A few Tahiti questions

jumelle

We have booked a air and hotel package to Tahiti for July 2021(so long to wait😩). First of all, the airfare if you book yourself is $400 per person less and the room at the Intercontinental is half the price they charge, it does include a day room on the departure day. My husband likes the security of the package. I don’t like paying more than I need to. We have sailed with Windstar but have always made our own arrangements.

Has anyone done the package and think it is worth it?
Has anyone been able to get a day room at the Intercontinental on their own? And is the room available at 8 am when you would arrive?

It does include all transfers as well.

I appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks.

We did the package and thought the no-hassle, seamlessness was worth it. I'm surprised that the airfare is more than if you booked it yourself. It's usually less. A sign of the times, no doubt.

On 6/1/2020 at 1:36 PM, jumelle said:

We have booked a air and hotel package to Tahiti for July 2021(so long to wait😩). First of all, the airfare if you book yourself is $400 per person less and the room at the Intercontinental is half the price they charge, it does include a day room on the departure day. My husband likes the security of the package. I don’t like paying more than I need to. We have sailed with Windstar but have always made our own arrangements.

Has anyone done the package and think it is worth it?
Has anyone been able to get a day room at the Intercontinental on their own? And is the room available at 8 am when you would arrive?

It does include all transfers as well.

I appreciate any suggestions.
Thanks.

The last two times I visited Tahiti in last three years the Intercontinental was very difficult to get  a day stay. They said a reservation was only possible two weeks before your stay based on availability. So we went a different route and stayed at an Airbnb after our cruise and before our flight. $55-75/night! It was a modest suburban home in the hills about 10 min from the airport.  The bungalow had access to a lovely pool, gorgeous view of Moorea and very nice proprietors. Best of all they picked us up at the pier on disembarkation complimentary and took us to the airport($10) before our flight. They let us sit and relax by the pool in the morning and by 1pm or room was ready. Took us to a market to get some easy food for dinner.

Looks like they now offer a studio in Papeete and don't know about what they offer with that. Price can't be beat though.

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/21355854?source_impression_id=p3_1591194775_qPjaQADkbh%2BZN6v6&guests=1&adults=1

https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/41911111?source_impression_id=p3_1591194865_XIngtWYmwY3uFqfl&guests=1&adults=1

Edited by Petoonya

Yep, we noticed it too. Unusual for a cruise line. The price difference forced us to research booking ourselves and finding good deals. I'm sure a lot of passengers don't care, so that's good for Windstar.

I can see some security in paying extra for travelers who don't like to research airlines and hotels. 

B

• 3 weeks later...

Yes. We changed our reservation without the package. It just doesn’t make sense.

Now they are offering $400 onboard credit. I have to call again and request that now. It really annoys me how every week they come out with a different offer. Our cruise is for July 2021. I am going to have to check the prices and offers constantly.

A suggestion

First of all I typically always book my airfare myself. However, I usually never book to arrive in Papeete the same day the cruise leaves unless I'm sure there are other passengers on the same cruise ... on the same flight and they booked through the cruise line. This is a play it safe way to book your own airfare.  I was able to snag $539 R/T on United from SFO - PPT 🙂

Many times it is cheaper to book the IC Tahiti on a 3rd party site as a one night price. I've been able to get for $260 which includes breakfast for 2. Typically the room is ready early, maybe not 9:00 but early. I just leave the bags with the hop and enjoy the pools  ... then grab the room key. 

• 2 weeks later...

More Tahiti questions. We are on the 7 day, departing March 25, 2021. I’ve been doing some research on these boards (unsuccessfully) to try and figure out the following:

What day/island location is the Beach BBQ, What day/island is the onshore dinner show and is there still a deck BBQ with line dancing? I’m asking about what has historically been done on the Spirit as we don’t yet know how these activities will be modified due to the pandemic.

Is anyone else going to Tahiti in 2021 waiting to book excursions or activities? I am, I want to see what happens in July with the reopening of FP and then what happens when Windstar resumes sailing in September. I don't want to spend a lot of time emailing and setting up private excursions with the local vendors if it turns out the cruise is canceled and the country shuts down again.

I think I will wait to spend a lot of time and get some feedback from the earliest wave of visitors.

On 7/2/2020 at 7:29 PM, TakingFlight said:

More Tahiti questions. We are on the 7 day, departing March 25, 2021. I’ve been doing some research on these boards (unsuccessfully) to try and figure out the following:

What day/island location is the Beach BBQ, What day/island is the onshore dinner show and is there still a deck BBQ with line dancing? I’m asking about what has historically been done on the Spirit as we don’t yet know how these activities will be modified due to the pandemic.

Motu picnic is at Motu Mahaea/Tahaa.

Motu dinner is last evening in Bora Bora.

There's still a big on deck (pending weather) dinner but can be any night at least that's what it was last year. (I don't recall line dancing???)

I’ve done 40 Windstar cruises. All the ships - including the Spirit - have lins dancing after the Barbecue. You just have to stay up for it - after they clear the tables and food and make room for the dancing!

