this before their official cancellation announcement.  

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

Actually, the transport minister banned all ships that carry more than 100 persons (that would include crew) from Canadian waters not just the ports.

"Cruise ships with overnight accommodations allowed to carry more than 100 persons are prohibited from operating in Canadian waters until October 31, 2020."

I noticed this, too. I had originally wondered if maybe those lines still planning on doing Alaska from Seattle could still do it with their Victoria stop but just not let anyone off the ship. The piece about Canadian waters suggests that won't be an option now...

1 hour ago, Daniel A said:

If you look at the backgrounder to the Minister’s announcement, you’ll find the following buried in it....

These measures do not apply to cruise ships exercising their right of innocent passage under international conventions in Canadian waters. For passage through Arctic waters, a vessel must provide 60 days’ notice to the Minister of Transport.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Cruise Raider said:

Heartbreaking!  I just called in about my reservation to see if they can move it now to a cruise for next summer.  I am keeping my fingers crossed that I am able to catch this before their official cancellation announcement.  

Don't cancel, let Princess cancel, that way you can take advantage of their offers such as doubling your deposit if you haven't yet paid in full.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Don't cancel, let Princess cancel, that way you can take advantage of their offers such as doubling your deposit if you haven't yet paid in full.

is it just 'deposits'? what about periodic payments made toward the balance ?

1 hour ago, voljeep said:

is it just 'deposits'? what about periodic payments made toward the balance ?

I think it's whatever you have down, but who am I to know for sure. Remember, they didn't believe me when I said more cruises would be cancelled.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, CineGraphic said:

Remember, they didn't believe me when I said more cruises would be cancelled.

I didn't not believe you, but thought it is rather obvious that more cruises will be cancelled,

so you announcing it was not that exciting.

In carnival's quarterly filing, they said something like they plan to restart with less than all ships,

and some ship may be in extended layup.

To achieve that, they obviously have to cancel (at least) cruises on the ships in extended layup.

I predict more cancellations in the future.

Believe me, or not, as you wish...

Edited by Roberto256

I am not surprised that Canada has set the end of October as the cutoff date.  That pretty well takes out all cruising into/out of Canada for this year.  St Thomas has announced that they will open up for cruise ships June 1.  Difference is that Canada does not need cruise ships while St Thomas is dependent on them.  So now the question becomes are other Caribbean ports going to open up so that cruising in the Caribbean can commence.  Carnival is trying to start cruising again with 8 ships out of Galveston/Miami/Port Canaveral.  Time will tell if they are successful.  I would like to see them test the waters so to speak. 

6 hours ago, CineGraphic said:

I've paid in full and would never take the so called 'offer'.  

2 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

Whatever works for you. Who am I to judge? I'm not going to walk away from the chance to double my money.

Except you won’t double your money.  You’ll end up with a credit you can (hopefully) use at a later date for an, as yet to be determined, ‘cost’.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Cruise Raider said:

...Or lose it all.  

1 minute ago, d9704011 said:

Except you won’t double your money.  You’ll end up with a credit you can (hopefully) use at a later date for an, as yet to be determined, ‘cost’.

I'm not the least bit worried. To me, this is almost as good as buying a $1000 Princess Gift Card on Ebay for $500. It sounds risky at first until you check things out and find out if you're protected or not. I feel safe that I'll either get all of my money back, or go on a cruise for a decent, if not excellent price.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CineGraphic said:

I'm not the least bit worried. To me, this is almost as good as buying a $1000 Princess Gift Card on Ebay for $500. It sounds risky at first until you check things out and find out if you're protected or not. I feel safe that I'll either get all of my money back, or go on a cruise for a decent, if not excellent price.

Fair enough.  Time will tell and I hope it works out well for you.

• Like 2