Solo Cruising - how to get started?

olemissreb

2 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

Hang in there!  A college education is an investment in your son's future as you recognize, I am sure.  It's worth the cost!  Believe me!  And, believe this as well:  one day you will be on these boards asking about the b2b procedures!  It's good and mentally beneficial, particularly during times like these, to have goals towards which to work.  

I just had a job interview yesterday, so hopefully if I get the job that will help ease the burden and I can maybe put some money in a cruise fund.  I seem to always be planning another vacation.  I just love seeing and doing new things.  Cruising is just my favorite way to do it all.

• Like 1

There are some decent "solo sales" out there now, 10% for example.  25% in other cases.  IMHO, Pick the Size and Style of the cruise line you like first.  For example, Disney kinda caters to...kids.

After cruising as a single parent with my son for 10 years,  last year I started cruising solo.  My son turned 23 and I to got to stop paying for college.

1 - what do you recommend as a first time solo cruise?  Caribbean? Mexico?

I love the Mexican cruises out of California but I would recommend a NCL Trans-Atlantic cruise as your first solo cruise.  I like some of the other cruise lines better than NCL but I would recommend NCL as your first solo because they cater to the solo traveler and have a dedicated Solo Cruise Director.  I recommend the Trans-Atlantic because you have multiple sea days from the start before ports.  The sea days allows you to relax but also to meet other solo people if that is the type of thing you like.

2 - Big ship (Anthem, Oasis and the like)? or something smaller?

To start a larger ship then I switched to Celebrity Millennium class ship.  Not as many singles but lots of very friendly people.  I did a Trans-Pacific on Celebrity Millennium last September and loved it.

3 - Do you book as a single? Or do you book as a double to take advantage of any discounts for second passenger?  If the latter, I assume you would have to let them know that your "roommate" will be a no show when you check in?

I hear about lower if you book two people but have not found it.  Every time they have a special for the second person I have found the cruise line will give that to me as a single.  If it is not automatic you just have to ask.

4 - Best way to find the lowest single supplements?

CruisePlum website