Europe Staying Closed to USA

CPT Trips

Here’s an excerpt from “AFAR” - https://www.afar.com/magazine/europe-proposes-extending-travel-ban-until-july-1?utm_source=Sailthru&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=060720 ItalyNationalPark&utm_term=Daily Wander (Have opened newsletter before)

Germany’s Seehofer said most of the EU’s interior ministers want to extend the current entry ban on outside travelers “by 14 days until July 1.”

Visitors from the United States, Russia, or Brazil, for example, would only be allowed back into Europe based on how those nations have brought the spread of the virus under control, he said. Those three nations account for 44 percent of the world’s confirmed infections and nearly 38 percent of the world’s confirmed coronavirus deaths, according to Johns Hopkins.

Based on the numbers continuing to trend up in many states, July 1 seems early. And, if the demonstrations result in a quicker rise in infections, we’ll be personae non grata Over there for quite some time yet.

That is bad news for travellers. Understandable of course. I am shocked to read the figures, had not thought of looking at it that way.

Not sure if it is such a good idea to let in UK people either so I am somewhat glad they now have the quarantine - good deterrent, if I may say so. Means that I cannot go shopping to my favourite shops 😭 but I am not so keen on being there in this phase of the pandemic, anyway.

If others agree with Seehofer, 1 July is a good date I think, but yes, I also see the risk of that date being extended...

notamermaid

Most of the river cruise lines have cancelled their europe bookings thru end of July.  So maybe people who have Aug/Sep booked stand a chance to travel then.

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

Most of the river cruise lines have cancelled their europe bookings thru end of July.  So maybe people who have Aug/Sep booked stand a chance to travel then.

I don’t share your optimism. The social hygiene behaviors I see, and I’m in a relatively compliant area, lead me to expect that we won’t get COVID under control by then. Here’s hoping I’m wrong.

3 hours ago, AF-1 said:

US infection rate is not going down.  With the social unrest and daily protest, it will prolong it for a while.  US passengers are not going anywhere near Europe this year.  Aug/Sept is a dream at this point.  I wonder if this year is even possible.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kent9xxx1 said:

US infection rate is not going down.  With the social unrest and daily protest, it will prolong it for a while.  US passengers are not going anywhere near Europe this year.  Aug/Sept is a dream at this point.  I wonder if this year is even possible.  

That is quite direct...

It sounds a bit pessimistic, but August is certainly looking bleak. But it is a long time to go till November. Would love to talk to the cruisers here about the Christmas markets. 😃 We will also need to see how things go in Europe (Schengen countries) in June/July. Warnings all around from scientists and some politicians for the time after the "grand opening" on 15 June of most of our internal borders. We have been told that we can always go back to more restrictions again. But no-one means a lockdown, just going back a step or two. Whatever that will mean in each country.

notamermaid

Edited by notamermaid
Added words
  • Like 2

What is unknown for me at this time is where Canada sits...  We are not the US, and our numbers are much lower - but, we do share a very large border (albeit closed at this time...).   Will we be lumped in with our southern neighbours?  Or, be considered a separate entity and allowed to travel based on our response to Covid-19?

I am hoping that Avalon will allow us to delay our final payment - at least for 30 days -  in order to get a sense of where travel might be in early October. 

Fran

@franski

Canada - I was wondering that, too. Over the past week or so I have gathered the impression that Germany is looking at individual countries. Could well imagine other countries doing the same. For work purposes, that is employees and their families, have been flown by charter flight to China. They are part of German companies' workforce in that country. They have to comply with China's health measures of course. I am sure there are other examples of travel corridors and air bridges already happening.

notamermaid

45 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

@franski

Canada - I was wondering that, too. Over the past week or so I have gathered the impression that Germany is looking at individual countries. Could well imagine other countries doing the same. For work purposes, that is employees and their families, have been flown by charter flight to China. They are part of German companies' workforce in that country. They have to comply with China's health measures of course. I am sure there are other examples of travel corridors and air bridges already happening.

notamermaid

As far as I know, (and I certainly haven't seen anything to the contrary) international flights to Canada are allowed into only 4 airports in the country, and Canadians returning (or anyone else we might actually allow in - I can't think of anyone right now) must quarantine for 14 days. They have to have a plan in place that includes how they will get to the quarantine location from the airport (they are not allowed to take public transportation) and how they will be looked after in terms of food and essentials for that 14 day period. As long as that remains in place I can't see anything happening as far as opening up travel.

Personally, under these rules I can't fly anywhere even though I live in Toronto (one of the gateways) because I have no one who could pick me up at the airport on my return, and I really don't have anyone I could ask to look after my needs for 14 days. (From what I have heard, our online grocery delivery is kind of hit and miss, more miss, in terms of finding an available delivery window in the short term.)

Wow, that sounds like seriously strict rules for arrival. In the UK they just ask you not to use public transport if possible, meaning you can go on the underground from Heathrow for example.

The basic problem is the fact that a border works two ways, isn't? No matter how many countries in Europe are open to you, if your country does not go along with it and allows you back freely as a Canadian citizen, you are still stuck if the quarantine is not an option. 😞 

I wonder if the UK would let me in with a Eurotunnel day return ticket? Must find that out...

notamermaid

aljazeera.com/news/2020/06/greece-quarantines-passengers-qatar-airways-flight-200604053608071.html

Greece reopened.  Qatar flight carried a bunch of people, some tested positive on arrival.  Of course, those will be quarantined.  Those who are negative, but because they flew in the same flight, also got quarantined, albeit shorter time.  Then Greece quickly banned all upcoming Qatar flights.

