Canada bans cruise ships until 10/31

phoenix_dream

3 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

While what you say is true, I'm not sure the wet coast is what poffles has in mind. They want Canadian health care benefits and infrastructure but Caribbean weather (hold the hurricanes) and prices. 

Exactly ... I know too well what the weather is like in all areas of Canada and there is no area that comes near the Caribbean weather year round.  Give me the heat so I can enjoy an outdoor pool year round 🙂

Sadly it is beware what you (I) wish for since the good always comes with bad as I also know too well. 

4 hours ago, bigbenboys said:

Vancouver Island is well known for having some of the warmest and most temperate weather in Canada. ... As a result, most coastal Vancouver Island communities experience warm, dry summers and mild, rainy winters with infrequent freezing temperatures.

Yes I do know the weather in all our Canadian provinces (having lived my entire life in Canada for more years than I will announce here).  It may be more temperate warm weather but it still will not compare to the Caribbean.  We just need a border extension to the south ... a simple ask.  🙂

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mahdnc said:

Published yesterday in the Vancouver Sun: link

Hopefully Celebrity will act quickly and do the right thing and cancel cruises. Our final payment is due 13 June for our September cruise out of Vancouver BC. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Hopefully Celebrity will act quickly and do the right thing and cancel cruises. Our final payment is due 13 June for our September cruise out of Vancouver BC. 

Are you on the Millennium or Eclipse?  We are on the 9/25 Eclipse which has disappeared from the X site.  The Millie is still showing.  Eclipse is also not showing on 2 other large sites.  Maybe just a IT mess-up but hope it means they cancelling.  Final payment is coming soon.

15 minutes ago, jelayne said:

Are you on the Millennium or Eclipse?  We are on the 9/25 Eclipse which has disappeared from the X site.  The Millie is still showing.  Eclipse is also not showing on 2 other large sites.  Maybe just a IT mess-up but hope it means they cancelling.  Final payment is coming soon.

20 September Eclipse cruise (very short cruise). I also saw that our cruise was no longer listed on Celebrity's website or other online websites. I too hope this means Celebrity has cancelled and will be making an announcement or sending out Emails to us sometime next week. 

Edited by davekathy

55 minutes ago, davekathy said:

Look for your cancellation around June 24. That fits the pattern Celebrity has established to date.

• Haha 1

On 5/29/2020 at 3:42 PM, Prost Seattle said:

I wonder how long it will take Celebrity to cancel/reschedule the affected cruises?  I’m on Solstice from Vancouver 9/18/2020 to Hawai’i. and final payment is due 6/20/2020.  

email customer services and ask for a decision now. I know I will.

I have a lot of cash tied up on this trip departing 18/9, flights, hotels, accommodation both in Vancouver and Honolulu.

I`m still awaiting my UK travel agent to refund me for an Azamara trip I cancelled on 25/3 and I won't be happy if I`m asked for a final balance on something that isn't going to happen.

Decisions have to be made and answers given sooner rather than later

You can email customer service but they won’t have any different information than what is available today.  If & when cancellations occur CS finds out about the same time as the public announcement. 

5 minutes ago, govanguy said:

Decisions have to be made and answers given sooner rather than later

I agree that this is the way that Celebrity should be treating its customers, but regrettably they have chosen to make monthly announcements that in many cases fall just after final payment dates. As it benefits Celebrity financially to continue in this manner, I don't anticipate any change in their method or timing of cancelations.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, poffles said:

Yes I do know the weather in all our Canadian provinces (having lived my entire life in Canada for more years than I will announce here).  It may be more temperate warm weather but it still will not compare to the Caribbean.  We just need a border extension to the south ... a simple ask.  🙂

I've been to the Yukon and to every Canadian province.  Canada is a cold, cold country.  Some places are just colder than others.  (Try Haines Junction in the Yukon in mid-December.)

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, jelayne said:

You can email customer service but they won’t have any different information than what is available today.  If & when cancellations occur CS finds out about the same time as the public announcement. 

You can't just lie down and accept that. You really have to try.

I`ve just emailed both Celebrity and my T.A.

Dependant on the reply, if any, I`ll decide on my next form of action.

Wish me luck

14 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

I've been to the Yukon and to every Canadian province.  Canada is a cold, cold country.  Some places are just colder than others.  (Try Haines Junction in the Yukon in mid-December.)

Not all of Canada is a cold, cold country.  You live close enough to us to know Bainbridge weather is almost the same as Vancouver and Victoria.  Just as an aside - for years Victoria never owned any snow removal equipment.  They almost never get snow.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

No, I will Not try that Junction! I consider any day below 40F darn right Cold and any water below 80F way too cold to get into. I’ve become a true Floridian.

