Europe Staying Closed to USA

CPT Trips

2 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Now that it is official from which countries visitors to the EU will be allowed in this first pronouncement (Algeria, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, Serbia, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia and Uruguay), how many of those countries still have global travel advisories? I know we in Canada do.

Not an official bulletin yet, but media in Germany report exactly the same as the state of the proceedings. In German: https://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausland/corona-pandemie-eu-will-einreisesperren-fuer-viele-laender-erhalten-a-84c83be9-4322-4fd1-b35e-085d5dfbec8c

Source?

I can’t remember where I first saw it, but here is one from New Zealand

https://www.newshub.co.nz/home/travel/2020/06/coronavirus-eu-to-allow-in-visitors-from-14-covid-19-safe-countries-including-new-zealand.html

I also found it on BBC News but can’t copy a link from the app. This one says the list is still likely to be amended.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

5 hours ago, gnome12 said:

Now that it is official from which countries visitors to the EU will be allowed in this first pronouncement (Algeria, Australia, Canada, Georgia, Japan, Montenegro, Morocco, New Zealand, Rwanda, Serbia, South Korea, Thailand, Tunisia and Uruguay), how many of those countries still have global travel advisories? I know we in Canada do.

And, there is also a statement about avoiding all travel on cruise ships.  Although I am sure this is in relation to the large/ocean ships - there is no specification about the size of the boat.  

This is important for us - due to our travel insurance. We have yet to make our final payment (Avalon has delayed our final payment until 30 days out...) - but, if this travel advisory remains in effect at the time we are to make our final payment - then our insurance carrier has been quite clear that our policy will not cover us.  They will allow us to cancel - and will cover the costs - as everything was booked before Covid hit. 

Not feeling really confident our cruise will proceed -  Avalon has cancelled all cruises through September 30th - and our trip starts October 3rd...  Not much to to at this point but wait and see what unfolds.

Fran 

2 minutes ago, franski said:

Not feeling really confident our cruise will proceed -  Avalon has cancelled all cruises through September 30th - and our trip starts October 3rd...  Not much to to at this point but wait and see what unfolds.

Fran 

I have been advising for the past 4 months:  wait and let Avalon cancel; you will be in a better position then.  If your insurance covers you now, it will then; but Avalon may offer a sweetener to push your cruise forward (and save your insurance payment to cover than new cruise).

10 minutes ago, Host Jazzbeau said:

I have been advising for the past 4 months:  wait and let Avalon cancel; you will be in a better position then.  If your insurance covers you now, it will then; but Avalon may offer a sweetener to push your cruise forward (and save your insurance payment to cover than new cruise).

Avalon is offering a small sweetener - about $200/pp - to rebook.  But our insurance carrier is very clear that they will not cover any travel booked during the time of the travel advisory.  So, if this trip is cancelled - either by us or Avalon - we will have to wait until the advisories are lifted before booking anything else.   Not ideal, but it is what it is. 

We have a really good annual plan.  For what I have paid in the past for insurance for 1 trip, I have coverage for any number of trips per year - up to 31 days for each trip.  I just have to be back in the province for 1 day to reset the counter.  Cancellation/interruption amount is good ($8k/pp/trip) with $2m medical coverage. If the only frustration is not being able to book during a travel advisory - I can live with that.   I do like having the flexibility of being able to "just go" anytime - especially now that I am retired.  And, one of my best friends lives in KY - so we can just jump in the car and go to visit whenever the mood hits us (when the border is open, of course....)

I am a planner - always have been... So sitting and waiting is frustrating for me.  Also - there are some awesome deals for next year - if our cruise is cancelled ... but I can't jump at this time.  Oh well... lots of time to research/plan/dream!!

Fran   

It is great news that they will let Australians in, but we aren't allowed to get out!  Also I live in State of Victoria, which is now getting a whole new lot of cases unfortunately.  Most of the other states have their borders closed against us, so I am not sure if Victorians would be let in.  Having said that, we are getting 60-70 cases a day, so nothing like what is still happening in Europe and the US.

