Question about the "Risk Free 1 Guarantee"

OnTheJourney

The Viking agent we have been using recently sent me this. A key question I have about this pertains to the one statement - 

• Guests will have 24 months to select their new date and use their Risk-Free Guarantee Future Cruise Voucher 

So my question is - does this mean the actual date of travel must fall within the 2-year timeframe or just the booking, i.e. let's say I decide not to go on our upcoming January cruise. In that event, with this guarantee, must I travel on or before January 2023, or can I book by then for a cruise later in '23? And if so, what's the timeline on completing the travel?  The agent seemed to suggest that the actual trip could extend beyond the 24-month timeframe, but I'd say the operant word appears to be "use", which would seem to indicate that the rescheduled trip must be booked AND taken within 2 years. 

Anyone know for sure? The answer could determine whether I want to go solely with this policy or else insure the value of the January cruise on a separate trip cancellation policy that provides for (75% refund) on a CFAR clause.

I was not aware of this until several questions came up regarding the January trip, and he referred me to this policy. I already have Viking vouchers that need to be used by (I think) 2024 and so don't want to lock myself into having to fit in too many Viking cruises since we have other trips we're considering as well. 

Edited by OnTheJourney

H...thanks. This makes it more appealing for the circumstances I'm possibly dealing with. Any idea, then, what the timeframe is within which you must book the actual travel date??  

I assume that, with these vouchers, it's not the sort of thing that you can keep pushing off indefinitely? 

Edited by OnTheJourney

4 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

The Viking agent we have been using recently sent me this. A key question I have about this pertains to the one statement - 

• Guests will have 24 months to select their new date and use their Risk-Free Guarantee Future Cruise Voucher 

So my question is - does this mean the actual date of travel must fall within the 2-year timeframe or just the booking, i.e. let's say I decide not to go on our upcoming January cruise. In that event, with this guarantee, must I travel on or before January 2023, or can I book by then for a cruise later in '23? And if so, what's the timeline on completing the travel?  The agent seemed to suggest that the actual trip could extend beyond the 24-month timeframe, but I'd say the operant word appears to be "use", which would seem to indicate that the rescheduled trip must be booked AND taken within 2 years. 

Anyone know for sure? The answer could determine whether I want to go solely with this policy or else insure the value of the January cruise on a separate trip cancellation policy that provides for (75% refund) on a CFAR clause.

I was not aware of this until several questions came up regarding the January trip, and he referred me to this policy. I already have Viking vouchers that need to be used by (I think) 2024 and so don't want to lock myself into having to fit in too many Viking cruises since we have other trips we're considering as well. 

HYou could always ask eight different Viking reps ----- and get eight different answers.

• Like 2

Well, yeah, but that doesn't do me any good and also doesn't make sense. There should be a definitive answer, or otherwise their policy would appear to be one where they can do whatever they want depending on the circumstances. 

The voucher is used when you book the trip not when you travel.   You can travel later than the two years but you need to book your trip and therefore use the voucher before the two years.  I disagree with Duquephart on this - if you ask eight different Viking Reps on this issue, they will all give you the same answer.   There are other questions that you can ask where you might get different answers but not this one.

We received the same response as Dukefan, we had 2-years to book a cruise from the date of issue. If no cruise booked by then they issue a cash refund of the original amount. Theoretically we could book a cruise in 2022 and sail in 2024.

D and H...thanks!  Interesting. I didn't think a cash refund was any sort of option. Andy...you were told this by Viking? Some people, knowing they'd get their money back eventually, would just delay on it and wait for that. 

Any thoughts on whether or not air costs can be tied into this - being that (as I mentioned in another thread) my air will not have been booked before 4/30/20? I could see where air that was booked as part of a cruise booked before that date would be added to the total value of the voucher, but what about air booked within the next few months?  

Edited by OnTheJourney

9 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

We received the same response as Dukefan, we had 2-years to book a cruise from the date of issue. If no cruise booked by then they issue a cash refund of the original amount. Theoretically we could book a cruise in 2022 and sail in 2024.

I believe you might have the Viking cancellation Future Cruise Credit Voucher that is issued when Viking cancels a cruise mixed up with the Future Cruise Credit Voucher issued under the "Risk-Free Guarantee"  Program.   With both vouchers you just need to apply them to a cruise by the expiration date  but the trip can be beyond the expiration date.    With the voucher issued when Viking cancels the trip, you get a cash refund after the expiration date if you don't use it. With the Risk-Free Guarantee Voucher you are not given the cash refund.  Both vouchers are fully transferable so if you can't use it, there is a chance you could sell it.  We have one of each of these two types of vouchers.   A Risk-Free Voucher for a Mediterranean Cruise we canceled this year and one for an Alaska Cruise Viking canceled this year.  We have used one of them for an upcoming Mediterranean Cruise in the Spring of 2022.

Edited by Dukefan
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, OnTheJourney said:

D and H...thanks!  Interesting. I didn't think a cash refund was any sort of option. Andy...you were told this by Viking? Some people, knowing they'd get their money back eventually, would just delay on it and wait for that. 

