Canada bans cruise ships until 10/31

phoenix_dream

3 hours ago, Fouremco said:

Look for your cancellation around June 24. That fits the pattern Celebrity has established to date.

That sucks! Our final payment is 13 June. With all due respect I hope you're wrong. I]m holding out for a lot sooner date since Canada has now released the extended lock down and hope Celebrity will do the right thing and send out cancellation notices as soon as next week. 🤞🤞 Wearing my rose colored glasses as I type this. 😍

Edited by davekathy

1 minute ago, davekathy said:

That sucks! Our final payment is 13 June. With all due respect I hope you're wrong. I]m holding out for a lot sooner date since Canada has now released the extended lock down and hope Celebrity will do the right thing and send out cancellation notices as soon as next week. 🤞🤞

I hope I'm wrong too, for you and a lot of others. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, govanguy said:

You can't just lie down and accept that. You really have to try.

I`ve just emailed both Celebrity and my T.A.

Dependant on the reply, if any, I`ll decide on my next form of action.

Wish me luck

I wish you luck.  But truthfully, sometimes you just have to "accept that".  They won't cancel individual's cruises until they've cancelled the entire sailing.  There are not a lot of options left open to you.  You can try to file a grievance (or whatever it's officially called) with your credit card company - some people have apparently been successful doing that.  But the hard and unhappy facts of the matter is that your hands are pretty much tied.  They are under no legal obligation to cancel X number of days ahead of time, even if they know it won't sail.   Not sure if you had a west coast or east coast cruise - if the latter they may be trying to replace ports with stops like Nassau and add days at sea, so the cruise may not be actually cancelled at all (although I sure wouldn't want to replace my nice cruise with an itinerary like that!)

2 hours ago, Blackduck59 said:

Of course here in Victoria (The Palm Beach of Canada's south west😉) we had the blizzard of 96 was memorable, it is very rare to have that kind of snow here. I remember another big dump in the mid 60's as well

I remember that dump in 96. We were visiting my parents on Triangle Mtn and the power went out. It took them 24 hrs to restore it. Thankfully they had a fireplace, and we made a run to Timmy's for coffee as soon as the plows FINALLY made it up the hill.

19 minutes ago, mom says said:

I remember that dump in 96. We were visiting my parents on Triangle Mtn and the power went out. It took them 24 hrs to restore it. Thankfully they had a fireplace, and we made a run to Timmy's for coffee as soon as the plows FINALLY made it up the hill.

My place is on the south side of Triangle at the base. I was living on Kelly Road at the time of the dump. Thankfully these snow dumps seem to only come every 30 years or so.

The problem is they may not even cancel the cruise - just re reoute it to become a sea trip to Bermuda and back - luckily our Sep final payment isnt until July so hopefuly we'll know by then.

I wonder what they will do about the repositioning cruises from Vancouver in September? Will they even consider moving the ships to the far east anyway? And if so from which port?

Edited by jerseylily

2 hours ago, jerseylily said:

I wonder what they will do about the repositioning cruises from Vancouver in September? Will they even consider moving the ships to the far east anyway? And if so from which port?

Repositioning from where to where?  Can you provide an example?

Repositioning from where to where?  Can you provide an example? 

The cuise I am supposed to be on from Vancouver to Yokohama for Tokyo in September. Still showing on site.

Edited by jerseylily

19 minutes ago, jerseylily said:

The cuise I am supposed to be on from Vancouver to Yokohama for Tokyo in September. Still showing on site.

I guess that would be the September 11 Millennium cruise?  If so, plenty of speculation on that at the Roll Call.  If it goes forward, probably depart from LA or SF, not Seattle.  I expect you’ll be getting some details this week.

3 hours ago, jerseylily said:

All sailing in August & September have been removed from the Celebrity website- that includes the Eclipse 9/25 Vancouver to Yokohama TP, although the scheduled Eclipse October Asia sailings after the TP are a showing.  
The Millennium 9/11 TP sailing is sill showing but that will have to have a new embarkation port in order to sail.

41 minutes ago, jelayne said:

All sailing in August & September have been removed from the Celebrity website- that includes the Eclipse 9/25 Vancouver to Yokohama TP, although the scheduled Eclipse October Asia sailings after the TP are a showing.  
The Millennium 9/11 TP sailing is sill showing but that will have to have a new embarkation port in order to sail.

Correction I meant to say “All Eclipse sailings in August and September

On 5/30/2020 at 10:16 AM, stoshb said:

Regarding the 9/18 Vancouver - Honolulu cruise.

