Refund of credit card positive balances

coljack

I remember seeing a thread of problems getting Amex to transfer your refund money to you.  I received a $18,000 refund from Nat Geog for a tour that was to follow my Regent cruise.  My credit card is a Chase (Costco) Visa.  I called them and they quickly agreed to transfer the credit balance to the checking account that I had on file with them for paying bills.  No charge.  No sweat.  It did take two weeks, but in today's world...  Still waiting on the Regent refund and judging from available info, I'm thinking about two months from sail date.

1 hour ago, coljack said:

My credit card is a Chase (Costco) Visa.

Interesting.  My Costco Visa is through Citi.  I thought they were all with the same bank.

Either way, I think the key is to have your bank already signed up to pay bills with whatever card you have.  That has worked for me also, on a different Citi card.

Edited by SusieQft

Just got my refund check from Chase today.  Like ronrick Chase talked about an email to electronically transfer the money to my bank account but, they never sent the email so I phoned and asked them and they said the electronic transfer is new and not always successful.  Anyway, got the check in 6 business days.

33 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Just got my refund check from Chase today.  Like ronrick Chase talked about an email to electronically transfer the money to my bank account but, they never sent the email so I phoned and asked them and they said the electronic transfer is new and not always successful.  Anyway, got the check in 6 business days.

Was this from Regent?

We got the e-mail from Chase today, it was an easy fill out--Chase said should get the transfer of funds tomorrow or the next day.   

The e-mail was to confirm that we wanted the money and we wanted it exec-transfer.

On 6/4/2020 at 12:50 AM, ronrick1943 said:

We got the e-mail from Chase today, it was an easy fill out--Chase said should get the transfer of funds tomorrow or the next day.   

Same here. We got the credit on 5/28. After some poling around on the actual process, I requested the refund on 6/2 on their secure message center, got the email and confirmed the bank account on 6/4 and got the money in my account today, 6/5. One week plus one day from crediting to cash in bank and 3 days from cash request to cash in bank. Nice job, Chase! That’s how it should work!

Chase VISA (United) refused to do an e-transfer and it took 2 calls and two weeks to get a 35K check from them.

Hate taking with foreign based CS reps, that they use.  Language is an issue and they just read from a script.

Amex Canada says cheque only, they claimed that transfers directly into my bank would be a security risk.  I'm down with that, as long as I get the funds pronto once they're there.  Of course, they have to re-calculate my Membership Rewards first.

Leaving the balance is not an option, since I hardly ever use this card except for travel.

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Amex Canada says cheque only, they claimed that transfers directly into my bank would be a security risk.

That’s an odd statement for a credit card company to make, where almost every charge you make is processed over an internet connection. Don’t they accept automatic payments from a bank account?

Just curious. Assuming you get your money, I guess a few extra days doesn’t matter a lot.  

1 hour ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Of course, they have to re-calculate my Membership Rewards first.

Yes, I lost my Chase points too.  

15 minutes ago, CruiserFromMaine said:

That’s an odd statement for a credit card company to make, where almost every charge you make is processed over an internet connection. Don’t they accept automatic payments from a bank account?

Just curious. Assuming you get your money, I guess a few extra days doesn’t matter a lot.  

Yes, I lost my Chase points too.  

Of course they do, it's how I pay all my bills.  I'm content, as long as I get it back asap after they have it.  I agree it's a bit odd.  Waiting to see what points I have left after all of this.  I think it will be enough to keep the card for another year, before I can move them off for air travel.  Then I will probably cancel since I doubt we'll be doing many big trips in the future, sigh.

History with Chase Card Services through which I have a United Explorer Mileage Plus VISA Card.  That Card was utilized to pay for our March 14th Splendor San Diego-Miami cruise canceled by Regent on March 13th. 

March 17th:  Requested full refund via my TA.

May 22nd:  Review of VISA Account via phone inquiry showed credit for all cruise charges.