So you can easily get quarantined or your flight get cancelled last minute.  USA will have more than 2 million cases by tomorrow.  It's not going to happen in Aug/Sept for anyone for sure.  

40 minutes ago, notamermaid said:

The basic problem is the fact that a border works two ways, isn't? No matter how many countries in Europe are open to you, if your country does not go along with it and allows you back freely as a Canadian citizen, you are still stuck if the quarantine is not an option. 😞 

Actually, except for getting home from the airport, and not going out for my own groceries, I'm not sure that quarantine is much different from the self-isolation that I have been working under since the beginning. Except the weather is getting nice now, so I am out a lot on my bike, which wouldn't be allowed under a real quarantine I don't think.

gnome12,

the quarantine in Germany means you have to stay in your house and garden area. My friend got really bored with his own company as he is living alone.

kent9xxx1,

that is interesting about the flight. The BBC had reported about the German flight to China that one worker had tested positive on arrival at the airport, he was feeling fine, did not even have an elevated temperature.

notamermaid

gnome12,
the quarantine in Germany means you have to stay in your house and garden area. My friend got really bored with his own company as he is living alone.

notamermaid

I too live alone, but I live in a second floor (first floor for Europeans) duplex, so I don’t have access to the garden. I went over 2 months without a real conversation with a live person. Thank goodness I’m basically an introvert or I would have gone crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

35 minutes ago, gnome12 said:

I too live alone, but I live in a second floor (first floor for Europeans) duplex, so I don’t have access to the garden. I went over 2 months without a real conversation with a live person. Thank goodness I’m basically an introvert or I would have gone crazy.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I live alone also - main floor duplex with very little yard (no garden - though I am not a gardener). I do venture to work 3 days a week but there are only a few people there (maybe 3 on my floor in a big building). I work at a college and am sort of scared what the fall brings. I can barely tolerate a mask when I go to the grocery store. Thankful for television and phone.

Edited by Coral
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Actually, except for getting home from the airport, and not going out for my own groceries, I'm not sure that quarantine is much different from the self-isolation that I have been working under since the beginning. Except the weather is getting nice now, so I am out a lot on my bike, which wouldn't be allowed under a real quarantine I don't think.

In the US, quarantine wouldn't be any different from self-isolation:  we would go out for groceries, because who's going to know you're supposed to be under quarantine?  Do you have to wear a scarlet 'A' [for 'lack of proven antibodies'] on your dress?

46 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

In the US, quarantine wouldn't be any different from self-isolation:  we would go out for groceries, because who's going to know you're supposed to be under quarantine?  Do you have to wear a scarlet 'A' [for 'lack of proven antibodies'] on your dress?

Sorry, if I were officially under quarantine I would not be doing my own shopping. That is very dangerous to others until you are sure that you aren't contagious. Since I'm pretty sure that I haven't been exposed (the only time I'm closer than 6 ft to anyone is on my once a week trip to the grocery and I have been wearing a mask for the last few weeks) I'm not a risk to others. If I was in quarantine, the reason is because I might be a risk to others, and so I wouldn't go out.

• Like 5

In Canada quarantine means just that.  You are allowed to be in your own yard if you have one, otherwise you have to remain in your house.  You have to show that you have enough groceries for the full 14 days, and are not allowed to go out.  Yeah, I know some people would, however you are taking the risk that you could pass Covid-19 onto others (and they will find out, as they do contact tracing), and also that some nosy neighbour or such will call the "snitch line".  We had a case in New Brunswick where a Dr. went to Quebec to pick up his child as the Mother had to fly overseas.  He returned back and didn't follow the 14 day quarantine, and NB went from 0 active cases to several, and their first death.  Even for those who have cottages in the eastern Provinces, you have to apply to the government to access them, and show your quarantine plan, and have someone confirm that you will have food etc. supplied in your cottage for your arrival.  While our Federal Government may be a bit edging towards easing up, the Provinces have the ultimate control over themselves, and they are (in general) really being cautious.  

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Daisi said:

In Canada quarantine means just that.  You are allowed to be in your own yard if you have one, otherwise you have to remain in your house.  You have to show that you have enough groceries for the full 14 days, and are not allowed to go out.  Yeah, I know some people would, however you are taking the risk that you could pass Covid-19 onto others (and they will find out, as they do contact tracing), and also that some nosy neighbour or such will call the "snitch line".  We had a case in New Brunswick where a Dr. went to Quebec to pick up his child as the Mother had to fly overseas.  He returned back and didn't follow the 14 day quarantine, and NB went from 0 active cases to several, and their first death.  Even for those who have cottages in the eastern Provinces, you have to apply to the government to access them, and show your quarantine plan, and have someone confirm that you will have food etc. supplied in your cottage for your arrival.  While our Federal Government may be a bit edging towards easing up, the Provinces have the ultimate control over themselves, and they are (in general) really being cautious.  

We live in New York and have friends who have a cottage in Ontario.  Would they have to apply to the government for permission and quarantine once the border is open?  Doesn't look like the border will be open anytime soon....

13 minutes ago, KathyK13 said:

We live in New York and have friends who have a cottage in Ontario.  Would they have to apply to the government for permission and quarantine once the border is open?  Doesn't look like the border will be open anytime soon....

Currently, the border is closed to non-essential travel until at least June 21.  I wouldn’t speculate on whether tha5 will be extended and what rules will be in place for cross-border travel if permitted.  Doesn’t make a lot of sense to open the border the  tell people they’ll need to hole up for 14 days to start their visit.

52 minutes ago, KathyK13 said:

Not right now Kathy, they are letting in immediate family only for cross border visits, however they still have to quarantine and must stay for over 15 days. Some parts of Ontario aren't open yet either.