Ignoring a minor thing such as a Pandemic, I think Canada should keeps it’s boarders open until 31 Oct and then close it all up to visitors until May or so.....except Canadians can all come down here so I can enjoy watching them walk around in shorts and jump into that freezing cold Gulf of Mexico water that’s 65F in the winter!!!

Some people just don’t understand such things as what is really too cold....and too hot. I realize it gets very hot here in the Fla Panhandle, but it’s really the humidity, not the temperature that’s a ‘bit’ of a problem. My daughter lives in Phoenix area and insists we need to move there. I explain that is tooooo hot, but she says its dry heat.......I remind her, my oven is ‘dry heat’ and thats toooooo hot!

Den

• Haha 2

12 minutes ago, Marken said:

Not all of Canada is a cold, cold country.  You live close enough to us to know Bainbridge weather is almost the same as Vancouver and Victoria.  Just as an aside - for years Victoria never owned any snow removal equipment.  They almost never get snow.

As I said, some places in Canada are just colder than others.

Yes indeed, my home town has similar weather to Vancouver and Victoria.  But there is one difference.  Nobody here touts the community as Washington's or the USA's "banana belt."  (I'm so amused when Canadians apply that description to Victoria and the Lower Mainland.)   

Edited by DaveSJ711

11 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

No, I will Not try that Junction! I consider any day below 40F darn right Cold and any water below 80F way too cold to get into. I’ve become a true Floridian.

Ignoring a minor thing such as a Pandemic, I think Canada should keeps it’s boarders open until 31 Oct and then close it all up to visitors until May or so.....except Canadians can all come down here so I can enjoy watching them walk around in shorts and jump into that freezing cold Gulf of Mexico water that’s 65F in the winter!!!

Some people just don’t understand such things as what is really too cold....and too hot. I realize it gets very hot here in the Fla Panhandle, but it’s really the humidity, not the temperature that’s a ‘bit’ of a problem. My daughter lives in Phoenix area and insists we need to move there. I explain that is tooooo hot, but she says its dry heat.......I remind her, my oven is ‘dry heat’ and thats toooooo hot!

Den

That minus 35 degrees Fahrenheit day in Haines Junction (minus 37 Celsius) remains the coldest temperature I've ever "enjoyed" and one of my two most memorable Canadian experiences.  (The other was a trip to the emergency room in Bonavista, Newfoundland, after a sliding window fell and crushed several of my fingers.)

O Canada, indeed.

43 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Yes it definitely is!  There are some pretty cold areas and I've lived in a few of them.  Northern Ontario where there was so much snow in the winter they had no place to put it when they plowed the streets which resulted in piles so high on street corners they would be higher than the houses ..totally normal.   Also lived in Edmonton and also cold winters, so cold the inside of your nose freezes but at least it is dry cold and yes it makes a difference. Here in Nova Scotia, being mostly coastal, the cold is more often wet and damp with snow more often slush, that ain't no peach either.  I guess it makes us all  appreciate the summer more and these days that is seeming like all we will have for a while so we'll need to learn to appreciate what we have.

33 minutes ago, Denny01 said:

My daughter lives in Phoenix area and insists we need to move there. I explain that is tooooo hot, but she says its dry heat.......I remind her, my oven is ‘dry heat’ and thats toooooo hot!

Bwahahahahahahah .....🤣

3 minutes ago, poffles said:

Here in Nova Scotia, being mostly coastal, the cold is more often wet and damp with snow more often slush, that ain't no peach either.

Having shovelled (and shovelled and shovelled and shovelled...) my way through 90 cm or so of snow dropped on us in a single day by White Juan during our last winter in Halifax, I'm glad that you qualified your statement with "more often". :classic_wacko:

4 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

Having shovelled (and shovelled and shovelled and shovelled...) my way through 90 cm or so of snow dropped on us in a single day by White Juan during our last winter in Halifax, I'm glad that you qualified your statement with "more often". :classic_wacko:

LOL ... yep I was here for that 🙂  Our very unpredictable winters and that one was a doozie !!!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, govanguy said:

You can't just lie down and accept that. You really have to try.

I`ve just emailed both Celebrity and my T.A.

Dependant on the reply, if any, I`ll decide on my next form of action.

Wish me luck

There are no Eclipse sailing on the website for August or September, they have all been removed.  At least no one can book.  Our final payment is 6/27  so hopefully some word before then. 

Now back to the Canada travel & geography discussion😉

42 minutes ago, Fouremco said:

I remember our first trip to Cape Breton Island in NS -- late May and still a meter of snow along the Cabot Trail.  PEI was much nicer at that time of year.

• Like 1