Masks

Howasaur

I cancelled for the Aug 15 cruise. Took the hit and complained about the entire process. I explained to DVC that the CLIA just put something out about not cruising till into Sept. His answer was that it says “voluntary”. Which is the wording. After today I’d jump to 50% hit and I’m not willing to gamble more money. My real feel though is that the cruise for Aug 15 won’t be going. I’m also reading that Gov DeSantis still has enforced the quarantine for 2 weeks before boarding the ship if you come from NY. Who has 2 weeks time to sit in a hotel before boarding?  I get the safety part to not spread the virus but totally not prepared to do that.  Let’s not forget the virus is ramping up. Florida May be another epicenter. And again Disney is enforcing the cancelation fees!  

1 hour ago, Blindbat78 said:

Disney told me this afternoon it’s voluntary. Therefore Aug cruise still on!

Well DCL has canceled Fantasy cruises through Sep 15.  The problem you've got is the refunds/future cruise credit thing only applies to those people who've paid in full for their cruises.  Anyone cancelling a cruise, before being paid in full, fall under the cancellation policy they agreed to when booking the cruise.

1 hour ago, Shmoo here said:

Well DCL has canceled Fantasy cruises through Sep 15.  The problem you've got is the refunds/future cruise credit thing only applies to those people who've paid in full for their cruises.  Anyone cancelling a cruise, before being paid in full, fall under the cancellation policy they agreed to when booking the cruise.

Well, now we will have to see how Disney treats those of us who cancelled because of the Caronavirus before they did, with respect to our forfeited 20%.

Well I cancelled yesterday at 3:30 pm. For fear that the 50% would apply. I read off the CLIA announcement and quoted what was said and the agent said that would be voluntary on the part of cruiselines. 3 hrs later I get an email that the cruise is cancelled. That announcement from the CLIA came early in the day and Disney didn’t put the cancel order out till 7 pm. I feel like they intentionally waited so they could charge the 20%. I don’t believe that Disney people had no idea that something was coming to cancel that cruise. Yet they still took the 20% 

2 minutes ago, Blindbat78 said:

Well I cancelled yesterday at 3:30 pm. For fear that the 50% would apply. I read off the CLIA announcement and quoted what was said and the agent said that would be voluntary on the part of cruiselines. 3 hrs later I get an email that the cruise is cancelled. That announcement from the CLIA came early in the day and Disney didn’t put the cancel order out till 7 pm. I feel like they intentionally waited so they could charge the 20%. I don’t believe that Disney people had no idea that something was coming to cancel that cruise. Yet they still took the 20% 

Since you got the email I think there is a good chance you will get your 20% back.  I am hoping my travel agent can wield some clout with Disney to get our 20% back.

I hope so. I feel taken advantage of now. At 3:30 having extensive convo with supervisor. Totally discussing the CLIA news that came earlier in the day at great length.  Yet he said the cruise was still on. If someone puts doubt in your head, unless you are a gambler, you go with the sure thing. I couldn’t risk 50% fee. 

5 hours ago, Blindbat78 said:

I hope so. I feel taken advantage of now. At 3:30 having extensive convo with supervisor. Totally discussing the CLIA news that came earlier in the day at great length.  Yet he said the cruise was still on. If someone puts doubt in your head, unless you are a gambler, you go with the sure thing. I couldn’t risk 50% fee. 

Ugh sure do hate it for you, and hope that Disney pulls through. 🤔

It's not fair to expect anyone to wait when they are staring at a 50% penalty and DCL brings up "voluntary" to spin it like DCL might still wait - well, per CLIA's own PR statement they were speaking for their members who had already agreed to the suspension:

“This voluntary suspension applies to all CLIA members to which the No Sail Order applied (vessels with capacity to carry 250 persons or more). CLIA member cruise lines will continually evaluate the evolving situation and make a determination as to whether a further extension is necessary.”

https://cruising.org/news-and-research/press-room/2020/june/clia-announces-voluntary-suspension-of-cruise-operations-from-us-ports

They really need to revisit their policies.

