State of Alaska requiring visitors to have negative PCR Covid-19 test

jebhoward3

The PVR Covid-19 test must be done within 72 hrs (3 days) of departure.  My DH and myself are scheduled to go on the June 26th sailing round-trip Juneau and the cruise is a go.  We are excited to go and will pay cash if need be to get the test.  My Dr. already sent the order to a local hospital lab for me to have the test done.  So I decided to phone the lab today and ask some questions.   It seems they send the test out and it takes 3 - 5 business days to get the results - so now we are past getting the results back to meet the 72 hr time frame.  We would need to take the test 7 days prior to arrival in Alaska to be sure and get results back.

On Monday I will phone our County Health Dept. and a larger local Hospital Lab to see if they say the same thing about the turn around time.  I might also phone the State of Alaska to explain the time issue and to see if there is anyway we could take the test 7 days prior to arrival in Alaska.

Our county here in Western Colorado has only had 61 positive Covid-19 cases, zero deaths, and no current hospitalizations.  We do still wear masks when going shopping and wash our hand.

We want to go on our cruise but sadly might have to cancel.

Jeb - How did you learn of this...via ACL, or otherwise?

Per the ACL website, under Boarding Practices & Pre-Cruise Medical Screening:

Medical tent with pre-boarding screening including respirations, oxygen, and temperature check. Covid-19 testing will performed as needed.

That last seems to suggest ACL might have their own expedited quick-test in mind?  Maybe all is not lost...

We received email from ACL sent on 6/4/2020 at 5:45pm informing us about the required test with a link to click on to https://covid19.alaska.gov/travelers/ for further info.  Went to a form:

STATE OF ALASKA

Department of Health & Social Services

TRAVEL DECLARATION FORM

MANDATORY DECLARATION FORM FOR INTERSTATE TRAVELERS

What a bizarre catch-22:  Takes a week for the test results, but results have to be current within the last 72 hours.  Something just does not compute.

I tried the Alaska website's "find a testing site" app for my locale in NC, and it came up with a slew of them.  Selected one at random, "CVS Health," test description said "Covid-19 only (no screening, no antibodies), appointment only, drive-up test.  Test Type:  Molecular:  Test Results:  2 to 4 days"  But their website had this:

How will I get results?

You will be tested in one of two ways. Rapid-result testing is generally returned in person within 30 minutes of specimen collection.  COVID-19 lab testing returns results within 2-4 days. We will email you the link to view your results.

So what is "rapid-result" test vs the 2-4 day test?  Who knows.  Tried to google "rapid-result testing," but no luck so far.

The Alaska website Q&A says "Testing at the airport is currently available for arriving passengers."  But in a different place they warn airport test availability is not guaranteed, and "strongly urge" getting the test done prior to arrival.  And anyway, what good does testing at the airport do since if it takes days for the results?  And ACL said they might be doing COVID-19 test for boarding passengers -- again, what good would that do if it takes days?  This suggests to me that the only answer is the "rapid-result test" that CVS mentioned.  I'll keep looking for this...

Can't believe ACL is simply telling all the Constellation passengers to just get tested.  All the passengers are facing the same challenge you are...if there is no sure-fire way around this, how can they even have the cruise?  

I phoned our local County Health Dept. and things look much brighter that we will be able to go on our cruise.    They are doing the tests Mon. - Fri., 9am - noon.  No Dr. order required, doesn't matter if no symptoms, and the test is free.   That local hospital said $372 per test.   The tests are sent to the State Lab in Denver.   Anyway they said test results within 24 - 72 hrs and usually 24 - 48 hrs.  We do need to set up an appointment but to just phone them a day or two before we want to take the test.   Ya!!!   Only possible issue is that they phone the results to you and then we will need to request results via email so as to have printed proof.

This morning we received an email from American Cruise Lines that our Alaska cruise is suspended.  They are giving us 125% in future cruise credit.  We are in the process of booking this same cruise departing on July 23, 2020, in a higher category.   I have canceled our 2 hotel nights and flights with 2 different airlines.  I am waiting until new cruise is booked to contact INS to get it switched to the new dates.

• 1 month later...
On 6/11/2020 at 11:03 AM, jebhoward3 said:

This morning we received an email from American Cruise Lines that our Alaska cruise is suspended.  They are giving us 125% in future cruise credit.  We are in the process of booking this same cruise departing on July 23, 2020, in a higher category.   I have canceled our 2 hotel nights and flights with 2 different airlines.  I am waiting until new cruise is booked to contact INS to get it switched to the new dates.

Did this cruise actually go on July 23rd?