Should future cruisers trust Ponant to honor their contracts?

djasinsk

We all know that CoronaVirus has threatened the very ability of all the cruise lines to stay in business.  My point of this thread is not to rehash what Ponant did, but rather to inform potential Ponant customers of a real risk of giving Ponant a large deposit when they won't comply with the terms of their own contract.

Most cruise lines have dealt with CoronaVirus by trying to entice passengers to leave their deposits (or fully paid cruises) with the line in exchange for a very nice discount on a future cruise.  But most lines have also said if a passenger wants a refund, they will process one, but it might take a few months to actually refund the money (I am sure all the lines have huge cash issues).

This actually seems pretty fair to me.  Offer a customer something to get them to do what you want (take a future cruise credit), but still honor refunds for those who can't or won't take a future cruise credit.

Ponant is handling things differently.  Their contract for USA passengers was crystal clear, if they cancel cruises (which they did), the were obligated to refund.  Most USA people who book a cruise (even if departing from another country) booked with "Ponant USA".  USA law applies.  Even if France did change their law (skeptical that they did), it doesn't matter. They had a USA contract and booked under their USA subsidiary.

I even reached out to Navin Sawhney, Chief Executive Officer, Americas, who confirmed for me that Ponant USA will not respect their contract or USA law and offer a refund.

So my question to potential Ponant customers in the future is.  Why would you trust this cruise line with your money?  Ponant typically wants a 25% deposit for a cruise and many of their more exotic cruises book up 1-2 years in advance.  If they did not honor their contracts this time.  What makes you think they will honor their contracts in the future?

Its really a shame, because otherwise they have a somewhat unique and great product.  But,  I just don't think it is wise for anyone to give Ponant a large deposit for a cruise 1-2 years away.  They don't respect their own agreements, why would you expect them to in the future?  What if your cruise to the north pole is cancelled because ice is too thick.  Do you want to book with a line that will say "Sorry, you can have a future cruise credit"?

• Like 1

Would not trust Ponant period.

Their corporate behavior regarding PG voyages is disturbing and anti-consumer.

But then, most of the cruise lines have and continue to operate and sell future cruises where there is no meaningful chance of occurrence.

Consumer beware of all cruise lines.

• Like 1

We were planning on booking 10 cabins on the PG to celebrate our 20th anniversary with some close friends in 2024.

There is no way we will be sailing with them, their behavior during these times has been, well the ultimate turn off for us.

Yes all companies are suffering, however, as a premium provider they really should be going above and beyond.

As an example we were due to take a family trip to Europe this week, BA cancelled our flights, we got an email offering to either refund or rebook, we decided on the refund, 48 hours later the money was back on the card.

Guess who gets my business for the four flights I have to make to London this year.