Cancelled cruises

huskypup

Good morning

Not NCL related - but Cunard have just announced on UK radio news that they have suspended all cruises until 01 Nov 2020.  Who will be the next to suspend?  Should the lines just suspend until then to stop people booking then cancelling just to have it cancelled again.

1 hour ago, huskypup said:

Good morning

Not NCL related - but Cunard have just announced on UK radio news that they have suspended all cruises until 01 Nov 2020.  Who will be the next to suspend?  Should the lines just suspend until then to stop people booking then cancelling just to have it cancelled again.

The cruise lines want that revenue coming in to help support their operations until they can re-open. We all know Alaska is done for the year, but people who don't do their research are still booking them.

• Like 1

I can't see any path for the "Big Three" to be so bold as to announce a postponement of cruises that far in advance.  To do so would drastically cut their booking revenue which they want and need...even if they have to eventually issue a refund.  Carnival has laid out a plan for 5 of it's ships to return to service in August.  And while they have back peddled on the exact date (originally August 1), all eyes will be on them if they do start in August and depending on how that goes, others may follow suit...especially if the No Sail order is not extended by the CDC.

there was a document leaked on a different site that showed most ships wont resume sailing until late September/October. that document was then removed. Not sure how true it is but it is a possibility of more canceled cruises in the future

36 minutes ago, shof515 said:

there was a document leaked on a different site that showed most ships wont resume sailing until late September/October. that document was then removed. Not sure how true it is but it is a possibility of more canceled cruises in the future

I saw that document I I screen shotted it and have sent it to.my PCC.  See what answer he comes up.with.  We are booked on Breakaway and according to the document it starts resailing half way through our  13 day repositioning from NY to New Orleans.

1 hour ago, KSSS2013 said:

The cruise lines want that revenue coming in to help support their operations until they can re-open. We all know Alaska is done for the year, but people who don't do their research are still booking them.

So we're going to blame people "who don't do their research" for continuing to book cruises instead of blaming NCL for its fraudulent tactics in continuing to sell cruises they know will not go just to prop up their cash flow?   That's a bit far-fetched.

• Like 7

27 minutes ago, huskypup said:

I saw that document I I screen shotted it and have sent it to.my PCC.  See what answer he comes up.with.  We are booked on Breakaway and according to the document it starts resailing half way through our  13 day repositioning from NY to New Orleans.

I saw it as well and my take was that since there was engine info on that spreadsheet that the relaunch date listed was not so much "public" relaunch but maybe "crew" relaunch for staffing or engine maintenance purposes.  It will be interesting to see your PCC's response because it was removed from Facebook at NCL's request.  It doesn't look like information that they wanted to have made public.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, pcakes122 said:

I saw it as well and my take was that since there was engine info on that spreadsheet that the relaunch date listed was not so much "public" relaunch but maybe "crew" relaunch for staffing or engine maintenance purposes.  It will be interesting to see your PCC's response because it was removed from Facebook at NCL's request.  It doesn't look like information that they wanted to have made public.

Maybe that's why Seaman isn't posting....the schedule gets much closer to 2021, especially if the dates listed are for crew! 🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

So we're going to blame people "who don't do their research" for continuing to book cruises instead of blaming NCL for its fraudulent tactics in continuing to sell cruises they know will not go just to prop up their cash flow?   That's a bit far-fetched.

It's not fraudulent if NCL feels that ports will open early or that they can get some sort of exception, there is still a chance that things will change. I have a November cruise on Royal booked, it's still showing as active...I feel that it probably won't happen...so is Royal being fraudulent?

It's called business.

1 minute ago, pcakes122 said:

(snip).  It will be interesting to see your PCC's response because it was removed from Facebook at NCL's request.  It doesn't look like information that they wanted to have made public.

I'm guessing they probably didn't want that information out there because it would most likely be misleading to the public that sees it.   It's not unknown in these parts that someone posts something and it's taken as gospel.

Just now, KSSS2013 said:

It's not fraudulent if NCL feels that ports will open early or that they can get some sort of exception, there is still a chance that things will change.....

It's called business.

At best, I'd call it shady business!

• Like 4

Just now, KSSS2013 said:

It's not fraudulent if NCL feels that ports will open early or that they can get some sort of exception, there is still a chance that things will change. I have a November cruise on Royal booked, it's still showing as active...I feel that it probably won't happen...so is Royal being fraudulent?

It's called business.

