Boxes Are Us?

jetsfan58

Cruise Critic listeners good morning. Unfortunately we are seeing more and more natural disasters (hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, etc.) happening at a very rapid pace. I have been blessed to have survived my share of tragic moments. 

During these tragedies, agencies such as Red Cross and National Guard provide meals and safety in time of discomfort/need. What if Carnival made available to all passengers the choice of "Boxed" Meals? This initiative would decrease the number of passengers waiting in line to be fed, would keep the process moving rather quickly and would ensure that the only individuals handling the meals are the food preparing staff. It could be offered during breakfast, lunch and dinner as an option to the traditional MDR and buffet choices?

Your Thoughts?   

G'morning. I think you put forth an interesting concept, but in all honestly it won't get off the ground for many reasons.

1.  Those who cruise are not in the least confronted with a disaster. With no hardships. They are confronted with leisure, and looking forward to good times for all.

2. Boxed meals leave no choice for the cruiser to choose what foods they may desire. That's one of the great things about a cruise. An almost limitless variety of foods from which to choose. You can't have that with a boxed meal. Taking away the freedom of choice of what foods they can have would be untenable for most passengers. 

• Like 2

Joe817 very good commentary. Hopefully Carnival would offer a variety that is similar to and/or includes a potion of whatever that daily menu offers and maybe PBJ for kids. By no means am I suggesting we lose variety and choice. That would spell disaster and spark a mild revolution for cruisers.  

Boxed meals with choices.....for cruises (if they sail) in the immediate (pre-vaccine) future sounds good to me.   You can check off what you want and the time you want it.  It would be "extended and free" room service.  Then they could cut down on the MDR and buffet.

But, I know I'm in the minority.  The people cruise for the MDR "aura of elegance" concept or buffet "all you can eat" concept.

ETA:  I'm a buffet person, and on Carnival the choices are limited (compared to NCL) so I don't think it would be difficult or confusing to do this.  Maybe even "portion size" so the big eaters would still get a large serving.

Edited by MsTabbyKats
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I can do boxed meals anywhere. Not happening on a cruise.

But, suppose you could still do "other meals"?

If people who cared about social distancing/masks etc had the option to dine in their cabins (finally....a use for that balcony) it would free up space in the MDR and buffet.

I'm really going for the "expanded room service" concept.  It would solve some of the crowding/long line issues.

19 minutes ago, 1025cruise said:

I can do boxed meals anywhere. Not happening on a cruise.

In my opinion most MDR and buffet food on Carnival is on par with your typical catered box food or feed bag land buffet.  I do like the premium restaurants more & the convenience of

walking a few floors over driving across town.  But if you rated changes required to sail, reducing food options would be less imposing to me than no ports or no lounge chairs.

The idea leaves me cold..  I don't cruise for picnic boxed lunches.  Would they be served in cabin only or ship wide?  Room service doesn't come fresh, it comes lukewarm.  I can see the mess all over the outside decks. Strict rules regarding separating trash would make it impossible for cruisers to dispose of their own leftovers, utensils, etc.

Just my opinion.

• Like 3

Thanks for the great input and please keep it coming. I know how passionate we all are about cruising and the experience/pleasure we get. My family and I have made cruising our annual vacations with no more land vacations. I really am part of and truly understand the passion.

However, this is only another suggested method to alleviate the overcrowding that is going to need to be addressed prior to any of us getting back on board. Hopefully this initiative would not "cheapen"  our cruise value or experience but lend a sense of "health concern" to Carnival.

9 minutes ago, bury me at sea said:

The idea leaves me cold..  I don't cruise for picnic boxed lunches.  Would they be served in cabin only or ship wide?  Room service doesn't come fresh, it comes lukewarm.  I can see the mess all over the outside decks. Strict rules regarding separating trash would make it impossible for cruisers to dispose of their own leftovers, utensils, etc.

Just my opinion.

Agreed.  I have no problem with this option being offered, as long as it didn't replace existing food options, but my first reaction to this idea was I don't cruise to eat boxed meals.  And as pointed out, then there's the trash issues to address.  Perhaps this idea would appeal more to children, as an addition to kids menus....

• Like 1

I still practice active recycling. As long as the materials utilized are recyclable I think Carnival would pass the test. Maybe I am not supposed to mention this but unfortunately I have seen passengers take fruit and other foods off of the ships. That's not necessarily a nuance to cruising. 

Just reporting the facts. 

15 minutes ago, jetsfan58 said:

I still practice active recycling. As long as the materials utilized are recyclable I think Carnival would pass the test. Maybe I am not supposed to mention this but unfortunately I have seen passengers take fruit and other foods off of the ships. That's not necessarily a nuance to cruising. 

Just reporting the facts. 

Jetsfan, the recycling issue would be huge.  It isn't that most cruisers might not be so inclined.  It is an issue of how the trash has to be separated to stay in compliance with disposing of trash at sea.

