Riviera in January 2021. Would you book?

Roccaforte

The cruise we were considering was Riviera, January 3, 2021 to the Caribbean.  Our agent told us that even though there are cruises scheduled starting in August, she thinks it will not happen.  I doubt there are many bookings.  She’s recommending waiting until 2021.  We will hold off to see what happens.  I’m sure there will be plenty of cabins available at the last minute.  Does anyone know how close to sailing date you can book?  Maybe security issues require some time.  

2 hours ago, LHT28 said:

I thought you could move the  booking 

Do you have the paperwork  for  when you bought the cruise onboard??

Maybe check the fine print    even if you had an FCC you can move it  once  I believe

Yes we have moved it once.

1 hour ago, Roccaforte said:

The cruise we were considering was Riviera, January 3, 2021 to the Caribbean.  Our agent told us that even though there are cruises scheduled starting in August, she thinks it will not happen.  I doubt there are many bookings.  She’s recommending waiting until 2021.  We will hold off to see what happens.  I’m sure there will be plenty of cabins available at the last minute.  Does anyone know how close to sailing date you can book?  Maybe security issues require some time.  

some allow booking  up to the day before  in the past

but  this will be  a new World  when cruises start up again

18 hours ago, CintiPam said:

Like Mura and Paul, I also am a “no” right now and waiting for a vaccine.  

In addition, at this point in time, I have no idea whatsoever what modifications will be made to the Riviera onboard experience for health reasons.  

Adding both factors together, the stress I would endure over the months prior to sailing simply outweighs the possible benefit IMO.  

Agree 100%    Would not final pay until 30 days before.  No idea how things will change on the ship. Would need to follow CC to find out.  Lets see how it goes and then spend our money.

15 hours ago, JK300 said:

Isn't the FCC only applicable for new bookings? In Belgium (also UK office) it is.

John

John,

My understanding of the Travelers Assurance Program is that FCC can be used on an existing future cruise as long as final payment has not been made. This is also my UK TA’s interpretation. 
Should this not be the case, I will simply cancel my existing booking for January (prior to any penalties kicking in) and then rebook using the FCC.

Baz-t

8 minutes ago, Baz-t said:

John,

My understanding of the Travelers Assurance Program is that FCC can be used on an existing future cruise as long as final payment has not been made. This is also my UK TA’s interpretation. 
Should this not be the case, I will simply cancel my existing booking for January (prior to any penalties kicking in) and then rebook using the FCC.

Baz-t

Baz-t,

I was not allowed to use my FCC for an onboard booking, my TA had a discussion about that with Oceania UK, unfortunately. Being loyal doesn't always pays off I guess. 😑

John

I am currently booked on a Tahiti cruise with Windstar for Jan. 14, 2021. If that one doesn't happen due to the French Polynesian government not allowing it and Oceania is sailing in the Caribbean in January, then I would book a cruise with O. But only if face masks are not required. If the masks have to be worn when not in your cabin then I will not go on any cruise that requires has this policy. I will wait to cruise until there are no masks needed. 

• Thanks 1

In January 2020, we asked our travel agent to book a January 2021 cruise on Riviera. He said that there were lots of available cabins and suggested waiting to book while we were on Sirena in March 2020.  Oceania unlike other lines will not add onboard booking perks if you sail after booking a future cruise.  So we waited. We got caught sailing on March 13th when the cruising ban happened.  After that experience, we didn’t book.  Also, after that our travel agent who we had used for many years was let go from the online agency.  It was the start of uncertain times in travel and cruising.  As much as I wish life would return to normal like it was before covid 19, the reality is until there is a vaccine or cure, we will stay home. We have fcc and not sure if we will ever use it.  We are patient and will wait to see how cruising will be when they sail again.  Not rushing to book.  There are lots of empty cabins and prices are dropping.  Keeping my money until we know more. 

Here’s my experience.

For reference I am in the UK.

I have been watching this virus since it started in China at the start of the year. Prepped for shortages quietly and carefully in January and early Feb. Cancelled and rebooked a cruise with another line I had for November this year at the end of March - rebooked it in fact for March 2022.

Ive now rebooked that for a second time for November 2021 and booked Sirena for 11 days in May 2021.

Reasoning:
IF cruising resumes by then (which I think it will) the landscape and protocols will be different and the question will not necessarily be is it safe - it will be as safe as it can be - the question will be is it in a form which you can deal with compared to how it was.

The Sirena cruise is Southampton - Southampton, 70 minutes by car for me, no flight and Western Europe, most of the ports we will not be getting off the ship for. I am fairly confident that a small ship, sensible measures in line with what the state of the virus is at the time and common sense will see us through.

The November cruise is again Southampton - Southampton, on a mid sized P and O ship and we have a suite - we have space to keep a bit more distant if we want to.

I dont know if we will ever get as functional a vaccine as people want. I would rather travel less to get to a cruise, and admittedly, take advantage from a certain level of bargain (as I have with the Sirena cruise) and taking into account pot odds and have a calculated risk.

