NCL Refunding Port Charges and Gratutities Only

cruiser4801

Today, NCL started refunding ONLY port charges and pre-paid gratuities.  WHAT A JOKE.  They are supposedly waiting until later in June to start cruise refunds.  NCL is such a joke and not a funny one at that.  

NCL hopes us customer dummies will appreciate this ridiculous refund.  To me, it shows how mismanaged this company is.  Hopefully, most of us have requested credit card refunds that will eventually be honored.  

Remember all this when thinking about giving NCL any money on a future cruise.

NCL will never see my money again.

1 hour ago, cruiser4801 said:

Today, NCL started refunding ONLY port charges and pre-paid gratuities.  WHAT A JOKE.  They are supposedly waiting until later in June to start cruise refunds.  NCL is such a joke and not a funny one at that.  NCL hopes us customer dummies will appreciate this ridiculous refund.  To me, it shows how mismanaged this company is.  Hopefully, most of us have requested credit card refunds that will eventually be honored.  Remember all this when thinking about giving NCL any money on a future cruise. NCL will never see my money again.

Sorry that you did not understand how things were going to work. The refund of the port charges was automatic. And the issuance of the FCC was automatic. If you chose to request a different form of refund (i.e., cash), that would be done as a separate transaction 90 days from the date you requested it. 

There is no mismanagement. This is totally consistent with the way they described how things would work. Sorry that you did not understand that. 

• Like 1

as BirdTravels mentioned..... NCL has been totally transparent as to their plan. Granted the whole industry is in flux and plans change accordingly but there really aren't any surprises or mismanagement here.

6 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Sorry that you did not understand how things were going to work. The refund of the port charges was automatic. And the issuance of the FCC was automatic. If you chose to request a different form of refund (i.e., cash), that would be done as a separate transaction 90 days from the date you requested it. 

There is no mismanagement. This is totally consistent with the way they described how things would work. Sorry that you did not understand that. 

If the refund of port charges was automatic, how come I haven't gotten mine yet? It has been 6-7 weeks since cancellation and I haven't seen a dime.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, KateQ22003 said:

If the refund of port charges was automatic, how come I haven't gotten mine yet? It has been 6-7 weeks since cancellation and I haven't seen a dime.

Because they are well managed.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

9 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

So do we get port charges refunded?  Sorry if this is explained somewhere.  I got a FCC for the full amount (including the port charges) plus the 25% credit.  I didn't get anything refunded, including port charges or taxes/gratuities.  No criticizing NCL, just trying to understand since what you said is different than what I thought was happening. 

2 hours ago, KateQ22003 said:

Same, I filled out the cancellation refund form on March 23rd and haven't received anything back yet. Not sure where this "port fees are automatically refund" info is coming from. 

Such nonsense from the NCL pumpers on this board.  This IS a total scam by NCL and everyone knows it.

If you are expecting a full refund, today you will receive a refund of port charges and pre-paid gratuities only.  Later in June, when they are good and ready, NCL may refund the remainder of the cruise you paid for and which they cancelled.

NCL will never ever see my money again.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, cruiser4801 said:

Today, NCL started refunding ONLY port charges and pre-paid gratuities.  WHAT A JOKE.  They are supposedly waiting until later in June to start cruise refunds.  NCL is such a joke and not a funny one at that.  

NCL hopes us customer dummies will appreciate this ridiculous refund.  To me, it shows how mismanaged this company is.  Hopefully, most of us have requested credit card refunds that will eventually be honored.  

If you want to avoid all cruise lines,airlines,tour operators, travel companies and ticket dealers which are not giving you back 100% of your money within 14 days, then you have to stay at home for the rest of your life.

I`m reading a lots of reports and have seen a lot of reports on TV and there os NO company that has refunded all their customers within the period given by law.

ALL of them are trying to keep your money as long as possible. This is very bad and annoying,but you cannot blame only one of them all.

• Like 1

Yes, but others like AMEX Platinum have credited their customers' accounts and charged the cruises back to NCL and the other companies.  There are lessons to be learned by everyone's actions.

