Wind Star Transatlantic, thoughts?

vtgumby

Hi Windstar cruisers!

We are considering doing a transatlantic cruise on the Wind Spirit and wonder if anyone else has done one of these cruises? We love our sea days and do mostly repositioning cruises but not sure if 15 days with absolutely no stops is the right way to go on a small sailing ship and looking for any input if they’ve done these before.
Most of our transatlantic‘s are on larger ships in the 2000 to 4000 person size and indeed we had one crossing with 45 to 60 foot waves for two days, the captain said he hadn’t had seas like that since his fishing days, so that was a fun couple of days (it really was!) but I don’t think it would be as much fun on a sailing ship, just saying.
So anyone’s thoughts who have done the sailing TA’s are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

1 hour ago, vtgumby said:

Hi Windstar cruisers!

We are considering doing a transatlantic cruise on the Wind Spirit and wonder if anyone else has done one of these cruises? We love our sea days and do mostly repositioning cruises but not sure if 15 days with absolutely no stops is the right way to go on a small sailing ship and looking for any input if they’ve done these before.
Most of our transatlantic‘s are on larger ships in the 2000 to 4000 person size and indeed we had one crossing with 45 to 60 foot waves for two days, the captain said he hadn’t had seas like that since his fishing days, so that was a fun couple of days (it really was!) but I don’t think it would be as much fun on a sailing ship, just saying.
So anyone’s thoughts who have done the sailing TA’s are greatly appreciated!
Thanks!

You must be referring to the Wind Star or the Wind Surf.  The Wind Spirit is in Tahiti.

We have completed 2 trans Atlantic passages with the Wind  Surf and one trans Pacific with the Wind Spirit when it transitioned to Tahiti. We love them. We love the perspective of the world when we wake each day and see no land, we love the quiet, we appreciate the feeling of time,  sort of like the pandemic, only much nicer obviously, with no agenda ( we are retired ). We love the slowness of a sailing ship, yes the engines are cut once in a while and we love that silence. We love the freshness of the air and the colors of the blues. We love looking out on the ocean for hours and the pensiveness  forces us into. We find people who have been on trans ocean cruising to be different and interesting, it is a different array of people. What we really love is the smallness of the ships. Obviously we would highly recommend the experience. Happy Sailing

( I have great traveling weather karma, we have never encountered storms I live in the NE where my weather karma is not so great) 

• Like 1

THANKS for sharing, my only concern was it might be small for the crossing but your glowing recommendation pushes us forward (and like you we have mostly encountered smooth seas) so I appreciate your thoughts!

My husband was an officer on the Windsurf and I'm sure he would have agreed with Strenz that the crossings are different than the port intensive cruises.  For one thing, they're much more laid back. Although there were activities (shipboard golf was one), guests entertained themselves and relaxed more.  He told me there were some cruisers who only liked crossings and who would return every year, meeting up with fellow travelers to continue their card games, knitting circles, reading groups.  

• Like 2

You will love the TA cruises.  We took the Wind Surf across the pond and back last year and loved it.  We were booked on the St. Maarten - Barcelona sailing this last April...  But, we will be back!  We've met several couples last year that were scheduled to be on our last April cruise as well.  We're all keeping in touch when she sails again across the pond (most likely next April).  We're also looking at her cruises in January/February, since we can't wait to sail again!   

• 2 weeks later...

We did a TA on the Star Legend this past February 2019 and loved it. One of the smoothest TA’s ever. We have usually crossed the Atlantic on larger ships, but so enjoyed this one that as soon as cruising really resumes, we will sign up for another.

Our Captain actually kept us from rough seas by changing course. As a result, we arrived in Madeira a day earlier than expected and spent two days there instead of just one.