Thermal scanners to be used by Carnival.

outdoors27

2 hours ago, jimbo5544 said:

It is one of the classic signs, they will have no choice but to deny boarding,   

Actually they will have no choice but to do further screening before making that decision.

What if you took 4 or 5 Tylenol or Ibuprofen before boarding.  Wouldn't this reduce a fever and mask symptoms?  Temperature taking may be a way for Carnival and others to open back up, but it isn't fool proof.

I wonder about being in the hot sun all day if that affects your temperature.  Last year it was so hot in Mahogany Bay that everyone in my group was over heated to the point that we didn't get off the ship the next day.

15 minutes ago, dallasdan said:

I wonder about being in the hot sun all day if that affects your temperature.  Last year it was so hot in Mahogany Bay that everyone in my group was over heated to the point that we didn't get off the ship the next day.

I can see where thermal checks could identify people having heat strokes and in need of medical attention anyway.

2 hours ago, beerman2 said:

Thought I had read it's almost impossible to get trip insurance right now. 

You are correct they should give credit if they refuse to let you board. Better yet they "should" refund your money.

I am not positive, but pretty sure they are accepting policies, although they now may additional riders of coverage and exclusions.   

I imagine they will check your temp before you check in and not when you are actually boarding the ship. I'm also fairly confident that they won't check you again unless you go to medical sometime during the cruise or show other symptoms. No checking you every time you get back on the ship or anything like that as not many folks would have an accurate reading at those points. We have similar scanners at work, and they can detect a face in the camera's field of view and have your temp measured within a tenth of a second.

Hi everyone, Im the OP here for this thread and wanted to post an additional article I just saw a short time ago. I know enough people have been weighing in here so I saw no need to start another thread. I know its concerning NCL but its breakdown of their game plan for a return to cruising. I realize nothing is prefect but who knows if carnival won't adopt some of this as well. Some has already been discussed but I think there maybe a few things that haven't. Take care..

https://www.frommers.com/blogs/arthur-frommer-online/blog_posts/the-first-cruise-line-safety-plan-is-out-acid-fogs-and-no-buffets

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, outdoors27 said:

Hi everyone, Im the OP here for this thread and wanted to post an additional article I just saw a short time ago. I know enough people have been weighing in here so I saw no need to start another thread. I know its concerning NCL but its breakdown of their game plan for a return to cruising. I realize nothing is prefect but who knows if carnival won't adopt some of this as well. Some has already been discussed but I think there maybe a few things that haven't. Take care..

https://www.frommers.com/blogs/arthur-frommer-online/blog_posts/the-first-cruise-line-safety-plan-is-out-acid-fogs-and-no-buffets

That's interesting, although this seems like overkill:

"constant screenings for high temperatures among passengers—prior to embarkation, upon returning to the ship from a port of call, before meals, before all activities in public venues, and prior to disembarkation"

They also mention having rapid testing available, but don't say if they would require testing before boarding the ship.

2 minutes ago, TNcruising02 said:

"constant screenings for high temperatures among passengers—prior to embarkation, upon returning to the ship from a port of call, before meals, before all activities in public venues, and prior to disembarkation"

They also mention having rapid testing available, but don't say if they would require testing before boarding the ship.

Agreed on overkill but if overkill is what it takes to get the ball rolling and ships sailing it might be the way to go. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, outdoors27 said:

Agreed on overkill but if overkill is what it takes to get the ball rolling and ships sailing it might be the way to go. I guess we'll have to wait and see.

That's true, but it seems they are saying that they will constantly be taking temperatures since people usually eat three meals a day, go to activities daily, and see shows daily.  That's pretty much all day long, every day.

Thank you @outdoors27for posting the link to the Frommer's article.  Very interesting and I wonder what the acid fog will be like from it's description, how often they would fog and what guest areas:

"fogging of guest areas with hypochlorous acid as a disinfectant. NCL explains: "Hypochlorous acid is a non-toxic, powerful oxidant that effectively kills bacteria, spores, and viruses. It is natural and safe to use in open areas since it is comprised of natural elements such as water and salt, and electric charge."

The fogging sounds like a much easier way for them to clean large areas.  On my last cruise, besides constantly cleaning the hand rails, I saw the crew cleaning the outside of cabin doors and the floors of balconies.  The fogger seems like it could save a lot of time and have better coverage. I assume they would do it in the middle of the night.

Edited by TNcruising02
  • Like 1

If or when these things get installed and used, one way it could be done is how they are done at the port of entries in Asia. Attached to the ceiling so it is not pointing at you. I have gone through that process at an asian port of entry for high fever a last year and completed a health assessment . One issue I do see is that some people may get false readings due to the Caribbean heat.  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TNcruising02 said:

I think after they take the temperature, a person who has a fever is pulled aside for a health assessment and not immediately turned away.  At least that's the way I understood it for my cruise this past March.

That makes the most sense I've read here. 

• Like 1

I don't oppose having my temperature taken. I'm concerned though. I burn when out in the sun very easily no matter how much sunscreen I use. A sunburn will increase your temperature. So what will happen if I'm at the pool or out at a port and get burned? There has to be some guidelines to this. Also my kids and husband run hot on a normal basis. If one of them are hot, the whole trip would be a no go. I hope they come up with something better by time we cruise at the beginning of September. But if not, I guess we take our chances. I hope Carnival puts out more information soon on their protocol for sailing.  

On 6/2/2020 at 2:30 PM, Saint Greg said:

We're using a device at work that's like a mounted ipad. You look at it and the camera detects your temperature. It makes some people feel better but It's not a substitute for a covid19 test.

A COVID-19 test is only useful in the moment. A person who tests negative at embarkation could test positive the next day. 🤷🏻‍♀️

On 6/4/2020 at 5:16 PM, TNcruising02 said:

Can you imagine being left behind on some island, because you got sunburned on the beach? 😳

2 minutes ago, StillPooh said:

A COVID-19 test is only useful in the moment. A person who tests negative at embarkation could test positive the next day. 🤷🏻‍♀️

I don't know how that's possible if everyone tested negative. 

Just now, Saint Greg said:

I don't know how that's possible if everyone tested negative. 

If you have just been exposed prior to the test is one way.

But some of the rapid tests have up to a 50% or higher false negative result.

Here is one example:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200526173832.htm

and another

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-white-house-test-staff-kits-accused-false-negatives-2020-5

3 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

If you have just been exposed prior to the test is one way.

But some of the rapid tests have up to a 50% or higher false negative result.

Here is one example:

https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2020/05/200526173832.htm

and another

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-white-house-test-staff-kits-accused-false-negatives-2020-5

Then sports are about to fail big time because their return is all based around testing.

Thermal scanning is and will become pretty common , I hVe seen underwriting guidelines being written and in development within the last 30 days to help business Comply with their liability insurance and reduce risk.. 

‘people will sign waiver , acknowledging  Scanning and other mitigation’s steps they will also sign that they have not been ill and are not taking any fever reducing Drugs and remedies .. it’s lists a bunch also drugs and remedies .

this will help and people take much more serious when they sign and it also passes liability to the ones who sign and are masking fever by taking Advil and such.

this was a big issue in the early stages of this pandemic especially in people arriving in Milan from Asia as the Asian  airports were putting in scanners 

• Like 2