I now carry the AMEX Platinum Card and will never sail with NCL again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, cruiser4801 said:

So what? At least you got some refunds now and you'll be getting the rest in due time. NCL has to separate the elements, like base fare, DSC, port fees/taxes, grats, etc before they refund them. That is for the accounting.

When our cruise in Feb was shortened by 3 days we got the 3 days refund in separate transactions over several days. DSC, port fee/taxes, base fare, insurance, grats.

15 minutes ago, cruiser4801 said:

Yes, but others like AMEX Platinum have credited their customers' accounts and charged the cruises back to NCL and the other companies.  There are lessons to be learned by everyone's actions.

You might want NOT to sail on other lines as well ... NCL isn't the only one. 😷

6 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

So what? At least you got some refunds now and you'll be getting the rest in due time. NCL has to separate the elements, like base fare, DSC, port fees/taxes, grats, etc before they refund them. That is for the accounting.

Let's just get this straight for the record. The delay is not due to the need  "NCL has to separate the elements." It's pure greed. They have your money for a service they failed to provide. They will not give it back until they have to.

• Like 2

BYE

Questions - Just to clarify - For those that have requested a cash refund NCL is processing their port-charges/pre paid  part of the cash refund and waiting until a later date to refund the rest of the cash?

Edited by apple314

Just FYI to all, I am now at the 93 day mark and no refund, so if you haven't reached the 90-day mark yet, be prepared it could take longer. I actually cancelled on March 4th, prior to the 90-day policy. My refund was supposed to be 7-10 business days. Just got off the phone with the exec desk and all they could tell me was refunds are taking a little longer than 90 days. SMH.

I received two refunds for different amounts round about NZD 150 to my credit card.   I have asked what they were for but I have not yet found out why.

If they were for Port Charges on the two Spirit cruises my wife and I were on they amount to about USD4 each per missed port!!!    No sign of the refund for the DSC for the second, wholly cancelled Spirit cruise.

21 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Sorry that you did not understand how things were going to work. The refund of the port charges was automatic.

Port charges were not refunded automatically. Nor were prepaid beverage charges. Thankfully Visa issued me a temporary credit for said items which has now become permanent due to NCLs lack of response. Only thing left is for NCL to add me to the Do Not Sail list for not agreeing to their ridiculous refund policies during a time of pandemic.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 9:30 AM, cruiser4801 said:

Yep. NCL cancelled my April 4 cruise, I filled out he refund form the first day it was available, and with no refund or status updates as of early June, I decided to call Amex. I had my money back within ten minutes of making the phone call. I should have done it sooner. I understand that NCL needs to look out for their cash flow, but I don’t owe them an interest-free loan for 3 months, especially after the would-have-even sail date has long passed. 

• Like 1

On 6/5/2020 at 8:04 AM, e3c1f4 said:

So do we get port charges refunded?  Sorry if this is explained somewhere.  I got a FCC for the full amount (including the port charges) plus the 25% credit.  I didn't get anything refunded, including port charges or taxes/gratuities.  No criticizing NCL, just trying to understand since what you said is different than what I thought was happening. 

If you have an FCC everything is included  

What costs are included in the future cruise credit (FCC)?

The following will be applied to the FCC:

• Cruise fare and taxes
    • Including any winning Upgrade Advantage payments.
  • Flight arrangements booked through Norwegian Cruise Line.
  • Hotel and CruiseTour packages purchased through Norwegian Cruise Line.
  • Shore Excursions booked and pre-paid through Norwegian Cruise Line
  • Prepaid service charges
  • Beverage or Dining gratuities (if part of FAS Promotion selection)
  • Essentials, Booksafe Standard or Platinum Travel Protection, if purchased.
    Booksafe Travel Protection will be issued as a separate additional FCC worth the value of the travel protection plan paid. This insurance FCC will be valid for one year from date of issuance and only applicable towards insurance for all published sailings through Dec 31, 2022?