Royal's Repositioning Cruises

Is anyone else disappointed with Royals Repositioning cruises to Europe.

Booked my 2020 repositioning with NCL as they visited many more ports than Royal. 

2021 in no better: usually 2 ports of call vs NCL's 5-7.

Already ruled out Royal for next year.

As a stock holder this needs to be reviewed.

32 minutes ago, scootersdad said:

Booked my 2020 repositioning with NCL as they visited many more ports than Royal. 

There was only one 2020 repo to Europe this year. 🤔

Only two stops,  Allure in March

Unsure of the status of the return trips

What 2020 trips does NCL offer

As far as reviewing,  what do you want done?

Pretty sure their schedules fit their needs

Edited by John&LaLa
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

What 2020 trips does NCL offer

Epic, worst big ship, is doing Barcelona to San Juan in November, very cheap at $399 pp inside.

Star, worst small ship, is doing 20 days Lisbon to Argentina from November into December with 8 stops including 3 in Brazil.  Current prices are $699 pp inside.

10 minutes ago, mugtech said:

Epic, worst big ship, is doing Barcelona to San Juan in November, very cheap at $399 pp inside.

Star, worst small ship, is doing 20 days Lisbon to Argentina from November into December with 8 stops including 3 in Brazil.  Current prices are $699 pp inside.

Those ships are both over there now?🤔

Royal TA's will likely be very limited this fall

Besides, OP said repo to Europe, not from.😉

Laura did a TA on Sun back in 2008, it was bad then🤣

1 hour ago, scootersdad said:

RCCL needs to visit more ports in their Repositioning cruises to Europe if they want to fill up their ships.

• Like 2

Just now, Dennis#1 said:

RCCL needs to visit more ports in their Repositioning cruises to Europe if they want to fill up their ships.

I don't know, some folks like sea days on those TA's.

We did however enjoy the TA on Serenade last year. It had a ton of ports,  but it was a 15 or 16 day crossing

• Like 4

1 hour ago, scootersdad said:

Adding extra ports means adding extra days.  TA’s due to their length and sometimes high travel costs serve a limited market.  I’m pretty sure that Royal wouldn’t be able to raise the price enough so that those extra days  yielded the same Revenue per day that they would get by the days they would lose either on either end of the TA. 

Other  than a few unique itineraries most TA’s are viewed by the cruise lines as a necessary evil in getting their ships from one profitable market to another and if they can put some paying passengers on board to offset the cost of moving the ship then that is a bonus. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, John&LaLa said:

We did however enjoy the TA on Serenade last year. It had a ton of ports,  but it was a 15 or 16 day crossing

Agree, Love my Sea Days. Supposed to be on Jewel's TA this Nov2020 with 4 Port & 10 Sea Days. The Aug2021 Brilliance MIA/BOS Repo with 7 Ports & 6 Seas Days. Then of course done the Boston/Florida Repo 11/12/13 niters on Brilliance or Serenade, 7 out of 9yrs and always has 6 Sea Days...

The Brilliance TA via Greenland was massively oversubscribed because it had such a good itinerary

The posts claiming they just want to get it over with because of costs are wrong 

Better itineraries will see filled ships at high prices - I agree entirely with the OP

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not exactly the same thing but I really would prefer a partial panama on rcl than carnival. Jewel has 2 this dec that go to colon panama and then I realized the ship doesnt do a up close to see the locks, it's not part of the itinerary. 

The carnival ship does a up close look at the locks as part of the itinerary. But I'm reluctant to book carnival. Only carnival and rcl go out of Galveston and I would like to see the locks. 

I wish rcl had this itinerary. 

20200603_013504869.jpeg

3 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Those ships are both over there now?🤔

😉

Laura did a TA on Sun back in 2008, it was bad then🤣

Star going to get repairs done in Europe, then scheduled to do SA.  Do not know what up with Epic.

Edited by mugtech

We've done a few TA's, I remember when they did a couple of stops in Europe and then one or two in the Caribbean before going into the USA and vice versa, the one I remember that did this was Mariner in 2012 which went from Rome to Galveston, shortest was the Oasis which may have been around 2014 and stopped in Vigo only.

We are due to sail on Vision in September from Barcelona to NYC with only 2 stops in Spain and Bermuda but it seems more doubtful every day it will go ahead.

The better the Transatlantic itinerary - the higher the price. Our first TA was on Celebrity Constellation in September 2009 from Harwich to Bayonne, with a great northern itinerary  via  the British Isles, Iceland, and Canada. Adventure OTS in November 2010 had another excellent  itinerary from Barcelona to San Juan. The current crop of  TAs with only a couple of ports and the rest sea days are usually pretty cheap, and we have one booked. However, I’d pay more for a better itinerary. 

Edited by NancyIL
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

49E9405E-9160-4BDC-8201-F37DB971401C.thumb.gif.6a8bd59a5877026b194ae29ec3feee31.gif

8 hours ago, Dennis#1 said:

exactly my point     RCL you see this ??

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, compman9 said:

The Brilliance TA via Greenland was massively oversubscribed because it had such a good itinerary

The posts claiming they just want to get it over with because of costs are wrong 

Better itineraries will see filled ships at high prices - I agree entirely with the OP

But those go to Boston, and the repositioning ships are generally in Florida😉

And Ken's logic is spot on.

Edited by John&LaLa

Just now, John&LaLa said:

But those go to Boston, and the repositioning ships are generally in Florida😉

This.

They can only send so many ships up north.   There is only so much of a market for fall foliage cruises.  If they send all their ships on northern TAs, it then takes another repo cruise to get them to back to FL where they want and need them to be in the winter.

I agree that it would be nice to have maybe 1-2 more Northern TAs per season (I was booked on the Brilliance TA the day it came out.  Crushed when I cancelled it in May) but RCI clearly runs the numbers and it’s not in their favor to do a bunch of northern TAs for whatever reason.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, John&LaLa said:

Exactly - we're scheduled on Harmony next April for the 12nt to Barcelona (same as you did this year, John) and it was the 9 straight sea days that sold me.

9 minutes ago, ramja96 said:

Exactly - we're scheduled on Harmony next April for the 12nt to Barcelona (same as you did this year, John) and it was the 9 straight sea days that sold me.

I would have traded the stop in Punta Delgado for say Cartagena or Gibraltar.

Malaga was awesome 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, firefly333 said:

Not exactly the same thing but I really would prefer a partial panama on rcl than carnival. Jewel has 2 this dec that go to colon panama and then I realized the ship doesnt do a up close to see the locks, it's not part of the itinerary. 

The carnival ship does a up close look at the locks as part of the itinerary. But I'm reluctant to book carnival. Only carnival and rcl go out of Galveston and I would like to see the locks. 

I wish rcl had this itinerary. 

20200603_013504869.jpeg

There is an excursion offered In Colon, Panama called “Wonders of Engineering: Panama Canal Locks and Culebra Cut Cruise”  that is offered by RCL.  It is fantastic!  You cruise on a ferry through the Locks and Canal.