Vista Suites, opinions/experiance

Hammer61

We are looking at booking our first Silversea cruise next year, just wondering what the Vista Suites are like on the Muse or Whisper, which are the itinerarys we are looking at doing

Can see there is no balcony, which is fine with us, and they are a bit smaller in size but has anyone got any experience, good or bad.

Reviews on the internet are hard to find, plenty on Veranda suits but very little on the Vistas.

We booked a Vista for our upcoming cruise ...... and saved a fortune [emoji3]
Then we saw the recent stories of being confined to a cabin.
I know that scenario should be unlikely but we weren’t prepared to risk it so we changed to the classic verandah.

Same size suite but has a balcony attached, and even if you cannot use the balcony at least you have wall to wall window.

The floor area of a Vista is the same as a veranda suite. The dimensions for the verand include the balcony. 

On a dozen SS cruises we have had a veranda twice, a Vista all other times. It's a highly personal thing but we really think £50 or more a day is simply not worth it. 

Like you, we have never sailed Silversea before but in April we booked out first cruise with them, a November sailing on the Whisper.  I did a good bit of research and found that, to my knowledge, the only differences between the Vista Suite and Veranda suite on the Whisper is that the Veranda has floor to ceiling windows with a sliding door out to a sixty square foot balcony.  The Vista suite has a large picture window that appears to be about five feet wide by four feet in height.  Everything else is the same, including the floor plan and size of the suite itself (excluding balcony).  The Vista suites are all located forward on Deck 4.  The first category of Veranda are located forward on Deck 5, the other Veranda suite categories are priced according to location.

For our upcoming Whisper sailing in the Caribbean, we went with a Veranda suite.  We are looking at booking another Silversea cruise for Fall 2021, that one sails from Alaska across the Bering Sea to Russia and Japan.  We may go with a Vista suite on that sailing since the weather will be much, much cooler and perhaps not as conducive to lounging on a balcony.

A point to consider if you like sitting in the sunshine is that a veranda will only get the sun when it is on that side of the ship and then only in the early morning or late afternoon - at other times the veranda is in the shade. 

We always get a Vista suite, except for this past year's WC.  We did a Veranda because of Antarctica.  It was a nice change, but the price differential was pretty steep and we found that we did not use it very much.  Deck 4 is nice and quiet and there is a self service laundry room that most folks do not know about, so it is not used much.  Also, we eat lunch in the MDR, so we always go in the back door at noon and go right to our normal table in the rear area.  The other plus side is that Deck 4 has less motion than the higher up decks.  On the WC, we were on deck 6 and noticed more motion than we usually experience on deck 4.

• Like 1

I hate dirty windows.  This can be a problem in Vista suites.  Yes, there is a nicely sized window.  But it may go many days before that side of the ship is beside the pier and the window is washed by the deck crew.  In that case, the window can become nearly opaque with sea salt spray.  With the verandah suites, the suite attendant can step onto the verandah and clean the window daily.

Otherwise, Vista guests have an identical experience to those in higher priced suites.

We travelled central vista by recommendation on our first cruise on Silversea  and every year since 1998.The only exceptions being Midship veranda on our four free milestone cruises.Much prefer the more spacious suite area in Vista as we encountered the problem highlighted by TTS of very little sun time on the verandah.The other plus is of course a few thousand pounds extra in the bank rather than in Silversea account.

19 hours ago, alexandria said:

"...We are looking at booking another Silversea cruise for Fall 2021, that one sails from Alaska across the Bering Sea to Russia and Japan.  We may go with a Vista suite on that sailing since the weather will be much, much cooler and perhaps not as conducive to lounging on a balcony."

Alexandria - we did that cruise this past Sept on the Muse. Originally booked a Vista suite and ended up getting bumped to a premium veranda. It was a great cruise with smooth seas and decent weather for the crossing. Despite this, we seldom even opened our balcony door other than to get the weather or our surroundings when in port. I totally agree that booking a veranda for this itinerary would be a waste of $$$.

2 hours ago, zigtraveller said:

All of the Vista suites on the Muse have interconnecting doors, this makes me cautious as I don’t like to hear neighbours.  Can anyone who has cruised in one comment on this?

I know some people have reported issues, but on our two Muse voyages with connecting suites, we never heard a peep.

• Thanks 1

On 6/2/2020 at 9:25 AM, Tothesunset said:

The floor area of a Vista is the same as a veranda suite.

Unless you book that special one! 😉

Alas.... No longer available.... ever.

Agree with your thoughts..... The extra cost isn't worth it IMHO. I remember seeing one of those upgrade deals on the Wind once which I blagged and ended paying £200 more on a 12 day Caribbean cruise which was worth it.

Have you looked at your Moon sailing recently? We are now in 505 Happy(ish) days. I did also negotiate 75% of this fully paid fare back (repayable 120 days prior) and keeping my fare paid. Lessens the perceived risk.

We have been on 3 Silversea cruises, all expedition ones. On the first one the weather was hot and we chose a Veranda cabin for that reason. We did spend time on the balcony every day and enjoyed having it. The other 2 cruises (Arctic and Antarctic) were cold weather cruises and MUCH more expensive so we went for the cheapest option. We were very happy on Deck 4 close to the laundry which was a bonus. I spent a lot of time in the Observation lounge and was chatting there with a guy who had a very expensive suite with a wraparound balcony. He told me it was the biggest waste of money ever as they had all been very sick being that much higher up in rough seas. AND they couldn't use the balcony because of the deep snow on it (Antarctic). So I'd be choosing my cabin with the itinerary in mind as well as the cost.

22 minutes ago, les37b said:

Unless you book that special one! 😉

Have you looked at your Moon sailing recently? We are now in 505 

Splendid. Worth doing the GTY. 

We are still in 417 - assuming the cruise goes at all! 

But back from a slight tangent - another point to remember is that the level of service throughout the ship is not affected by your cabin rating. 

The newer ships have a smaller proportion of Vista suites so it might be worth locking in early if you don't want to be paying for a veranda. 

We are looking at an itinerary of 14 days in 2022 where a veranda is £900 each more than the vista. That means an extra £1800 on the bill. I just can't justify that but then I'm an extremely tight skinflint! 

To MBP's point posted above:  If, during our confinement on the Shadow in Brazil, we had not had a verandah, I may have gone stir crazy.  The odds of this happening again are very small (hopefully) but in this environment, it's not inconceivable.  You are the only one who can figure out your tolerance for such a scenario.  I wouldn't wish that on anyone !  But no matter what the cabin you occupy, you will be treated royally so don't let that concern you.  Awww.... I wish I could be there right now, verandah or not.  Happy planning.

I have been cruising with silversea since 2005 100 days plus & have only ever booked a vista 

It's always been a very pleasant experience , that said three times we have been upgraded to verandah suite which I can honestly say I could count on one hand how many times we used it.... 

As for the windows we have only experienced poor visibility I think twice!!!

As we say in the UK smallest house in the best Street..

Happy cruising soon🚢

Another positive, as stated above, is that once you reach your first "free" week, you will get to travel in a Veranda suite even though you have earned it in a Vista.  We have friends who always travel in a Vista suite because they say that with the money saved, every sixth cruise is free.

• Like 2