Viking air question

OnTheJourney

My experience with Viking Air was pretty easy a few years back. We booked a river cruise and the airfare offer was $250 for economy (ORD>AMS and BSL>MUC>ORD). As soon as I made our final payment, I was able to request early ticketing. Viking tried to dissuade me but, as mentioned already, you are otherwise left only with a 'reservation'. I planned on using miles to upgrade our seats to business and United wouldn't do anything until the flights were actually ticketed. Everything worked out nicely, mostly. When we got to Basel, the gate agent was unable to issue a boarding pass for MUC>ORD. Viking's representative stayed with us and helped translate so we knew what was happening. 

To your concerns, @OnTheJourney, if you want to upgrade your seats on your own (and outside of Viking), you'll need to request early ticketing. However, once the tickets are issued, and if things go pear-shaped, you may have to work directly with the airlines to handle refunds/cancelations/etc. 

3rd....we have already been offered free economy air, so my going through Viking is concerning upgrading. I'd just as soon not have to personally work with the airline, given the typical one-year timeframe in which to use a re-ticketed flight. By having the money as part of the 'risk free guarantee' that already covers my trip, I have more flexibility (not to mention time) to arrive at other options. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

I buy or get free a Viking air with their cruises. It makes travel easy. It also makes cancellations easy too.  Our recently canceled cruise was fully refunded by Viking including the air which we bought from Viking.  No problem contacting the airlines.  With all the air cancellations, booking your own air is too risky. Your cruise may sail, but your planes could get canceled. Not much air traffic now. Skies are empty.  We were supposed to fly from a London to Philadelphia this week. Just for fun, I looked at the planes we were supposed to take.  That plane and all direct planes were canceled.  Travel planning now is uncertain. Wait for more stable times.

On 6/2/2020 at 3:35 PM, duquephart said:

Yes, that's what I meant ---- the one that's the equivalent of domestic first class. Comfort+ is a sour joke. I believe premium select is the mid level that Viking offers.

Equipment changes often.  Keep checking.  Airlines mess up too. Last year, our plane was rescheduled many times including the equipment. When we boarded the plane, we looked for our seats in row 8.  No row 8. The equipment had changed. We stood there until agents rebooked us. That was a real snafu. Keep checking.

• Like 1

Redtravel - good point, probably especially applicable to such an unprecedented situation (read:  probably far worse than the sort of situation you describe!).  My plan is to upgrade the free economy we've been offered to business. The whole trip may very well not go anyway. As is constantly reported, it's a "fluid situation" at best. 

Edited by OnTheJourney