Labadee Help

elaineb

Hello - we will be going to Labadee for the first time next June.  I cannot be in the sun - I have had 4 basal cell surgeries.  I love the beach, however, but need absolute shade.  Here and there I will take a dip, but then need to return to cover.  We also would like quiet, calm water, and access to the food area.  What area would you recommend and what type of shelter is available?  

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

I can't speak for Labadee, but I have had bc surgery also. The real issue with those is the damage you see was caused from many years before. Being in the sun is still good. Just cover up, SPF what isn't and wear a good hat. That is what I do. I do get the shade thing. 

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
On 6/8/2020 at 2:06 PM, elaineb said:

Hello - we will be going to Labadee for the first time next June.  I cannot be in the sun - I have had 4 basal cell surgeries.  I love the beach, however, but need absolute shade.  Here and there I will take a dip, but then need to return to cover.  We also would like quiet, calm water, and access to the food area.  What area would you recommend and what type of shelter is available?  

Thanks!

My husband also cannot take the sun due to Basal Cell surgeries and last year actually had a very small melanoma in situ which is  fine and didn't spread.  We wear coolibar jackets, hats and swimsuits and loads of sun block.  We always take a cabana.  They are a must for us and worth the money on Ladadee or CocoCay.  

I do not get how people still sit in direct sun.  It is so dangerous.

Edited by Cruise a holic
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
On 9/5/2021 at 12:29 PM, MississippiMom said:

Any idea if there are cabanas on Labadee that might be handicap accessible?  I would like to have shade for my parents, but getting them up/down those steps all day might be a challenge.

Instead of the cabanas, rent a beach bungalow.  Less expensive and accessible.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Peak city said:

Instead of the cabanas, rent a beach bungalow.  Less expensive and accessible.

Depends on your definition of "accessible".  

They are on sand, and there is a small step up to get inside.  So someone with a cane or walker would be able to do it, but not a wheelchair.

• 5 weeks later...

We have a NESO tent ( https://www.neso.com/collections/tents ) and use that for sun shade. We typically use the supplied / rented loungers, but we prefer the square Nest tent as opposed to the smaller round umbrella available at most beaches. The NESO tents are square so our entire loungers fit under the tent. They fit into our suitcase (19", and really take only a couple of minutes to set up (Videos available on the web site).  Good UPF 50+, I was just looking at there web-site and the Grande are on sale - no I do not work for them or in any capacity. I would probably get the Grande to provide a bit more under cover room. 

They hold well in the wind, and to tend to...deter...encroachment, but do take up more beach space - so we tend to set-up away from the crowds (not a bad thing).

Edited by RGEDad

• 3 months later...

@MississippiMom This information maybe too late for you but there are two wheelchair accessible Cabanas at Nellie's with a ramp instead of stairs. They also have beach wheelchairs which they will help your mom ride in from the ship to the cabana and any where else she wants to go. 

• Thanks 1

On 2/22/2022 at 4:41 PM, JSR said:

@MississippiMom This information maybe too late for you but there are two wheelchair accessible Cabanas at Nellie's with a ramp instead of stairs. They also have beach wheelchairs which they will help your mom ride in from the ship to the cabana and any where else she wants to go. 

Not too late at all.  We sail in June 2022.  This information is greatly appreciated.