Our foreign office has a travel advisory against cruises. Exempt are river cruises within the Schengen (and the affiliates) states where a hygiene regime is in place. I hope your own countries look into this and make distinction. The problem is always the plane journey to the destination, of course. And I do not have much hope of the US making it into the "good countries" final list today. The list will be reviewed every two weeks.

djh1959, sorry to hear about Victoria. Hope things get better.

notamermaid

And here is the official document by the EU Commission: https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-9208-2020-INIT/en/pdf

Please note, the EU COM gives recommendations only, the final decision is left to the member states. But they are likely to follow the recommendations. The list of countries did not change since earlier media reports have been reported here. The list will be revised every two weeks.

16 hours ago, Roz said:

Unfortunately I think you're right.

I saw your quote in that article.  Hopeful that things open us by the end of this year.  That will give me hope for next year.

• Like 2

Thanks for your good wishes Notamermaid.  Unfortunately things are not getting better, but quite a lot worse.  We have now had three days in a row of 60-70 new cases per day, when only a few weeks ago we had zero.  It is definitely a message to everyone that it is certainly not over and you can never be too careful.

Now ten of our northeast suburbs are back in total lockdown for at least four weeks, and if things do not improve, the will lock down more of the city.

It is very sad and depressing, and I simply cannot see how travel will open up anytime soon for us.

On 6/8/2020 at 9:30 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

In the US, quarantine wouldn't be any different from self-isolation:  we would go out for groceries, because who's going to know you're supposed to be under quarantine?  Do you have to wear a scarlet 'A' [for 'lack of proven antibodies'] on your dress?

I can’t believe a HOST would post such an irresponsible post.  This attitude is EXACTLY why the U.S. has such high rates of infection.

• Like 3

On 7/2/2020 at 3:13 AM, djh1959 said:

Thanks for your good wishes Notamermaid.  Unfortunately things are not getting better, but quite a lot worse.  We have now had three days in a row of 60-70 new cases per day, when only a few weeks ago we had zero.  It is definitely a message to everyone that it is certainly not over and you can never be too careful.

Now ten of our northeast suburbs are back in total lockdown for at least four weeks, and if things do not improve, the will lock down more of the city.

It is very sad and depressing, and I simply cannot see how travel will open up anytime soon for us.

I think this is what we have to do in the US. At the rate we are going, it does not look good.

• Like 1

@djh1959 Depressing, yes, fully understand that. Have read the news.

@Coral I am getting really worried about you people over there.

In Europe here to protect ourselves I think we have no option but to keep our borders closed to air travel from the US and a few other countries in particular. On the surface things look good in the EU, but the recent outbreak near Barcelona shows how quickly things can turn. The area around Barcelona is also popular with Germans but our main holiday makers go to Mallorca when they fly to Spain. The worry that this can get out of hand again is there.

notamermaid

1 hour ago, notamermaid said:

@Coral I am getting really worried about you people over there.

I work at a University - we are planning on having students back on campus mid-August. A lot of our rise in cases in the US (and my area) deal with a younger demographic (those under 40). 

Right now my state is one of the better ones but yesterday, my city had 47 new cases. It just seems like last week we had days with 15 new cases.

I am worried that if we don't do something drastic, we will lose our fight.

35 minutes ago, Coral said:

I work at a University - we are planning on having students back on campus mid-August. A lot of our rise in cases in the US (and my area) deal with a younger demographic (those under 40). 

Right now my state is one of the better ones but yesterday, my city had 47 new cases. It just seems like last week we had days with 15 new cases.

I am worried that if we don't do something drastic, we will lose our fight.

Where do you live?  We are all worried about losing the fight (well, most of us are worried)........

I am in Florida..........😧☹️

24 minutes ago, Lois R said:

Where do you live?  We are all worried about losing the fight (well, most of us are worried)........

I am in Florida..........😧☹️

Lincoln, Nebraska. 

Edited by Coral

On 6/8/2020 at 9:30 PM, Host Jazzbeau said:

In the US, quarantine wouldn't be any different from self-isolation:  we would go out for groceries, because who's going to know you're supposed to be under quarantine?  Do you have to wear a scarlet 'A' [for 'lack of proven antibodies'] on your dress?

10 hours ago, Senga said:

I can’t believe a HOST would post such an irresponsible post.  This attitude is EXACTLY why the U.S. has such high rates of infection.

My post contained two types of prose: a statement of fact [about how Americans react when we are told what to do – amply proved by developments since June 8] and a joke about the lack of enforcement.  Neither was a suggestion about how people should act.  Sorry if that wasn't clear.  Humo(u)r clearly doesn't travel across borders.  😉

• Like 3