Just keep trying! I looked back on the boards and found this posted back in March from a round of previous cancellations - I realize that the snip below is not the same situation as yours, but it shows they have done something nice for a cruiser in the past and maybe there is hope that they might go back and help you out. Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...

To the OP

The question of wearing masks on a February 2021 cruise may be moot as that cruise ( and others) may be cancelled.

Broadway shows have recently been cancelled into January 2021.

If producers and theater managers cannot devise a plan to keep theater goers safe from Covid-19 for approximately two hours watching a show,how are cruise lines going to keep passengers comfortable and safe from a Covid-19 contamination ?

On 6/20/2020 at 10:55 AM, Blindbat78 said:

GOOD NEWS!!!

Through our travel agent's efforts, today we received a refund from Disney Cruise Line of our 20% cancellation penalty.

I hope DCL does the right thing for you Blindbat78.

Congratulations!!  If you recall I had paid DVC points and cash. After waiting over a week I too just received a callback saying I would get credit for full amount plus 25%. I wasn’t offered a refund but with my DVC points I’m better off with the credit. I have 15 months to rebook. Gives me a little more time. The hope now is that the cruise industry becomes a safe, healthy way to travel. Luckily Disney decided to give the right consideration for their guests during this difficult time. 

We rebooked our Disney cancelled cruise Apr 2 2020 and rescheduled Feb. 2021 but with what's happening in Florida State with the Covid virus I have a feeling we won't be cruising in Feb. 2021

On 7/6/2020 at 4:33 PM, Howasaur said:

We rebooked our Disney cancelled cruise Apr 2 2020 and rescheduled Feb. 2021 but with what's happening in Florida State with the Covid virus I have a feeling we won't be cruising in Feb. 2021

Sadly you may be right 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/4/2020 at 6:42 AM, CPADWJ said:

Most other public events in our area have been cancelled for August.  I think Disney is pushing the envelope here, not so family friendly.

Disney Corp does not care about you.  Disney only cares about $$$

• Thanks 1

On 7/1/2020 at 5:51 AM, MJSailors said:

To the OP

The question of wearing masks on a February 2021 cruise may be moot as that cruise ( and others) may be cancelled.

Broadway shows have recently been cancelled into January 2021.

If producers and theater managers cannot devise a plan to keep theater goers safe from Covid-19 for approximately two hours watching a show,how are cruise lines going to keep passengers comfortable and safe from a Covid-19 contamination ?

They can't.  Period.  All the sanitizing and washy washy in the world cannot stop someone from sneezing in the elevator or showroom or dining room, etc. 

Edited by joeyancho
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...

We cancelled a cruise scheduled for November and got a 100% refund as we cancelled early. I saw the other day that the cruise has been cancelled now. We would love to plan and go on a cruise but until there seems to be better consensus about how to keep everyone safe, we will just wait it out. We might all need to get used to wearing masks and keeping our distance in the next few years.

• 4 weeks later...

Given that there seems to be considerable evidence that wearing masks reduces the risk for the wearer and others, we will wear masks on cruises. It was not long ago that we all saw on the news the conditions on a number of cruise ships caught in the early days of COVID. I am not a gambling type of person so will do what is practical and evidence based to reduce risk. I hope that others will do the same. It is disheartening to read that some people still dismiss the benefits of mask wearing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CalgaryMac said:

Given that there seems to be considerable evidence that wearing masks reduces the risk for the wearer and others, we will wear masks on cruises. It was not long ago that we all saw on the news the conditions on a number of cruise ships caught in the early days of COVID. I am not a gambling type of person so will do what is practical and evidence based to reduce risk. I hope that others will do the same. It is disheartening to read that some people still dismiss the benefits of mask wearing.

Remember the ones who did not do well in science?🤪

• Like 2

1 hour ago, CalgaryMac said:

It is disheartening to read that some people still dismiss the benefits of mask wearing.

I think most of that is the "me, me, me" attitude that's so prevalent.  With the general thought being that masks are not really for protecting the wearer, but protecting people the wearer comes in contact with, their reasoning is "if it's not protecting me, why wear it?"

• Like 1