Pay 50% of cruise

antsp

If you have a booking does it not make sense to pay 50% of your booking before final payment. If Princess cancels the cruise you would get double your money back as a fcc. Am I reading the t and c correctly 

• Like 1

Or, you could take the same amount and invest it in Carnival stock which just might double and get back to it's value before Covid19, possibly pay a dividend and if you haven't already owned the stock then now you will get shareholder benefit for that next cruise.  Either way it's a possible win.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, antsp said:

If you have a booking does it not make sense to pay 50% of your booking before final payment. If Princess cancels the cruise you would get double your money back as a fcc. Am I reading the t and c correctly 

It is a decent theory. However in late February I paid in full for June, cancelled it in March and no sign of any refund. £4000 down.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Grego said:

Or, you could take the same amount and invest it in Carnival stock which just might double and get back to it's value before Covid19, possibly pay a dividend and if you haven't already owned the stock then now you will get shareholder benefit for that next cruise.  Either way it's a possible win.

But both have the same potential downfall: The risk that CCL files for bankruptcy and you lose your money. I'm not knowledgeable enough to judge how likely that is.

• Thanks 1

Would rather put 10% down and pay the rest within 30 days od departure.  If the cruise is cancelled then full refund of deposit.  The travel industry is stealing money from people with the permission of all regulatory and banking agencies.  Just look at how much money is currently being held for an unlimited time by them.  ust be tens of millions of dollars.  And no one does anything about it.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Potstech said:

Would rather put 10% down and pay the rest within 30 days od departure.  If the cruise is cancelled then full refund of deposit.  The travel industry is stealing money from people with the permission of all regulatory and banking agencies.  Just look at how much money is currently being held for an unlimited time by them.  ust be tens of millions of dollars.  And no one does anything about it.

what kind of gun was put to your head ?  seriously, it's your CHOICE … which is a beautiful thing 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, antsp said:

Princess changes their terms daily, so you are taking a big risk. I wouldn’t do it. 

• Like 2

I agree, we have a cruise that was only 150 short of being paid in full, the final payment isn't due until mid August, I've just paid that final 150 because if it is cancelled at least I will get the 25% fcc bonus, otherwise it would be just 100. Cruise is 3500 in total

5 hours ago, antsp said:

As long as you can afford the risk of losing the money, I say go for it!

• Like 8

2 hours ago, voljeep said:

what kind of gun was put to your head ?  seriously, it's your CHOICE … which is a beautiful thing 

The gun where the cruise line says you have to pay 90 days before departure in order to cruise. The gun that says they can change their policies at any time yet get to keep your money for an indefinite period even while they profess that it is good for the customer. THAT GUN!!!!

And there is no choice if a person wants to cruise.You do as they say or stay at home.

Edited by Potstech
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, antsp said:

This option did not exist for Pause 1 and Pause 2 cancelled cruises. It first appeared for Pause 3.

As far as future cancellations, you will need to consult your Magic 8 ball if that option will still exist.

18 hours ago, antsp said:

I agree, we have a cruise that was only 150 short of being paid in full, the final payment isn't due until mid August, I've just paid that final 150 because if it is cancelled at least I will get the 25% fcc bonus, otherwise it would be just 100. Cruise is 3500 in total

Assuming the Pause 3 options continue, if Princess cancels your cruise, your bonus will will be 25% of the basic cruise cost (does not include taxes and feels), as a guess (since I do not know your pricing) about $750.

But if you had not paid that last $150, the bonus FCC would have been up to $3350 or the basic cruise cost, whichever is less, and the $3350 you had paid would be refundable in the future if you did not use it for a cruise.

• Thanks 1

The cruise is from Singapore to Sydney, middle of November, I’ve no idea if the sailing will happen, and at this stage I’ve no idea if we will want to go. As far as I understand it, I’ve done the correct thing by paying the final150

• Like 1

Example - 

Cruise fare $ 1000

Port Fees, Taxes, PVP - $ 300

Total $ 1300

$ 100 FCC applied from a non-refundable deposit converted

$ 1200 cash paid by me

so cruise is paid in full … then PRINCESS cancels , say 30 days out

if I "let it all ride" and do nothing - how will my account looked after all is done as far as FCC's and 'Holding account'

Right now we are all gambling with our deposits and cruise payments. Some of us are letting it ride and some of us are not booking any more. 

