6 Month Passport Question

Our passports expire April 2021. We have a cruise scheduled for July 2021 so I figured I would wait until they open up the processing centers and renew them. I'm thinking of planning a cruise for December 28, 2020 (ports will be Mexico and Belize). My question is will my passport be good for the December cruise even if it expires within 6 months? If it's still good I'll wait til we get back and send it off in January. 

3 minutes ago, JoJo1008 said:

Our passports expire April 2021. We have a cruise scheduled for July 2021 so I figured I would wait until they open up the processing centers and renew them. I'm thinking of planning a cruise for December 28, 2020 (ports will be Mexico and Belize). My question is will my passport be good for the December cruise even if it expires within 6 months? If it's still good I'll wait til we get back and send it off in January. 

It doesn't matter as you can do a closed loop cruise without a passport

Yes...for your Dec 2020 cruise your passport will be fine. It's only for certain International countries that the passport needs to still be valid for 6 months post travel.

The six month "suggestion" is because you need a passport to "enter" a country.  First, let me say that a closed loop cruise from the USA in almost 100% of the cases, you don't need a passport.  Each country has laws for entering a country.  An example, is that you can stay up to 6 months in the USA before you must leave if you are in one of the Visa free countries.  Some other countries have 3 month rules, and some might be 30 days.  Your passport in those countries can not expire before the date, you must leave  by.  So the expiration date is based on the date of return, and must be valid up to the very last day that you are expected to exit the country.  However, on a closed loop cruise, the countries you are entering want your money and do not require you to present yourself at an entry point.  Entering back to the USA and if you are a citizen, you don't need a passport to enter, but it is used as ID to prove you are a citizen.  There are other ways to prove it also, but a passport is the easiest.

Any travel agent, or vacation entity will always tell you 6 months, because that is the max and they want to be safe.  At any time, a law can be changed in a country.....from time of booking to travel date. 

Thank you all so much for the info. Now I can stop worrying about my passport and worry if the ship will actually cruise in December. I hope by then everything is opened up, I need a vacation.