May 27th:  Telephoned Chase (short wait).  Then pleasant conversation with an efficient Representative who advised:  Refund options: All funds shown as a credit  in my account would be forwarded either by direct deposit wire transfer ("Auto Accept") to my commercial bank account (through which I have paid my monthly CC charges for several years); or, after seven business days, a check would automatically mailed to my address of record.  Opted for a wire transfer.  Was advised I would be receiving an email with instructions in a few days. 

June 2nd:  Received Chase's email with instructions for setting up the direct deposit.  Completed that online process the same day. 

June 4th:  Confirmed funds were in my checking account.  

Relatively straight forward. 

GOARMY!

Curious about how Chase will handle a refund transfer to us since we'll go negative on Chase Rewards.  Since we use a Sapphire Reserve card (3 points/travel $), our cruise refund will cause us to go negative by about 80k points since we have a low balance of points at the moment.  I hope that they'll just let it go negative and assume we'll make it good over the next few months.

Anybody have this experience with them?

Edited by Portolan

11 minutes ago, Portolan said:

Curious about how Chase will handle a refund transfer to us since we'll go negative on Chase Rewards.  Since we use a Sapphire Reserve card (3 points/travel $), our cruise refund will cause us to go negative by about 80k points since we have a low balance of points at the moment.  I hope that they'll just let it go negative and assume we'll make it good over the next few months.

Anybody have this experience with them?

Well not sure about a few months but yes that is how it works. You keep earning points which will reduce your negative balance until it hits zero and then starts back positive.   Not sure what would happen if you cancelled the card with negative points then applied for a new card?

13 minutes ago, rallydave said:

Well not sure about a few months but yes that is how it works. You keep earning points which will reduce your negative balance until it hits zero and then starts back positive.   Not sure what would happen if you cancelled the card with negative points then applied for a new card?

Well, if we see a return of travel to something tolerable, it could be just 6 months or so...but probably longer...

For AA tickets:  I requested a refund after our flights were cancelled and it showed up in my Barclays credit card in about 3 weeks.  I could not get a transfer to our bank account.  When I contacted Barclays they said I could get a check immediately or after 4 months of a credit balance,  the credit balance would be automatically refunded with a check.  The check showed up within a week.  So far the miles for the tickets are still in my account.

Our refund went from Regent to our VISA Chase Sapphire account.  Once received, we filled out a simple online form which authorized Chase to electronically transfer the money to our bank account. 

No holds for months (!), no insistence to mail a check, no baloney about ETF security. 

The funds were available in our bank account the very next day.  An electronic transfer of a large overage in your credit card account should not present any difficulty for any bank to do.

• Like 1

On May 30th, I received our 100% refund for April 3rd Regent Explorer cancelled cruise back on our AMEX platinum card. I called AMEX the same day to request A check for the credit balance be sent to me. As of yesterday (June 8th) the account still showed the credit balance, so I called again. The rep noted that it was “in review” due to the amount but that she would try to shake it loose. Checking again today, the credit balance has been deducted, so hopefully I will get the check within the 7 days the rep promised. Now just waiting on Crystal refund, and then will tackle the trip insurance. 

in the big scheme of things, I’m very grateful that my family and I are in good health, and that our grown children have all kept their jobs but boy has this long drawn out process put me off cruising. I used to spend a lot of enjoyable hours looking at the cruise line websites dreaming and planning. Not doing that at all now.  

On 6/8/2020 at 2:08 PM, wristband said:

Our refund went from Regent to our VISA Chase Sapphire account.  Once received, we filled out a simple online form which authorized Chase to electronically transfer the money to our bank account. 

No holds for months (!), no insistence to mail a check, no baloney about ETF security. 

The funds were available in our bank account the very next day.  An electronic transfer of a large overage in your credit card account should not present any difficulty for any bank to do.

Just for added clarity...

We called Chase Sapphire (which always has excellent customer service in our experience) and they sent us an email about 36 hours later. The email contained the form to have the funds electronically tranfered to our bank. Very simple to complete. Our funds are now somewhere in the ethersphere and hopefully they will land soon in our bank account. Very pleased with the process.