SN, SF, SD still get suite benefits on Jade?

mafig

Do these suite categories still get Butler/Concierge and breakfast and lunch in specialty restaurants on Jade?

I read "somewhere" that it was possible that these benefits would be going away.

Hope not.

Presently the only thing missing is Haven access - business as usual.

"BUT" !

There is the possibility that the perks benefits service maybe cheapened -

you know NCL's famous *"FEE"*-Style sailing program !

YES you do read "somewhere" about this demise of the benefits -

nothing yet official in print from NCL !

You will know about it when your invoice requires you to bring your own oars to propel the ship ! LOL ! 

There was something awhile back about these suites being re-categorized and maybe losing some of the suite perks such as butler service.  I would suggest looking at the description for each suite on the NCL website and check to see if it lists butler and concierge service.  As long as it does the suites should still get the same suite benefits as they currently do.  At least for now.  LOL!

3 hours ago, goldmom said:

There was something awhile back about these suites being re-categorized and maybe losing some of the suite perks such as butler service.  I would suggest looking at the description for each suite on the NCL website and check to see if it lists butler and concierge service. 

Yes, last year, when folks started to notice that the deck plans for cruises on the Jewel-class ships embarking in late 2020 were showing new categories of non-Haven suites, I looked into this and started a comprehensive thread to pull together what could be learned from the deck plans and mock bookings, since NCL had made no formal announcement of changes (and I don't think it has yet). That thread is at the link below, and should give anyone interested a good grounding in the changes NCL has planned, and also warnings about how vague NCL has been about the changes.

The changeover for the Jade was scheduled for cruises departing after November 20, 2020.  Looking now at some mock bookings, the info is still as confusing as it was back in 2019 when I posted this thread.  For example, looking right now at the Jade cruise embarking on Nov. 29, 2020, the NCL site says the following for the SN aft-facing penthouse suites: "Most include Butler and concierge service."   Most??  You'd certainly want to know what services YOUR specific SN was getting before you booked it!

So, a word of caution: anyone booking any of the suites the OP has mentioned should get clarification from NCL as to the specific suite perks being provided unless the web site is clear.   

Also, I have no idea what impact, if any, the COVID-19 pandemic and NCL's suspension of services will have on any of these planned changes.   (If I had to guess, NCL will be doing all it can to cut back on services and to save money.) 

Edited by Turtles06

im not a snob, but have been spoiled booking either a regular suite or a haven suite. the 24 hour on call butler is one of the primary reasons i book suites. without the butler, the difference in price between a suite and a mini suite, or what is now called a club suite is certainly not justified.  i have a wonderful cruise consultant named lynn. if you have any questions or concerns about the cabin status, please feel free to send me an email @sampraw@aol.com and i qouldbemore than happy to give you her information. by the way, the concierge is nice, but since he's not getting me tickets to a broadway show, i dont really utilize his services. only to get me off the ship in a hurry when its time to finally disembark. (that alone is worth the price of admission) we're off and at our luggage within15 minutes.

The changeover for the Jade was scheduled for cruises departing after November 20, 2020.  Looking now at some mock bookings, the info is still as confusing as it was back in 2019 when I posted this thread.  For example, looking right now at the Jade cruise embarking on Nov. 29, 2020, the NCL site says the following for the SN aft-facing penthouse suites: "Most include Butler and concierge service."   Most??  You'd certainly want to know what services YOUR specific SN was getting before you booked it!

So, a word of caution: anyone booking any of the suites the OP has mentioned should get clarification from NCL as to the specific suite perks being provided unless the web site is clear.   

Interesting...I just booked an SM category suite (Aft-Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony/Deck 10) on the Jade for October 2021. The description clearly states the perks include Butler and Concierge service.

The SN category is identical to SM, but with a smaller balcony. Those cabins are on Decks 8 & 9, and the description has the statement, “Most include Butler and Concierge Service.”

I’ll definitely keep an eye on it. I took screen shots of the cabin information just in case there’s a discrepancy.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

45 minutes ago, Cindy said:

Interesting...I just booked an SM category suite (Aft-Facing Penthouse with Large Balcony/Deck 10) on the Jade for October 2021. The description clearly states the perks include Butler and Concierge service.

The SN category is identical to SM, but with a smaller balcony. Those cabins are on Decks 8 & 9, and the description has the statement, “Most include Butler and Concierge Service.”

I’ll definitely keep an eye on it. I took screen shots of the cabin information just in case there’s a discrepancy.

Yes, the SN and SM suites all used to be the SFs, the only difference being that the ones on Deck 10 (now the SMs) have larger (deeper) balconies.  They've routinely been viewed here on CC as more desirable for that reason, and NCL is giving them their own category.   The analysis that I did in my earlier thread (linked in post 6 above) based on a number of mock bookings showed that NCL is charging higher prices for the SMs than the SNs.  Big surprise!

Taking a screen shot of the cabin info is always a good idea!  

We've sailed in those Deck 10 aft-facing suites, and have enjoyed them.  We had one booked for the Jade's TA in October out of Civitavecchia, but have canceled that cruise for obvious reasons.   ☹️

Edited by Turtles06

Lots of category adds.  Jewel and Dawn class now split deck 9 and 10 OS.

Two bedroom on newer ships difference for deck 18 VS 17.  And not just a few dollars, like $400 more for first two each.

For your convenience, of course.