There's a reason you don't see many trash receptacles on the Lido deck.  The cruise line doesn't want passengers separating their own trash.

I appreciate all ideas for getting us back to cruising sooner and safely.

• Like 1

Are the cruise lines going to fill empty cabins with extra staff? Someone has to take, prepare, and deliver the meal's. Additional staff to pick up the discards. How many boxes are going to get blown off of the balconies?

I see trays disappearing from room service - just another possible carrier of viruses. So from that standpoint might make sense.

Aside from a practical issue this a nonsensical idea. I pay money to go on a luxury vacation and get a box lunch?? Am I missing something???

Maybe  they can have ready made cocktails in juice boxes and wine in pre poured cups. Would people go to the Waldorf in Manhattan to get Holiday inn treatment?? I doubt it. 
I am all for good ideas but when it takes the experience and cheapens it to something I could get in a school cafeteria - I am out.

I don’t even care about the environmental issues as this idea my be the best idea to get people to not cruise, or go on carnival again if they would adopt this. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, TooManyWakeUpsTilWeSail said:

In my opinion most MDR and buffet food on Carnival is on par with your typical catered box food or feed bag land buffet.  I do like the premium restaurants more & the convenience of

walking a few floors over driving across town.  But if you rated changes required to sail, reducing food options would be less imposing to me than no ports or no lounge chairs.

You hit the nail on the head, because they serve it on china and with waiters and a nice environment viola forgot the food was mass produced by the hundreds, LOL.  The food on every cruise I had was not even close to the best restaurants on land.  

I am a sucker for those sit down and do enjoy the whole experience, want real food go to a boutique restaurant.  But do love the value of the moving hotel and 4 meals a day, crowded cheap entertainment and crowded disease nurturing pools, theaters, bars, but hey I'm health, and low risk.

If cruise came with them delivered in their china covered to my balcony that would also be okay, but sadly a cruise with social distancing isn't a cruise.     

cnn_covid_deaths 05-26-2020.JPG

Edited by chipmaster
  • Like 1

Cruise Critic family very nice comments, ideas and suggestions. I am very passionate about our current and future eco system. I remain extremely concerned about the cleanliness of our waterways and beaches, the safety of our marine animals and the clean air that we all desire to breathe. Our passion for cruising includes all these and many more relative issues.  

However, Carnival is a business destined to please shareholders, passengers and increase profitability. Like most major corporations they have "trade-off" strategies that are often discussed throughout their operating quarters. The "trade-off" mentioned by many of you and presented here appears to be whether to continue to reduce our "waste footprint" or do we try and "lessen" the effect of the virus spreading by "boxing" food?  My hope is that someone (the beards as Heald refers) is discussing these types of topics and listening to the public.

Wouldn't you love to be that listening "Fly" in the room? 

Guys I have had the opportunity to dine at restaurants throughout this and other countries. Many of the so called "high-class" establishments provide you with a "take home" box at the end of your unfinished meal. What's the difference of walking out of a 5 Star establishment with a "box" vs. Cruising on a Carnival luxury ship and walking a "box" to your cabin? 

I remain very humble and just very grateful to be able to have the opportunity to enjoy cruising with family and friends.   

• Like 1

I don’t know if the boxed lunches are going to take off but I have been thinking a one year moratorium  on room service charges would be a good way to promote social distancing on the ship. Free in room movies was another idea I had. 

Edited by Saint Greg
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, jetsfan58 said:

Cruise Critic listeners good morning. Unfortunately we are seeing more and more natural disasters (hurricanes, tornadoes, floods, etc.) happening at a very rapid pace. I have been blessed to have survived my share of tragic moments. 

During these tragedies, agencies such as Red Cross and National Guard provide meals and safety in time of discomfort/need. What if Carnival made available to all passengers the choice of "Boxed" Meals? This initiative would decrease the number of passengers waiting in line to be fed, would keep the process moving rather quickly and would ensure that the only individuals handling the meals are the food preparing staff. It could be offered during breakfast, lunch and dinner as an option to the traditional MDR and buffet choices?

Your Thoughts?   

No

Carnival is not a luxury cruise line.  It’s the “value” line. But boxed lunches...heck no! 
The current room service menu IS mostly picnic lunch foods. 
Why add boxes to the trash? Save that for kids clubs. 

IMHO, expanding the current room service menu back a few, or more, changes would interest us. 
Room Service should again be included in base fare. Tip as we wish. They’d be saving a lot of $$. 
Adding some better & more choices would be a-ok with my group.
Not every meal, but we’d use it for probably 1/2 the time. 
Eating with a room full of strangers just isn’t that fascinating,

but being waited on and served a few meals a day IS an important component when on a vacation. 

Dreaming of floating.... 

Edited by silvercrikhix