Hi Steve.

I have two questions.

1)  Will the policies I purchased in 2019 (from the companies you sell) cover me for medical expenses if I get sick with COVID-19 while on my trip?

2)  If I purchase a new policy now (for a new trip), would it cover me for medical expenses if I get sick with COVID-19 while on my trip?

Thank you for doing this forum!

9 hours ago, SusieQft said:

Hi Steve.

I have two questions.

1)  Will the policies I purchased in 2019 (from the companies you sell) cover me for medical expenses if I get sick with COVID-19 while on my trip?

2)  If I purchase a new policy now (for a new trip), would it cover me for medical expenses if I get sick with COVID-19 while on my trip?

Thank you for doing this forum!

Hi SusieQft,

You are welcome. I'm thankful to CruiseCritic for letting me do these Q & As. What a change in the travel business in just the 7 months since I did the Q & A in Nov. 2019!

> Will the policies I purchased in 2019 (from the companies you sell) cover me for medical expenses if I get sick with COVID-19 while on my trip?

I don't which ones you have. If you don't want to disclose them here, you may email me at steve@tripinsurancestore.com and I will tell you.

> If I purchase a new policy now (for a new trip), would it cover me for medical expenses if I get sick with COVID-19 while on my trip?

About 2/3 of my plans will cover you and 1/3 will not. Without knowing the exact plan you are referring to, I cannot tell you if it will cover you.

Steve Dasseos

49 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

> Will the policies I purchased in 2019 (from the companies you sell) cover me for medical expenses if I get sick with COVID-19 while on my trip?

I don't which ones you have. If you don't want to disclose them here, you may email me at steve@tripinsurancestore.com and I will tell you.

I have Travelex Select and Travel Insured, on different trips.  Both purchased in 2019.

What plans do you sell that will not cover medical expenses for COVID-19 on policies purchased in 2019?  That sounds pretty egregious, and I want to make sure I don't buy them in the future.

Steve, same questions as above.  I have purchased Worldwide Trip Protector Plus for Venice/Rhapsody this October, 2020.

I also have Worldwide Trip Protector (without the cancel for any reason) for the Galapagos in 3/21.  Same questions.

Thanks!

Vivian Cook

4 hours ago, SusieQft said:

I have Travelex Select and Travel Insured, on different trips.  Both purchased in 2019.

Hi SusieQft,

Assuming you, a travel companion or family member don't have the Coronavirus now, both those companies view it as any other illness.

Steve Dasseos

• Thanks 1

I purchase annual medical coverage as I tend to travel frequently and am satisfied with the cancellation/interruption coverage from Chase Sapphire Reserve card.   I have used GeoBlue Trekker in the past.  I did not renew when it expired in May due to not traveling.   I have the same question as above but regarding an annual medical policy.   It looks like GeoBlue would not cover covid-19 at this point due to level-3 CDC travel advisories.  Do you know if this will change when CDC allows cruises from USA again?   If not GeoBlue are there annual policies which cover you if you contract Coronavirus while traveling.  

I have also read that MediJet will not transport you if you have any infectious disease including Covid-19.  Is this correct?  Any alternatives?

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

I purchase annual medical coverage as I tend to travel frequently and am satisfied with the cancellation/interruption coverage from Chase Sapphire Reserve card.   I have used GeoBlue Trekker in the past.  I did not renew when it expired in May due to not traveling.   I have the same question as above but regarding an annual medical policy.   It looks like GeoBlue would not cover covid-19 at this point due to level-3 CDC travel advisories.  Do you know if this will change when CDC allows cruises from USA again?   If not GeoBlue are there annual policies which cover you if you contract Coronavirus while traveling.  

I have also read that MediJet will not transport you if you have any infectious disease including Covid-19.  Is this correct?  Any alternatives?

Hi wrk2cruise,

The annual plans currently have Covid-19 restrictions. MedJet has always had this exclusion: "A member with tuberculosis or other chronic airborne pathogens may not be transported". They have added this: "Medjet cannot transport a member actively infected with COVID. We can, however, transport for post-infection complications and continued hospitalization."

The other memebership plans have similar restrictions.

How soon until you are going on your next trip? You can get the Geo Blue and MedJet plans just before departure so there's no reason to get them way in advance of a trip.

I hope this helps,

Steve Dasseos

Next trip is a cruise scheduled for early November.  Do you expect Geo Blue to lift the restriction when travel restrictions are loosened?   From the text it looked like they were using the exclusion about level 3 travel restrictions to add the covid-19 restrictions.

Between now and November I will determine if I'm willing to risk the chance of contracting covid while traveling.  I'm not sure I'd be willing to assume the financial risk if I were to contract the disease and require extensive medical treatment.

Above I see you say that about 2/3 of the plans you handle do provide coverage so I guess that single trip coverage would be an option even if an annual policy isn't.  I've used Worldwide Trip Protector in the past, are they one of the plans who would provide coverage at this time.

I will certainly give your company a call when the time comes to make a decision.   I'm really concerned that many experienced cruisers are not aware of this risk.

2 hours ago, wrk2cruise said:

Next trip is a cruise scheduled for early November.  Do you expect Geo Blue to lift the restriction when travel restrictions are loosened?   From the text it looked like they were using the exclusion about level 3 travel restrictions to add the covid-19 restrictions.

Between now and November I will determine if I'm willing to risk the chance of contracting covid while traveling.  I'm not sure I'd be willing to assume the financial risk if I were to contract the disease and require extensive medical treatment.