One thing is for sure, Norovirus is going to be right down on cruises!

37 minutes ago, ToxM said:

most of the ports we will not be getting off the ship for. I am fairly confident that a small ship, sensible measures in line with what the state of the virus is at the time and common sense will see us through.

Here is what I think you might be too optimistic about. You may not be getting off the ship but everybody else will be and IF anyone gets infected, you may find yourself in the middle of it. It is even more infectious than Noro.

Of course, things may be very different by then and you may be perfectly safe.

All the best for your cruise .

• Like 1

Here is what I think you might be too optimistic about. You may not be getting off the ship but everybody else will be and IF anyone gets infected, you may find yourself in the middle of it. It is even more infectious than Noro.
Of course, things may be very different by then and you may be perfectly safe.
All the best for your cruise .

I absolutely agree regarding anyone bringing it back on board with them, we just have to be careful and hope for the best. My mother is desperate for a holiday and she was planning on a week in Turkey, the thought of the transits through the airports filled me with dread, let alone 4 hours on a plane. A cruise from the UK on a smaller ship just seems potentially less dangerous.

I do wonder how many will travel internationally to embark on cruises for the next year or so however. Southampton to Southampton itineraries were definitely a draw for me.

2 minutes ago, ToxM said:

I absolutely agree regarding anyone bringing it back on board with them, we just have to be careful and hope for the best. My mother is desperate for a holiday and she was planning on a week in Turkey, the thought of the transits through the airports filled me with dread, let alone 4 hours on a plane. A cruise from the UK on a smaller ship just seems potentially less dangerous.

I do wonder how many will travel internationally to embark on cruises for the next year or so however. Southampton to Southampton itineraries were definitely a draw for me.

Hope it all works out well and your mom won't be disappointed.

We're still stay-at-homers.

I've become a cruise depositing fool. Three so far, one in April, one late May and one late November. Due to husbands health our options are limited to cruising, and while I may be sorely disappointed, hope the stars align to be able to follow through on at least one. So much has to evolve, safety of cruises, safety of the populations we visit, our own health, governmental restrictions and the big question- the development and efficacy of a vaccine. As older, retired, grandparents we'll surely be the last to get the vaccine- and it's difficult to fathom the time involved in distributing it and doing it by "essential-ness". 1,2,3 years even? I get so depressed at the prospect of not seeing my kids and grandkids indefinitely.

The mere possibility of a cruise keeps my psyche in check in the absence of extended family, community volunteering, my minor job in health care. I admire those of you who abstain from putting good money out there subject to loss. Maybe I'm out of control but at this point I feel to hell with my potential squandering. It's cheaper than mental health counseling.  And I'll be the first to admit to psychopathy.

• Like 4

37 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

The mere possibility of a cruise keeps my psyche in check in the absence of extended family, community volunteering, my minor job in health care.

Whatever makes you feel a little better in these difficult times is a good thing. There are a lot of worse things that you could do than book a cruise.😀

If things don't work out , you'll get your money back.

Just now, Paulchili said:

Whatever makes you feel a little better in these difficult times is a good thing. There are a lot of worse things that you could do than book a cruise.😀

If things don't work out , you'll get your money back.

Thanks for your kind words of support Paul. Means a lot.

• Like 1

We are more wait and see.  We will glean from others reporting through CC on their experiences.

We have a FCC that expires at the end of the year so if there are any interesting Caribbean cruises for early 2021, we might go for it.  We are only going to sail out of Miami. No air or overseas destinations for us until 2022.

7 hours ago, Petoonya said:

I get so depressed at the prospect of not seeing my kids and grandkids indefinitely.

The mere possibility of a cruise keeps my psyche in check in the absence of extended family, community volunteering, my minor job in health care.

Petoonya, I feel your pain about kids and grands.  We quash a pity almost daily.  But I take exception to your "minor" job.  Nothing in healthcare is "minor" right now.  As an RN with DH receiving 2 cancer treatments, I retired in March.  Mostly to protect him from any undue exposure that I might encounter.

All my respect and admiration for whatever you do in healthcare.  And may you and your sweetheart travel soon. 

Katie

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, KatieBelle said:

Petoonya, I feel your pain about kids and grands.  We quash a pity almost daily.  But I take exception to your "minor" job.  Nothing in healthcare is "minor" right now.  As an RN with DH receiving 2 cancer treatments, I retired in March.  Mostly to protect him from any undue exposure that I might encounter.

All my respect and admiration for whatever you do in healthcare.  And may you and your sweetheart travel soon. 

Katie

You are an angel Katie. I share your profession. Was doing hospice before. Like you I'm on furlough to protect dh from exposure. Battling kids/grandkids deprivation is daunting isn't it?

Not the first time I've received kind words from your heart- thank you for your beautiful thoughts. Wishing you and your love health and happiness.

• Like 1