Any thoughts on whether or not air costs can be tied into this - being that (as I mentioned in another thread) my air will not have been booked before 4/30/20? I could see where air that was booked as part of a cruise booked before that date would be added to the total value of the voucher, but what about air booked within the next few months?  

Apologies, my mistake, as I didn't notice the thread title or read further back in the discussion.

We don't have any vouchers where we cancel a cruise, just FCV for parts of the WC that were cancelled by Viking. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Heidi13 said:

Apologies, my mistake, as I didn't notice the thread title or read further back in the discussion.

We don't have any vouchers where we cancel a cruise, just FCV for parts of the WC that were cancelled by Viking. 

Andy...no apologies needed!  I appreciate your input. 

Stay safe.....😷

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dukefan said:

I believe you might have the Viking cancellation Future Cruise Credit Voucher that is issued when Viking cancels a cruise mixed up with the Future Cruise Credit Voucher issued under the "Risk-Free Guarantee"  Program.   With both vouchers you just need to apply them to a cruise by the expiration date  but the trip can be beyond the expiration date.    With the voucher issued when Viking cancels the trip, you get a cash refund after the expiration date if you don't use it. With the Risk-Free Guarantee Voucher you are not given the cash refund.  Both vouchers are fully transferable so if you can't use it, there is a chance you could sell it.  We have one of each of these two types of vouchers.   A Risk-Free Voucher for a Mediterranean Cruise we canceled this year and one for an Alaska Cruise Viking canceled this year.  We have used one of them for an upcoming Mediterranean Cruise in the Spring of 2022.

This is EXACTLY as I understand it - thanks for articulating so well. There are some situations that arise when a cruise paid for with a voucher is cancelled by the cruiser. I am doing this with a Risk Free and so far, so good.

8 hours ago, Dukefan said:

Both vouchers are fully transferable so if you can't use it, there is a chance you could sell it.  

D...thanks for further clarification. Most interesting that you mention the possibility of "selling" a voucher. How does that work?! Are there actually something like eBay listings for a cruise voucher?  lol....

9 hours ago, Dukefan said:

Dukefan -

What an excellent explanation of the voucher differences.  It made it so clear!

Viking should hire you to write up something for them!!

I had no idea you could sell your voucher though.  That brings up all kinds of possibilities.  I wonder what the forum would be for that kind of transaction - and for the buyer side, wondering if there is a site we Viking fans could look at to see who is selling what vouchers??  Where there are sellers, there will be buyers!

With regard to selling your voucher, I don't believe there will be much of a market until a vaccine is found.   When and if that happens I believe some type of market will develop either through something like E bay or an enterprising Travel agency.  I thought one of the greatest things Viking did was to make the vouchers fully transferable.   As someone in there mid 70's this provides comfort that if some thing happens to me, there will be value left for my spouse. 

I have a meeting in a couple of weeks with my Estate Attorney and one of the things that I have of my list to discuss with him is adding of these Cruise Vouchers,  Airline Vouchers and Hotel Vouchers that I have accumulated during this Virus Crisis to my will so that they will not be lost should I die.  I added my mileage points for airlines and credit cards to my will several years ago on his recommendation.   He said it is not always needed but in his experience, it often helps with the transfer to a family member when another family member's passes.   He also told me that it doesn't always work but most of the time it does.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I have a question regarding "Risk-Free Guarantee". If I use my Future Cruise Credit now to book a cruise for June 2022 (125% of all monies paid to date) and subsequently decide to change to a future date (for example, June 2023), will I only get a Future Cruise Voucher with a value of monies paid? Here is the wording:

• Reservation changes under the Risk-Free Guarantee will be reimbursed in the form of a Risk-Free Guarantee Future Cruise Voucher in the amount of 100% of all monies paid to Viking.

1 hour ago, cvil88 said:

I have a question regarding "Risk-Free Guarantee". If I use my Future Cruise Credit now to book a cruise for June 2022 (125% of all monies paid to date) and subsequently decide to change to a future date (for example, June 2023), will I only get a Future Cruise Voucher with a value of monies paid? Here is the wording:

• Reservation changes under the Risk-Free Guarantee will be reimbursed in the form of a Risk-Free Guarantee Future Cruise Voucher in the amount of 100% of all monies paid to Viking.

I would think that would be the case. Prior to the most recent cancellations, Viking  let you use the 125% if booked within the next 2 years. I used my FCV to book a 2023 cruise at 125%. When another cruise was cancelled earlier this month, I had to sail  in 2021 or 2022. So I see no way Viking  would let you keep the 125% if you cancel and rebook for the next year.

2 hours ago, cvil88 said:

I would suggest that this is one of those question that Viking needs to answer for you.  Now that they have slightly changed the rules on the credits they have most recently issued, you need an answer specific to the vouchers that you hold.

Don't call Viking but email Viking at tellus@vikingcruises.com to ask your question.  Include your booking number and a phone number and ask them to call you.