Yes.  There is no chance that those cruises are going to go.  Canada is not going to just change its mind, and certainly not for just one cruise line.  For Alaska, New England and Hawaii cruises it is abundantly clear that the 2020 season is done and continuing to take deposits and final payments under false pretenses is just wrong.  Carnival, Princess, HAL, Disney and the lot get it.  What's NCL's excuse?

• Like 3

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

Yes.  There is no chance that those cruises are going to go.  Canada is not going to just change its mind, and certainly not for just one cruise line.  For Alaska, New England and Hawaii cruises it is abundantly clear that the 2020 season is done and continuing to take deposits and final payments under false pretenses is just wrong.  Carnival, Princess, HAL, Disney and the lot get it.  What's NCL's excuse?

They are doing what they can. You certainly can have your opinion and please vote with you wallet if you don't agree with their business choices. There are plenty of other cruise lines out there. I'm not exclusive to NCL by any means.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, pcakes122 said:

I think that is the date they plan to start public sailing.  For instance the NCL Jade repositions to Tampa and the first Tampa sailing really is scheduled for November 22.  We leave on the Jade January 3, 2021 so I did some research to see when it would start from Tampa to se if we would be in the roll-out.  So this seems like the real dates not just crew start up.  But it remains to be seen of course.

42 minutes ago, TSUmom said:

I see my Jewel cruise that I am waiting to be canceled.

So glad you posted this, I saw it last night too. I couldn't remember which group when I went to actually look at it this morning.

1 hour ago, sykimball1498 said:

I think that is the date they plan to start public sailing.  For instance the NCL Jade repositions to Tampa and the first Tampa sailing really is scheduled for November 22.  We leave on the Jade January 3, 2021 so I did some research to see when it would start from Tampa to se if we would be in the roll-out.  So this seems like the real dates not just crew start up.  But it remains to be seen of course.

If it's the start up date then Breakaway will/should be in the middle of its 13 day repositioning from NY to New Orleans.   

Still no reply from PCC though.

1 hour ago, sykimball1498 said:

I agree with your view that the 're-launch' dates are the dates that the ships resume public sailings.  As you point out, the 're-launch' dates correspond to existing sailing dates. 

If this is a true picture of when public sailing resumes, then it can be deduced that there is no chance of any of what remains of the summer 2020 Europe season happening.  Furthermore, it looks like there will be no westbound Transatlantic sailings to the US either, as the stated re-launch dates correspond to the initial sailing dates for those particular vessels at the beginning of the North American winter season.  The only Transatlantic sailing with a chance of going ahead looks like it's going to be the Star sailing from Lisbon to Buenos Airies.  (Incidentally, I think there is a typo in the document - the relaunch date for the Star should be 29 Nov 20, and not 29 Nov 21). The re-launch date for the Star would seem to rule out any Europe sailings prior to the Transatlantic sailing out of Lisbon on 29 Nov 20.

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, huskypup said:

If it's the start up date then Breakaway will/should be in the middle of its 13 day repositioning from NY to New Orleans.   

Still no reply from PCC though.

True, but I seriously doubt any sailings will happen from NY until next Spring.  Maybe they will do a shorter cruise from NOLA prior to the start of the next cruise.  Sorry, just noticed Encore is NY sailing to Bermuda so I am probably wrong in my previous sentence...lol.

You probably won't get a reply as this was not to be public information it seems, although I would think NCL would want to share as soonas they have it ironed out.

I think the delay is because they have not yet cancelled the  dates for Alaska, Canada/NE cruises and the EU region cruises.  I think they have to play catch up with all the refunds/FCC and will next cancel the Canada and Alaska  sailing with EU sailings being last.  If they were to cancel all at the same time it probably would take even longer for the FCC or refunds to be processed.

Edited by sykimball1498
  • Like 2

43 minutes ago, huskypup said:

i don`t think the Breakaway will do this repositioning cruise. She is still in France of scrubber installation. i do have extreme doubts that any cruises from NYC will take place during the next four months.So i assume that they will park the breakaway somewhere and will send her directly to NOLA and start the 7-day cruises end of this year or beginning of next year. I don`t think it makes sense to send her to NYC just to load passengers and then do the repositioning.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, CruiseMH said:

i don`t think the Breakaway will do this repositioning cruise. She is still in France of scrubber installation. i do have extreme doubts that any cruises from NYC will take place during the next four months.So i assume that they will park the breakaway somewhere and will send her directly to NOLA and start the 7-day cruises end of this year or beginning of next year. I don`t think it makes sense to send her to NYC just to load passengers and then do the repositioning.

That's what we think so looking at moving cruise to Getaway out of Miami in Jan doing a 5 day and 7 day back to back.  My flights are non refundable but I can pay £200 to move them to January.