13 hours ago, r&rd said:

I’ve done 40 Windstar cruises. All the ships - including the Spirit - have lins dancing after the Barbecue. You just have to stay up for it - after they clear the tables and food and make room for the dancing!

We usually eat so much at the deck dinner (darn it's amazing) that line dancing would be impossible. We go up to the bow and watch the stars if they're out. There's usually an officer pointing out various constellations like the Southern Cross.

20 hours ago, susiesan said:

Is anyone else going to Tahiti in 2021 waiting to book excursions or activities? I am, I want to see what happens in July with the reopening of FP and then what happens when Windstar resumes sailing in September. I don't want to spend a lot of time emailing and setting up private excursions with the local vendors if it turns out the cruise is canceled and the country shuts down again.

I think I will wait to spend a lot of time and get some feedback from the earliest wave of visitors.

We're on the Aug 1, 2021 Twice the Tahiti and taking somewhat the same approach. We contacted Mermaid Private Boat Tours (Moorea) and they were glad to pencil us in for a full day private tour.  Plan is to book WS tours first since cancellations will be easy and then wait until later for private excursions. This is our first Tahiti trip and the CC forums have been very helpful. 

1 hour ago, Comex said:

We're on the Aug 1, 2021 Twice the Tahiti and taking somewhat the same approach. We contacted Mermaid Private Boat Tours (Moorea) and they were glad to pencil us in for a full day private tour.  Plan is to book WS tours first since cancellations will be easy and then wait until later for private excursions. This is our first Tahiti trip and the CC forums have been very helpful. 

We have Mermaid booked for the 4/29 also with another couple. A suggestion. Your cruise is a long way off but it's high season and the best independent excursions will go quickly. Our cruise is also Twice the Tahiti and of the four days in Bora Bora a few for H2O Bora Bora are already sold out. They are number one in BB on Tripadvisor if your plan includes snorkeling. I booked them for both a full and half day 😃 They don't require any payment till 4-6 months out so no loss if you change your mind. Mrs H2O BB just had a baby so they might not respond as fast as usual. But usually it is the same day. Their half day snorkel is $100 vs the 3hr tour on WS at $119. And full day H2O BB is $200.

Hey Comex, We’re also on 8/1/21 for the 11-night and then debarking in Moorea. I’ll start a roll call and maybe we can compare notes to buddy up on trip minimums? We haven’t yet booked anything but have some ideas from all of the great info posted on the boards here!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hello Minidonuts85,

That sounds like a plan.  I've jotted down some ideas as well and would like to compare notes. Were you by any chance on the Star Legend, San Diego to Costa Rica cruise last October? 

• Like 1

We are on the July 2021 10 day. I have done research on the private tour operators and some do have a minimum. I will be starting a roll call as well. However, I have found that only a very few people who cruise with Windstar actually use cruise critic. It makes it very challenging to organize private excursions.

Comex/minidonuts85:  We're booked on the August 1, 2021 "Twice the Tahiti" sailing as well.  We were scheduled for the same itinerary departing September 10, 2020, but conditions made that plan impossible, so we pushed out a year.  This will be our first time on the Wind Spirit and first time in French Polynesia.  We've cruised twice on Star Legend, and this feels like the perfect way to enjoy Tahiti!  We like small ships, especially SeaDream and Star Clippers, along with Windstar.

We're definitely interested in private excursions--we love the time this itinerary provides to experience all the islands.

Steve

• Like 1

Hello Minidonuts85,
That sounds like a plan.  I've jotted down some ideas as well and would like to compare notes. Were you by any chance on the Star Legend, San Diego to Costa Rica cruise last October? 

Hi, We we’re on the San Diego to PV leg of that trip! Were you there too?

Got the roll call started!

Comex/minidonuts85:  We're booked on the August 1, 2021 "Twice the Tahiti" sailing as well.  We were scheduled for the same itinerary departing September 10, 2020, but conditions made that plan impossible, so we pushed out a year.  This will be our first time on the Wind Spirit and first time in French Polynesia.  We've cruised twice on Star Legend, and this feels like the perfect way to enjoy Tahiti!  We like small ships, especially SeaDream and Star Clippers, along with Windstar.
We're definitely interested in private excursions--we love the time this itinerary provides to experience all the islands.
Steve

Hey Steve, Great! Got the roll call started!

5 hours ago, minidonuts85 said:

Hi, We we’re on the San Diego to PV leg of that trip! Were you there too?

Got the roll call started!

10-4. That was a great itinerary. I remember your name from the earlier roll calls.  We went all the way to Costa Rica. 

• Like 1

10-4. That was a great itinerary. I remember your name from the earlier roll calls.  We went all the way to Costa Rica. 

Yes it was! The Sea of Cortez in particular was so peaceful.

The Star Breeze is making it way up doing that itinerary northbound in May 2021 and then again southbound in Oct 2021. Hoping to catch it one way or the other.