Scooters on board a cruise ship

Pawkat

Basically yes, you need your own scooter, or rent one, and really you need an accessible cabin, some scooters fit through the door of aa standard cabin, not many, and it is very tight in the cabin even then.

You didn't mention which cruise line, but I doubt it really matters. Mobility equipment of all kinds is allowed on the ships.

And if you happen to be sailing Holland America, they'll be everywhere... Lol!

Edited by KroozNut

I did get accessible cabins for both cruises but I h as be reading that the ships are redesigning so that people will not be to close to each other and I was wondering if the Hall ways will be made small or stay the same size for using a rented scooter

1 minute ago, Pawkat said:

I did get accessible cabins for both cruises but I h as be reading that the ships are redesigning so that people will not be to close to each other and I was wondering if the Hall ways will be made small or stay the same size for using a rented scooter

Can’t see the going to the expense of rebuilding hall ways, besides they know that a large proportion of their customers use mobility accessories of some type.

• Like 1

What cruise line are you going to be on?  

I'm sure the hallways will not be enlarged; however, my husband rents a scooter on all our cruises and he has never had any problem getting through the hallways.   Sometimes we have to nudge a cleaning cart over a bit but there is really no issue.

• 1 month later...
On 6/9/2020 at 9:10 AM, kokopelli-az said:

What cruise line are you going to be on?  

I'm sure the hallways will not be enlarged; however, my husband rents a scooter on all our cruises and he has never had any problem getting through the hallways.   Sometimes we have to nudge a cleaning cart over a bit but there is really no issue.

You forgot to mention the  need to dodge dirty dishes left in the hallways.  BTW: It's also against the law to do this.  SOLAS

Yes. Of course!  You must first fill out a SOLAS Form SOL 4875639462, in triplicate.  Submit it to the regional SOLAS office and get approval to remove the dishes.  If you don't do this or do not get preapproval, you are subject to 15 years imprisonment and a fine of $50,000 (US).

If you are one who chooses to disregard and place dishes in the hallway, please bear in mind that you are endangering other's lives in case there is an emergency evacuation.  Imagine an evacuation crowd tripping over your dishes and falling on broken glass.

PLEASE BE CONSIDERATE!  Tnis is not a part of a joke.

10 hours ago, Bloodgem said:

I'm surprised that no one has mention that the scooter should not be left in the hallway.

You are absolutely correct; however, we have seen scooters illegally parked in the hallways several times.

The first photo was on the Allure of the Seas and the second photo was on the Celebrity Equinox.  Not to mention, we walked past the Equinox scooter and wheelchair parked in the hall on a daily basis.  And this was in a Penthouse Suite, room 1616.  One would think there would be sufficient room in the Penthouse for these mobility devices . . .

Scooter in hallway allure (2).jpg

Someone in a big fat suite 1616 is very naughty with their wheelchair and scooter (2) (800x590).jpg

12 hours ago, KroozNut said:

Those scooter parkings are simply rude and inconsiderate. I'll never understand why people do it. It's all about them I suppose..😏

In some cases it could be 'all about them ' but with others I think it's a lack of understanding or situational awareness.

We were on Independence of the Seas and every afternoon, between 2-3pm, a scooter would be left outside a cabin. This cabin was several cabins away from ours and we had to pass this cabin to get to the elevator. This happen for about 4/5 days. As we could just about get pass, with our wheelchair, we did not bother to report them. 

One afternoon they were parking the scooter when we came out of our cabin. The couple apologised for blocking the passageway. They had not seen another scooter/wheelchair user on that deck and had assumed it would be ok to leave their scooter out. 

They  did not leave the scooter out again.

On 7/25/2020 at 10:27 AM, Bloodgem said:

I'm surprised that no one has mention that the scooter should not be left in the hallway.

and also, scooter users should be careful about running into people,  using the scooter as a battering ram to get to the head of lines, etc.

On 8/4/2020 at 7:47 AM, crazyank said:

and also, scooter users should be careful about running into people,  using the scooter as a battering ram to get to the head of lines, etc.

I have experienced nearly being hit by a scooter several times but I have also witnessed people suddenly stopping in front of a scooter or trying to cross in front of a scooter.   

52 minutes ago, Bloodgem said:

I have experienced nearly being hit by a scooter several times but I have also witnessed people suddenly stopping in front of a scooter or trying to cross in front of a scooter.   

yes, we have seen people do both as well as blocking a scooter at the elevators.  In our case a scooter user caused serious injury (broken bones in foot)  that required two operations and months of physio. Most scooter users are considerate of the people around them.  A small minority are rude and dangerous.

• Like 1

Believe me, most scooter users try to be as careful as possible, but when people step in front of a scooter they don't realize that scooters don't stop on a dime.   Worst place ever was in New York.  I even tried to walk in front of my husband on his scooter to "part the waters" and when someone stepped right in front of me, I got run into (by my husband).  Almost ruined our entire vacation since I was injured and was black and blue for weeks after.

Yes, scooters are mini vehicles and it is important for both the driver and pedestrians to be aware.

• Like 1

I wouldnt tolerate it. I mean I understand that there are many people (and young people especially) who are actively using electric scooters, monowheels and other similar stuff (including electric bikes) but the ship isnt the right place for it. I mean unless they manage to make safe bike lanes it may be considered but in all other cases it will only make other passengers feel limited 

9 hours ago, Roger88 said:

I wouldnt tolerate it. I mean I understand that there are many people (and young people especially) who are actively using electric scooters, monowheels and other similar stuff (including electric bikes) but the ship isnt the right place for it. I mean unless they manage to make safe bike lanes it may be considered but in all other cases it will only make other passengers feel limited 

I think you have misunderstood the OP.  this thread is about disabled people using scooters for mobility.

• Like 7

11 hours ago, xelem3 said:

Are small scooters allowed on river cruise ships 

If you are talking about a small mobility scooter, the answer is maybe.   Are you thinking about a river boat cruise in the United States or Europe?   Are you going to be using the scooter while on the river boat, on shore, or both?

I would research the different river boat cruise lines and pick out a couple, or a few, that you like.  Then contact the cruise line and ask them specifically.   How and where you plan on using the scooter is key.  

If you plan on using a scooter while on the boat, river boats sailing US waters must be compliant with ADA regulations.  

But again, I would contact the cruise line(s) you are considering and ask your question.

https://spintheglobe.net/dir/2019/08/04/river-cruises-wheelchair-users/

Edited by kokopelli-az

From experience, scooters on river cruises in Europe don’t really do well. Most riverboats have elevators that don’t go up to every floor, so you’re restricted. The other problem is that with so many boats on the rivers, you’ll find as many as four boats tied together, and in order to get to the shore, you’ll have to go up ramps or navigate steps to cross over the other boats.  Then, once you get on land, you might find steps or unpaved walkways to take you up to street level.  Personally, I believe that if you’re pretty much a full time scooter user, European riverboat cruises might not be the best idea.  

On 6/7/2020 at 10:21 PM, Pawkat said:

They are not changing the ship design, they are working on traffic flow and things like that.