How to use(up)the voucher

Pronsias OhAodha

I just rebooked our August Viking Homelands cruise to June, 2021. After upgrading the cabin from DV to PV1 and doubling the pre-trip extension I'm left with about $4,500 ( a $1k ship board credit was also applied for this booking).

I know it's use it or lose it, so my question is will I be able to use this up on excursions? The excursions were just becoming visible on My Viking page and I did not spend much time there or remember the costs.

Any other suggestions for how to use this?

Thanks,

Frank

You should be able to pay for the "gratuities" and buy the bev. package. Use shipboard for spa, gifts, etc. You should not have too much trouble using up the rest on excursions. Consider further upgrade to PS and mid level air.

• Like 1

Just curious ... were you issued a voucher right away?  We cancelled our July 2020 cruise and rebooked for,   July 2021.  We are waiting for the voucher from Viking that was supposed to take 2 to 3 weeks.  It is now four and no word.  I wasn't sure why it would take so long to issue it but we are anxiously waiting to complete the re-booking process and lock everything in.

38 minutes ago, molymoo said:

Just curious ... were you issued a voucher right away?  We cancelled our July 2020 cruise and rebooked for,   July 2021.  We are waiting for the voucher from Viking that was supposed to take 2 to 3 weeks.  It is now four and no word.  I wasn't sure why it would take so long to issue it but we are anxiously waiting to complete the re-booking process and lock everything in.

On May 1, we cancelled and rebooked a cruise embarking December 9 as both the cruise fare and air was reduced. I was told to expect a credit card refund for the $1,000 deposit (less $200) soon but to wait at least 3 weeks for the vouchers - tomorrow it will be 5 weeks (cancelled December cruise was paid for with vouchers from a cancelled cruise in March). Got the credit card refund, but still no vouchers. And these vouchers are dedicated for the rebooked cruise - where the payment is just about due. My Viking rep said to ignore any notices that I owe anything (so far haven't got any).

5 hours ago, molymoo said:

We waited until Viking cancelled Mollymoo. The voucher was attached to the email announcing the cancellation and it was available for use immediately. 

Pronsias

We too are on a June 2021 Homelands cruise, rebooked from May 30th this year.  It was relatively easy to use the Viking 125% voucher, even w/o a cabin upgrade.   We added a Bergen/Oslo post extension, the prepaid gratuities and the Silver Spirits package.   That leaves us slightly over $2000 (for 2) to use on excursions.   We don’t really see a problem in using this amount.   There are a number of relatively high cost quality excursions being offered (Pulpit Rock & the Flam RR are both north of $200 pp).  We are booking a third party StP tour (Alla) but if one booked the Viking sponsored excursions, I think you are looking at costs in excess of $500 pp just for StP. 

Bottomline, I think you’ll be able to spend your voucher and receive quality in return.  If you still have $$ to spend, the Iceland pre or post could, by itself, consume most of the voucher credit.   We are doing an Iceland post, but on our own and not thru Viking, as we have been there several times in the past and have our own desired itinerary.  

Enjoy your cruise and spending your voucher.

We are on Trade Routes of the Middle Ages September 15th of this year. We considered cancelling before penalties started on May 18th but decided to wait and hope for Viking to do it so we could get the 125%. Our shore excursions are up for looking, although not booking, and I was frankly shocked to see how many optional excursions there were and how expensive they are! This would have been our first Viking Ocean cruise and I thought the excursions were built into the high price. I estimate we will spend over $1000 on optional excursions. I will book them when I am allowed to so that the amount will be included in the 125%.

2 hours ago, Virgo61 said:

We are on Trade Routes of the Middle Ages September 15th of this year. We considered cancelling before penalties started on May 18th but decided to wait and hope for Viking to do it so we could get the 125%. Our shore excursions are up for looking, although not booking, and I was frankly shocked to see how many optional excursions there were and how expensive they are! This would have been our first Viking Ocean cruise and I thought the excursions were built into the high price. I estimate we will spend over $1000 on optional excursions. I will book them when I am allowed to so that the amount will be included in the 125%.

I think it's fair to say that Viking prices their excursions pretty aggressively. Check prices of similar to identical excursions on the open market to compare. Bear in mind that when you purchase an optional excursion you are actually buying two excursions, given that you have already paid for the included one.

18 minutes ago, duquephart said:

I think it's fair to say that Viking prices their excursions pretty aggressively. Check prices of similar to identical excursions on the open market to compare. Bear in mind that when you purchase an optional excursion you are actually buying two excursions, given that you have already paid for the included one.

I found the price difference to vary with no pattern. Unlike other cruise line excursions I experienced, only Viking folks are included in the tour group despite a higher cost. In many (if not most) cases, taking an optional Viking excursion does not interfere with the included one, hence you’re not necessarily buying 2 excursions. This is especially true when the cruise has 2 or more consecutive nights in one port.

I had a situation with a Viking excursion a few years back too complex to get into here, but suffice to say, Viking handled it well. Had it been a third party, I would not have had the same resolution. For me, the bottom line is when at sea, I use Viking for that extra insurance. I have heard first person experiences on river cruises where folks missed the boat. When on land on a pre or post extension, I do both as the hotel is not going anywhere.

59 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

I found the price difference to vary with no pattern. Unlike other cruise line excursions I experienced, only Viking folks are included in the tour group despite a higher cost. In many (if not most) cases, taking an optional Viking excursion does not interfere with the included one, hence you’re not necessarily buying 2 excursions. This is especially true when the cruise has 2 or more consecutive nights in one port.

I had a situation with a Viking excursion a few years back too complex to get into here, but suffice to say, Viking handled it well. Had it been a third party, I would not have had the same resolution. For me, the bottom line is when at sea, I use Viking for that extra insurance. I have heard first person experiences on river cruises where folks missed the boat. When on land on a pre or post extension, I do both as the hotel is not going anywhere.

Of course you're buying two excursions. The "included" excursion has a cost associated with it that is figured in to the cost of the cruise, same as port fees, taxes, etc.

8 minutes ago, duquephart said:

Of course you're buying two excursions. The "included" excursion has a cost associated with it that is figured in to the cost of the cruise, same as port fees, taxes, etc.

my assumption was that you meant the optional excursion takes place at the same time as an included excursion  - hence, you’re paying for two excursions and going on one. Of course we’re paying for included excursions, and we’re buying several  - not just one. Not sure what your point is.  I’m also paying for wine and beer I don’t drink, as well as other amenities I pay for but do not partake in.

12 minutes ago, duquephart said:

This, by the way, is where Viking makes a few extra bucks. They save whatever they would have needed to pay for the "included" excursion while selling you the optional one. It's like skipping ports ----- they pocket whatever is saved in fees/taxes.

2 minutes ago, Squawkman said:

my assumption was that you meant the optional excursion takes place at the same time as an included excursion  - hence, you’re paying for two excursions and going on one. Of course we’re paying for included excursions, and we’re buying several  - not just one. Not sure what your point is.  I’m also paying for wine and beer I don’t drink, as well as other amenities I pay for but do not partake in.

Indeed. Viking counts on this. Too bad there's not a "bare bones" option for some, although it would be a terrible idea. All those lunches people are not eating must add up.