We won't know what's really happening until cruising starts again. If you have the money to gamble, and pay 50% go for it. 

• Like 1

On 6/4/2020 at 4:44 AM, Grego said:

Why do you say "if you haven't already owned the stock then now you will get shareholder benefit for that next cruise. "  I see no restriction for buying/selling stocks.  In fact, my broker statement doesn't say when I bought the stock or how many times I've bought/sold.

On 6/4/2020 at 6:36 AM, dog said:

Princess changes their terms daily, so you are taking a big risk. I wouldn’t do it. 

What's the risk?  If they cancel, you get every penny back.  That's zero risk.  Sure the money is tied up but you weren't going to use it for anything else anyway, right?  It's basically in a savings account but not getting the measly interest that it could be earning.  Only risk I can think of is that the company goes under (and there's a low chance of that happening).  If that did happen, there should be some credit card and traveler's insurance protection at that point.   

On 6/4/2020 at 4:55 AM, darknightsdespiser said:

It is a decent theory. However in late February I paid in full for June, cancelled it in March and no sign of any refund. £4000 down.

Took me from  mid January before Covid went ballistic to a week ago to get $3000 back from Oceania and that was after my TA spent 2 hours on the phone several times working her way up the Oceania chain of command.  Don't get your hopes up.  You cancelled in March so you have only been waiting 3 months. I had to wait 5 months.

DON

• Like 1

15 hours ago, DrivesLikeMario said:

What's the risk?  If they cancel, you get every penny back.  That's zero risk.  Sure the money is tied up but you weren't going to use it for anything else anyway, right?  It's basically in a savings account but not getting the measly interest that it could be earning.  Only risk I can think of is that the company goes under (and there's a low chance of that happening).  If that did happen, there should be some credit card and traveler's insurance protection at that point.   

And look how long it takes to get every penny back. How do you know someone will not use that money for something else?  How many companies have either gone under or are on the verge of it right now? 

i keep going back and forth with myself over what I want to do as far as sending Princess any more money at this time ...

now ours is just a little cruise at the end of November with a maximum exposure of about $ 1,400 including port fees, taxes , and Platinum PVP with CFAR … with a current balance due of $ 1,000 , which we have in our 'cruise account' plus a little more for incidentals on the cruise

looking at future cruises in 2021, they are definitely a lot more that what we are currently paying on a per day basis for the same type cabin, and basically the same itinerary … at least 50% more and some double … so double the amount paid would be nice, of course ...

we wouldn't be financially devastated if the entire thing goes south , so we got that going for us

I dunno

33 minutes ago, voljeep said:

i keep going back and forth with myself over what I want to do as far as sending Princess any more money at this time ...

now ours is just a little cruise at the end of November with a maximum exposure of about $ 1,400 including port fees, taxes , and Platinum PVP with CFAR … with a current balance due of $ 1,000 , which we have in our 'cruise account' plus a little more for incidentals on the cruise

looking at future cruises in 2021, they are definitely a lot more that what we are currently paying on a per day basis for the same type cabin, and basically the same itinerary … at least 50% more and some double … so double the amount paid would be nice, of course ...

we wouldn't be financially devastated if the entire thing goes south , so we got that going for us

I dunno

If you already have a policy booked for a future cruise and it doesn't include CFAR, can you add PVP Platinum even after months have passed since booking the trip?

7 minutes ago, Daniel A said:

If you already have a policy booked for a future cruise and it doesn't include CFAR, can you add PVP Platinum even after months have passed since booking the trip?

per Princess website ...

Princess Vacation Protection can be purchased while booking your next cruise vacation on princess.com, by contacting your travel agent, by calling 1-800-PRINCESS, or on Cruise Personalizer. It is available for purchase up until final payment for your trip on all Princess Cruises, Princess Cruisetours, Princess Alaska Land Tours and Princess Canadian Rockies Land Tours, and is available at two levels: Standard or Platinum. Princess Vacation Protection is not in effect until the plan cost has been paid to Princess in addition to any required cruise deposits or payments.

• Thanks 1

On 6/4/2020 at 11:17 AM, Potstech said:

The gun where the cruise line says you have to pay 90 days before departure in order to cruise. The gun that says they can change their policies at any time yet get to keep your money for an indefinite period even while they profess that it is good for the customer. THAT GUN!!!!

And there is no choice if a person wants to cruise.You do as they say or stay at home.

There is a choice.  Book one or two weeks before departure instead.