Cruise Critic Community
PelicanBill

June Tropical Developments

Here we will discuss potential developments before they become named, continuing from the May thread.  

Over the weekend the Pacific development became Tropical Storm Amanda, and fizzled out just as fast.

But the remnant low is now threatening to be the third named Atlantic storm, moving into the Gulf. 80% chance to form a named storm.

Oh - and welcome to the official start of the 2020 Hurricane Season!

image.png.fb4fa07d7b97f4214f298a8794251a10.png

Upgraded to Depression 3, looks to get a name, stall a while then move into the center of the Gulf.  Let's hope it does not strengthen. Good chance it will be weakened or dissipate from land interaction, but slow strengthening is forecast for now.

image.png.04afb4b9eee509bccd200497e4b6ca72.png

The five-day outlook has an area to watch east of Bermuda - so far out to sea - with only a 10% chance to develop.

No change. Still a 10% chance disturbance east of Bermuda.  Nothing anywhere else.

Pelican Bill,

Every time I see your Pelican picture, it reminds me of a great restaurant on the lake called the Pelican's Nest.

I have had some great meals there.  And looking for more to come!

Do you know when the Cape Verde hurricane season starts?  I been looking for wave of storms coming off of the African Continent, But they are south of Cape Verde.. 

Cape Verde season: some say July, some say August.  Generally later into the summer.

We have a Pelican's nest on the mouth of the Genesee River here in Rochester, in sight of Lake Ontario. Wonderful place.  Where is yours?

The disturbance of the last few days is gone and we have a new one. 10%.

image.png.156e0bf95dcbbad08dbe9e3c3e7c94e7.png

Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Cape Verde season: some say July, some say August.  Generally later into the summer.

We have a Pelican's nest on the mouth of the Genesee River here in Rochester, in sight of Lake Ontario. Wonderful place.  Where is yours?

It is across Lake Ave from Mr. Dominic's.   By the mouth of the Genesee River.  About where the ferry to Canada was. (that didn't last)  down the street from the Charoltte Light house.

Edited by geocruiser

On 6/11/2020 at 11:30 PM, geocruiser said:

It is across Lake Ave from Mr. Dominic's.   By the mouth of the Genesee River.  About where the ferry to Canada was. (that didn't last)  down the street from the Charoltte Light house.

Oh well we are talking about the same place!  I love it.  Did not realize you are from or have been to Rochester enough to know it!

23 hours ago, PelicanBill said:

Oh well we are talking about the same place!  I love it.  Did not realize you are from or have been to Rochester enough to know it!

Yes, Same place.

We have a new disturbance being watched - right off the Carolinas.  But only 10% chance to develop is forecast.

image.png.41457dcaf46fbbef091da0242f39000e.png

1 hour ago, PelicanBill said:

We have a new disturbance being watched - right off the Carolinas.  But only 10% chance to develop is forecast.

image.png.41457dcaf46fbbef091da0242f39000e.png

We have showers here near Charlotte, NC for a week😞 I'm hoping for good weather at Myrtle Beach this Fourth of July.  Can you put in a good word, PelicanBill😎

That disturbance is now forecast with "0%" chance to develop and has been joined by another east of Venezuela which also has 0% chance to develop.  Just noise, but that lower disturbance is in an area not normally known for development.

image.png.878601d3856b23904611b680c6ab0fc6.png

It was quiet for a couple of days and now another low chance disturbance. 10%.

image.png.437180aeab24e7b2e1c973e6173582c6.png

Also in the Pacific well out to sea there is an area with 30% chance to develop but no threat to mainland or Hawaii.

Very interesting.  I never heard of this before.  I love to learn.

Thanks,

Maria

Well and so much for the dust preventing activity.  The disturbance in the Atlantic is increasing in likelihood and will send some high surf and rain to New England.

image.png.40ee1d746f8101240e62f5ce7ef2ea8f.png

And then look at the pacific... those are all 40-50% chance as well. Hawaii is well west of these and it's all quiet that far.

image.png.2c83004d5e52582c8e0469fb2a6bba1d.png

And both areas got calmer just like that. The Atlantic and one Pacific area downgraded, and one of the 3 areas of interest in the Pacific is gone!

Atlantic is still low chance to develop. But Pacific is waffling... back to 3 areas and all at 60% chance...

image.png.bdf0dcbfb6735e2e10591533830a3a23.png

The Atlantic disturbance has become "Dolly!"

No names in the Pacific yet... but oh so close... minimal threat to land. Heavy surf and rain along the Mexico Riviera.

image.png.e87d64c97f91e8aa111128960c6c9049.png

It's calm in the Atlantic, and calming down in the Pacific.  One of those disturbances got the name Boris but is degrading into a depression right away, so I won't start a name thread for it.

image.png.4643e25628fdf1ed00b37bf2d2ea061a.png

Will you be starting a July Tropical Developments thread soon?  Do you put a link in this thread so I can follow it?  You know I'm hoping for good news about Myrtle Beach weather starting July 3. TIA!