Grand Turk port closure extended

young_ens

This announcement along with the announcement of the Canadian port closures makes me believe that Carnival knew this would be the situation back when they cancelled all sailings out of NYC back in April.  Wonder what else they "know".

Edited by jerseyjjs

2 hours ago, young_ens said:

I heard this just this morning:

The Grand Turk Cruise Center is closed. It was previously scheduled to open 30 June 2020. The new opening date is 31 August 2020.

Source: GT travel info site

No surprise there given the CDC order, but this may put a damper on itineraries.  Wonder if/when other ports follow suit?

Of course many other ports of call will follow suit. IT IS INEVITABLE. People may be ready to cruise, however the virus is not ready for them to do so...

✌️

• Like 4

2 hours ago, jerseyjjs said:

This announcement along with the announcement of the Canadian port closures makes me believe that Carnival knew this would be the situation back when they cancelled all sailings out of NYC back in April.  Wonder what else they "know".

Whatever the CDC is telling them...............................................which can and will be scary to cruisers if they (the CDC), feel the pandemic has not ceased enough for them to ease up on their restrictions.

Someone, (admittedly a person who has never been on a cruise,) said on TV that cruise ships were "petri" dishes. If this is the type of individual who will be making decisions for the CDC, I am fearful cruising will be in trouble.

• Like 1

" the Turks and Caicos Islands, which has officially announced it will reopen its borders on July 22. ...........

The Grand Turk Cruise Center will remain closed until at least Aug. 31, 2020, however. 

For more, visit Turks and Caicos Tourism. "

https://www.caribjournal.com/2020/05/29/turks-and-caicos-tourism-reopening/

Interesting. 

9 minutes ago, jerseyjjs said:

It's still the apparent "covid capital of the world". It's ONE of the reasons, yes.  But, why is Carnival the ONLY main cruise line to pull all ships out of the NYC area?  Norwegian, RCCL, Cunard, Disney, etc all still offer bookings from the NYC/Bayonne ports.  Carnival Corp. is the only one that sails to Grand Turk. 

the NYC port is a seasonal port for Carnival, Carnival only sails out of NYC during the summer months from June to September.  Norwegian and Royal cruises year-around with multiple ships out of NYC. It does not make sense to have a ship in NYC for a month or two before it needs to relocate again to a different port. By having a ship year around like what Norwegian and Royal does, it offers more flexibility of when they can cruises out of NYC

Starting next year or so, the Turks and Caicos is opening up the cruise terminal to other ships. Norwegian is now offering cruises to Grand Turk in 2021 and beyond

Edited by shof515

1 hour ago, jerseyjjs said:

It's still the apparent "covid capital of the world". It's ONE of the reasons, yes.  But, why is Carnival the ONLY main cruise line to pull all ships out of the NYC area?  Norwegian, RCCL, Cunard, Disney, etc all still offer bookings from the NYC/Bayonne ports.  Carnival Corp. is the only one that sails to Grand Turk. 

they are offering bookings, means nothing,  nobody is sailing yet

18 minutes ago, MeganGC1983 said:

I wouldn’t hold my breath! 😞 Sorry!

It wouldn’t actually bother me if Grand Turk and HMC got canceled. I’m going back to both a couple times next year. The ones that will hurt are Aruba and Bonaire. New ports for me and the reason I’m flying to Florida for a cruise instead of just driving to Galveston.

But if Grand Turk does happen...I may need to change my policy of not trying to be the first person off of the ship. To be the first cruiser in Grand Turk in months...this could be my Neil Armstrong moment.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

6 minutes ago, Saint Greg said:

It wouldn’t actually bother me if Grand Turk and HMC got canceled. I’m going back to both a couple times next year. The ones that will hurt are Aruba and Bonaire. New ports for me and the reason I’m flying to Florida for a cruise instead of just driving to Galveston.

But if Grand Turk does happen...I may need to change my policy of not trying to be the first person off of the ship. To be the first cruiser in Grand Turk in months...this could be my Neil Armstrong moment.

That’s one small step for Greg, one giant leap for cruise time! 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Saint Greg said:

I think the private cruise islands will still be open, their government is probably the cruise lines with some mild input from the countries that they are technically a part of..

• Like 1

I agree as no one lives there so the risk of infection is contained to the cruise ship and crew. I do believe there are people who commute by boat for excursions and such, but still pretty safe

24 minutes ago, FiremedicMike151 said:

I think the private cruise islands will still be open, their government is probably the cruise lines with some mild input from the countries that they are technically a part of..

I agree. If one port stays open it would be HMC. And really as soon as I posted that I thought to myself “someone is going to point out HMC is a private island that won’t be canceled.” I was just saying it wouldn’t bother me if we missed it since I’m going back next year. Aruba and Bonaire are why I booked that particular cruise. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 9:31 PM, petuniaflower said:

When would we know if/what GT would be replaced with if it was on an early August itinerary?   I was looking at a sailing with just Amber Cove and Grand Turk as the only 2 stops..

I called carnival yesterday and they said they "still hadn't heard official word" yet.. 

I'm not particularly worried about it ruining my cruise, but I am a planner so I would like to know what to expect.. 

• Like 1

On 5/31/2020 at 5:09 PM, Saint Greg said:

We're scheduled for GT on Sept 3.  It would not hurt my feelings if we don't make it.  It's not my favorite port.  I think it's highly overrated.  I know I will get flack for this, but it is what it is.

2 hours ago, Butterbean1000 said:

We're scheduled for GT on Sept 3.  It would not hurt my feelings if we don't make it.  It's not my favorite port.  I think it's highly overrated.  I know I will get flack for this, but it is what it is.

For people who just want to get off of the ship and be on a beach I can see the appeal. There doesn’t seem to be much else other than that though.

• Like 1