I am going for the record on number of times a reservation can be canceled by Celebrity.  In Jan 2018, while on Equinox made a reservation for Equinox in Jan 2020.  That got canceled due to dry-dock issues and reservation moved to a longer cruise leaving end of January.  That got canceled due to ship not scheduled to be out of dry-dock in time.  Reservation moved to May, 2020 and Covid came in and canceled that one.  Moved that reservation to the Sept 18 cruise to Hawaii.  Now that will be canceled.

Every time there has been a cancelation, Celebrity has sweetened my deal by a bit.  Waiting to see what happens now.

Any suggestions as to what cruise I can book this time that will be canceled and I get more FCC?

At least I managed to get in a HA Alaska and a Oceania Caribbean cruise in the meantime. 

Life goes on and we just have to go with it or die.

Yes, this must be a record!  Amazing...should submit to Guinness Book of Records!

Please continue to post what you do book--so we don't book the same cruise...tongue in cheek!

Just for general info & comparison, similar complaints over on Oceania board about length of time for notification & refunds.  These are the 2 I've been reading.  We just got in a S. Pacific Oceania cruise Feb 17-Mar 5, have cancelled an Oceania Greek Isles cruise for Nov 2020 (our refunded deposit back on our credit Fri...1 business day short of 8 weeks from cancellation date, which is quicker than some, slower than others, with no apparent rhyme or reason re dates or sailings).  Also cancelled a Viking Rhine River cruise (departure date was this week) & for that took an FCC with very flexible terms.

Well, in my opinion if Canadians want to cruise they can always travel to some near by country and get a cruise there. I am sure river cruises will be available sooner then ocean and sea cruises. Moreover, I doubt that they will keep the ban for so long. I suppose they will ease the ban by the end of summer. It will depend on the current political situation 

1 minute ago, Roger88 said:

Well, in my opinion if Canadians want to cruise they can always travel to some near by country and get a cruise there. I am sure river cruises will be available sooner then ocean and sea cruises. Moreover, I doubt that they will keep the ban for so long. I suppose they will ease the ban by the end of summer. It will depend on the current political situation 

It really has nothing to do with whether Canadians can cruise or not, it's about the many many Cruises that have been cancelled because of the our ports being closed. I dare say these closures affect many more international travelers than it does Canadians.

Our next cruise if it happens will leave from Auckland, New Zealand. Not near by. I for one would be reluctant to travel to the most "near by" country for anything in the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Roger88 said:

Please elaborate on the "nearby" countries that offer cruise departures and, most importantly, have opened their borders to all international tourists.

In Canada, as well as many other countries (although apparently not in your country), mitigation efforts that include border closures, are based on public health, not political concerns

16 minutes ago, mom says said:

Please elaborate on the "nearby" countries that offer cruise departures and, most importantly, have opened their borders to all international tourists.

In Canada, as well as many other countries (although apparently not in your country), mitigation efforts that include border closures, are based on public health, not political concerns

Not sure the latter part of that statement is true for any country at all -   opening or keeping closed both have political nuances (appear to be bold - appear to do the right thing)

But thats a sepreate isssue and not really for these boards

The odd thing is quite how far in advance this is - especially considering how in most countrys the push now seems to (at least appear) to  speed things up back to normality ... I suspect here its an easy scapegoat PR  (trust me we see them every day in the UK)  whilst appearing to move through the phases to keep people happy (and sane tbf) but with no consistency at all...

2 hours ago, ighten said:

Not sure the latter part of that statement is true for any country at all -   opening or keeping closed both have political nuances (appear to be bold - appear to do the right thing)

But thats a sepreate isssue and not really for these boards

The odd thing is quite how far in advance this is - especially considering how in most countrys the push now seems to (at least appear) to  speed things up back to normality ... I suspect here its an easy scapegoat PR  (trust me we see them every day in the UK)  whilst appearing to move through the phases to keep people happy (and sane tbf) but with no consistency at all...

As I’ve followed the news from both your country and our southern neighbour, daily/hourly now for three months, and daily I’ve also I’ve said a prayer of gratefulness for the privilege of living in a country where politics have been set aside for the most part in dealing with this Pandemic and the decisions made for the health and safety of Canada’s citizens has been based on science and the input of our Public Health Professionals.  Here on PEI our government has been following step by step the guidance of our Chief Medical Officer,  Dr. Heather Morrison....(google her, she’s a Rhodes Scholar)..Our government stands behind her completely.  Proud to say that

B.C.’s Pandemic hero,  CMO Dr. Bonnie Henry Is also a PEIslander. (Google her too, what a Wonder Woman).   

Canada has been proactive from the start.  Slightly behind in the beginning but have done things right, IMO, from late Feb/early March.   From what I Can see and have Learned about the UK and US, I do not believe you can put Canada in the same “ship” at all.