Above I see you say that about 2/3 of the plans you handle do provide coverage so I guess that single trip coverage would be an option even if an annual policy isn't.  I've used Worldwide Trip Protector in the past, are they one of the plans who would provide coverage at this time.

I will certainly give your company a call when the time comes to make a decision.   I'm really concerned that many experienced cruisers are not aware of this risk.

Hi wrk2crusie,

> Do you expect Geo Blue to lift the restriction when travel restrictions are loosened?

Yes, they told me they will remove it.

Travel Insured and the other companies that cover the Coronavirius treat it as a normal illness assuming you don't have it when you buy it. The coverage is only for medical treatment & transportation.

Steve Dasseos

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I have a cruise booked for the end of Nov through Carnival. Final payment is Aug 31st. We have no idea if cruising will be happening in Nov, and even if it is, I am not sure we will feel comfortable cruising by then. If Carnival cancels, we will simply use the money toward a future cruise (likely with an additional OBC). If the cruise industry opens up the week before but we are still not comfortable and cancel, we are out the money. 

So insurance is definitely something we are looking into. My question is, are travel insurance companies taking covid into account and possibly adjusting their rates, or is that even a valid reason to cancel? I know it isn't a valid reason if I take out the carnival insurance, but a possible outside insurance, is that a valid reason? 

1 hour ago, Magus said:

I have a cruise booked for the end of Nov through Carnival. Final payment is Aug 31st. We have no idea if cruising will be happening in Nov, and even if it is, I am not sure we will feel comfortable cruising by then. If Carnival cancels, we will simply use the money toward a future cruise (likely with an additional OBC). If the cruise industry opens up the week before but we are still not comfortable and cancel, we are out the money. 

So insurance is definitely something we are looking into. My question is, are travel insurance companies taking covid into account and possibly adjusting their rates, or is that even a valid reason to cancel? I know it isn't a valid reason if I take out the carnival insurance, but a possible outside insurance, is that a valid reason? 

Hi Magus,

When did you pay your deposit?

Steve Dasseos

21 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

A more general question on this topic, is will any insurers be willing to provide travel medical coverage post-covid-19?  And will new cancellation policies all exclude covid-19 as an insurable reason for cancellation?

Hi Wendy,

Probably, but there's no way to know for sure.

Steve

On 6/20/2020 at 1:29 PM, Magus said:

My question is, are travel insurance companies taking covid into account and possibly adjusting their rates, or is that even a valid reason to cancel? I know it isn't a valid reason if I take out the carnival insurance, but a possible outside insurance, is that a valid reason? 

Hi Magus,

Rates will likely go up because the claims losses have been catastrophic.

Cancelling for government advisories, restrictions, fear, worry and the like will still not be covered reasons to cancel a trip. If you want to cancel your trip for any not-covered reason, you must have the Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) coverage.

You might find this helpful, too:

https://tripinsurancestore.com/blog/overlooked-travel-insurance-exclusions/

Steve Dasseos

8 minutes ago, iamtrustworthy said:

Cancelling for government advisories, restrictions, fear, worry and the like will still not be covered reasons to cancel a trip. If you want to cancel your trip for any not-covered reason, you must have the Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) coverage.

Well that's a big bummer, and hardly seems fair.  I know my travel medical carrier won't cover Covid for travel to a country when our country (Canada) has an advisory not to travel there (like to the U.S. right now.)

So the insurance companies get to have their cake and eat it too.  Prohibit coverage when governments ban travel, and not provide cancellation coverage when countries ban travel after policies have been purchased.  Gheesh!

• Like 1

Steve,

We noticed that GEOBLUE has a warning about not giving COVID-19 coverage in places that are subject to a CDC Level 3 Warning.  Since late March, the entire world seems to be under a Level 3 warning.  Are any of the travel medical insurers still offering worldwide coverage without that CDC exclusion?

Hank

2 hours ago, Wendy The Wanderer said:

Well that's a big bummer, and hardly seems fair.  I know my travel medical carrier won't cover Covid for travel to a country when our country (Canada) has an advisory not to travel there (like to the U.S. right now.)

So the insurance companies get to have their cake and eat it too.  Prohibit coverage when governments ban travel, and not provide cancellation coverage when countries ban travel after policies have been purchased.  Gheesh!

Hi Wendy,

Based on your profile, I couldn't tell you were Canadian. What I said only applies to a USA travel insurance company. Canadian plans work completely different when it comes to the medical coverage.

> So the insurance companies get to have their cake and eat it too.  Prohibit coverage when governments ban travel, and not provide cancellation coverage when countries ban travel after policies have been purchased.

No, what I wrote has not changed due to the Coronavirus. This has always been true:

"Cancelling for government advisories, restrictions, fear, worry and the like will still not be covered reasons to cancel a trip. If you want to cancel your trip for any not-covered reason, you must have the Cancel For Any Reason (CFAR) coverage."

I hope this makes sense.

Steve Dasseos

1 hour ago, Hlitner said:

Steve,

We noticed that GEOBLUE has a warning about not giving COVID-19 coverage in places that are subject to a CDC Level 3 Warning.  Since late March, the entire world seems to be under a Level 3 warning.  Are any of the travel medical insurers still offering worldwide coverage without that CDC exclusion?

Hank

Hi Hank,

Not that I know of right now.

Steve

• Thanks 1