Edited by dexddd

Yes, the SN and SM suites all used to be the SFs, the only difference being that the ones on Deck 10 (now the SMs) have larger (deeper) balconies.  They've routinely been viewed here on CC as more desirable for that reason, and NCL is giving them their own category.   The analysis that I did in my earlier thread (linked in post 6 above) based on a number of mock bookings showed that NCL is charging higher prices for the SMs than the SNs.  Big surprise!

Taking a screen shot of the cabin info is always a good idea!  

We've sailed in those Deck 10 aft-facing suites, and have enjoyed them.  We had one booked for the Jade's TA in October out of Civitavecchia, but have canceled that cruise for obvious reasons.   ☹️

Thanks! I read your linked thread and that was exactly what I found when I made my reservation.

The price difference between the SM and SN cabins was only $100/person for the 12-night cruise, or about $8.50/person/day. I assumed that was just for the bigger balcony, but now thanks to Cruise Critic I’m finding out otherwise!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• Like 1

4 hours ago, mafig said:

Actually I'm surprised that Norwegian is, in a sense, downgrading their suite experience when other lines are upgrading their's.  

Maybe this is where the twain shall meet -

Norwegian downgrading theirs to match the competition -

AND

The competition upgrading theirs to match NCL -

Insides Ocean View and Balcony not much difference overall in the industry -

BUT

Get into the Suites and high roller accommodations and there is a difference -

Mostly in the Butler department -

A Concierge is pretty much a given with all cruise lines - some better than others !

Pay more get more services perks bonuses priorities !

Like that recent TV insurance commercial - "Only Pay for What You Need***"  *** change to WANT !

With the curtailment of cruising at present - there should be intense competition in the booking of

future cruises with the money being saved at this time - although the fares may (will) go up when

cruising resumes.

• 2 months later...

We are booked on the Jade for the TA in April 2021 (HOPEFULLY it will sail !) in a Category SN - Aft Penthouse with Large Balcony 

As long as we still get to eat breakfast in one of the speciality restaurants, we will be happy ! (our favorite suite perk !) 

We rarely use the Butler - sometimes the concierge to help make reservations

• Like 1

as long as you're in a suite category, you can eat both breakfast and lunch in whichever specialty restaurant is on the ship. if you're on the jade, i think its moderno.

that being said, you're missing one of the major perks of the suite, i.e. the butler.  i'll repeat one of my prior threads.

the butler will usually introduce himself at the beginning of your cruise. at that time i give him a general idea of what we'll want during the cruise. i dont have an overwhelming sense of entitlement, so i think our requests are most reasonable.

i ask him every morning about 7 to bring a carafe of coffee, cream, sugar etc as well as a carafe of hot water, lemon and tea bags.  also sweet rolls, croissants and assorted pastries. while we're out he usually brings a bowl of fruit and cookies. as an afternoon snack, i ask him to bring some assorted meats. cheese, crackers and mini sandwiches.

if we're on a shore excursion and come back hot, tired and thrashed, i always ask for an ice cold heineken. good way to relax and unwind. whenever our grandson has traveled with us, (and its usually been for the last 10 years and he's now turning 21) after hanging out with others his own age, he pops in and orders a pizza. having the butler is great,  a few years back, we had the aft suite on the epic and the butler was amazing, due to health reasons, i had to drink ginger ale, she made sure i always had a 6 pack in the fridge and never once charged. i also slip the butler a hundred at the end of the cruise.

on the other hand, i find that i dont utilize the concierge as much, unless i have a problem getting a reservation. except for the teppanyaki room, this has never been a problem in the 10 years i have been cruising with ncl.

sorry for the length, hope this helps, and sincerely  hope your cruise sails on time.. bon voyage

It is interesting to read about butlers.   We have only travelled in a suite once, off again to experience one on the Jade in late 2022, and I hope we don't get the same butler as we had then.

He was nothing out of the ordinary, in fact we found the room steward far more pleasant, and were not impressed with his attitude.   He seemed to do his job with bad grace.

On the penultimate day he visited three times with "I hope that the service I have provided have been to your satisfaction"!!!!!!!

We were in an SF suite on the GEM for our Panama Canal cruise and got to know our butler quite well. He serviced all of the suites on deck 10 - that included the 4 SF suites aft and the 2 Owners Suites and 4SE Penthouse suites forward. He indicated that the deck 8 aft suites would be losing butler service this fall. BTW the extra catagory for the Deck 10 AFT and the two inner FWD suites are because they are larger than the others - for the AFT suites it is the balcony - for the FWD suites they have more interior due to the bridge bump out.

10 hours ago, casofilia said:

It is interesting to read about butlers.   We have only travelled in a suite once, off again to experience one on the Jade in late 2022, and I hope we don't get the same butler as we had then.

He was nothing out of the ordinary, in fact we found the room steward far more pleasant, and were not impressed with his attitude.   He seemed to do his job with bad grace.

On the penultimate day he visited three times with "I hope that the service I have provided have been to your satisfaction"!!!!!!!

That is not uncommon on NCL, butlers are hit or miss.

i must have gotten really lucky.ive had butlers on 6 different ncl ships, and by and large they were all remarkable.

all were extremely attentive to our needs, always available, bright, cheerful, and never once did any of them display an attitude problem.

maybe your expectations were a little bit to high, or you had an exaggerated sense of entitlement perhaps?  just saying