Yes, we have politics.  But our government has let Science lead the way and not allowed Politics to trump Health.

Closing our Ports to cruise ships until October 31 is proactive and sensible considering everything that’s going on and predicted for fall.  I love cruising.  But it is certainly not essential at this time or anything close to the near future......IMO.

• Like 6

1 hour ago, PEIpair said:

Canada has been proactive from the start.  Slightly behind in the beginning but have done things right, IMO, from late Feb/early March.   From what I Can see and have Learned about the UK and US, I do not believe you can put Canada in the same “ship” at all.

Not everything in Canada is sweetness and light.  Montreal in particular stands out as an active center for COVID.  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/13/coronavirus-montreal-canada-hit-hard

1 hour ago, PEIpair said:

As I’ve followed the news from both your country and our southern neighbour, daily/hourly now for three months, and daily I’ve also I’ve said a prayer of gratefulness for the privilege of living in a country where politics have been set aside for the most part in dealing with this Pandemic and the decisions made for the health and safety of Canada’s citizens has been based on science and the input of our Public Health Professionals.  Here on PEI our government has been following step by step the guidance of our Chief Medical Officer,  Dr. Heather Morrison....(google her, she’s a Rhodes Scholar)..Our government stands behind her completely.  Proud to say that

B.C.’s Pandemic hero,  CMO Dr. Bonnie Henry Is also a PEIslander. (Google her too, what a Wonder Woman).   

Yes, we have politics.  But our government has let Science lead the way and not allowed Politics to trump Health.

Closing our Ports to cruise ships until October 31 is proactive and sensible considering everything that’s going on and predicted for fall.  I love cruising.  But it is certainly not essential at this time or anything close to the near future......IMO.

Well said. At both the provincial and federal levels, the political leaders have listened to their respective medical experts.

15 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Not everything in Canada is sweetness and light.  Montreal in particular stands out as an active center for COVID.  https://www.theguardian.com/world/2020/may/13/coronavirus-montreal-canada-hit-hard

No one is saying that everything is sweetness and light. Quebec, and more specifically Montreal, have suffered greatly. A significant number of Quebec residents travelled to the US and to Europe during the first week of March and brought the virus back with them immediately before travel restrictions were recommended and then enforced. Had the school March break been a couple of weeks later, or had the threat posed by international travel been fully realized a couple of weeks earlier, things would be very different. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Indeed Montreal has some staggering numbers as does the entire Province of Quebec. Ontario has been hard hit as well, It just makes you wonder how bad it would have been without mitigation measures. Montreal and Toronto have 2 of the highest population densities in Canada. They also have the largest outbreaks. That being said we as a nation have bit the bullet and have done a pretty good job. I think that every province also releases a daily report of the status in that province.. I think that the situation in Canada is pretty much public knowledge.

2 hours ago, PEIpair said:

Dr Bonnie Henry is my hero!  Didn't realise that she was from PEI.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Well aware, it’s not all “sweetness and light” here.  With over 90,000 cases and approx 7300 deaths nationally,  Montreal having about 25,500 of those cases and almost 3000 deaths, we could say that Montreal is “our New York”.  Toronto has also been hard hit.

And there are other hotspots too.  

My point was, that this worldwide pandemic has not been politicized here in Canada and co-ordinated efforts across the country are being based on what’s best for Public Health.   And Governments are entrusting their decisions to the people in charge of that public health,   And even though each province (state) is responsible for their responses independently, we mostly seem to be all working on the same page - guided by our Federal Gov’t in a very non-partisan way.  
If you look at the overall picture here in Canada, I think you can see that this is working very well for the most part.  

With moves to open our economy slowly and carefully taking place as appropriate, it appears that so far we are still able to place the well-being of our citizens first.  We are not steam rolling ahead with the economy at the expense of lives.   

Yes, I know we can’t stay closed forever.  But a unified approach CAN work.

PEI stands to lose many, many millions of dollars by the cancelling of the 2020

cruise season.  It’s a lot of money to a small province of about 150,000 people.
But the vast majority are relieved it has been cancelled. We only have 2 small regional hospitals with very few ICU beds.  One cruise ship with an outbreak of Covid-19 would be our undoing.  So, again, I say thank you to our proactive Canadian Government on Port closures to cruising for 2020.

And may 2021 bring safer travel to all.

• Like 5

Closing the ports to cruise lines has nothing to do with protecting the health of Canadians. it is just political grandstanding. The cruise lines were never going to sail to Alaska or out of US New England ports to begin with the remainder of 2020.

• Like 1