Windstar Promotions

sportsfather

Good Morning,

My wife and I are fans of Windstar. 4 trips and I hoping for many more.  But I have a question "What is a good deal" Last week Windstar ran a promotion  (was it a good deal - for who Windstar or the customer?) Thursday sales ? What I see is Windstar trying to sell the smallest cabins at going rates. 

I understand Windstar is in a cash crunch! But don't sell it like its the best deal you will ever get don't pass it up. 

I follow this forum so i know we will get the stories about the most unbelievable deal of a life time. Windstar almost payed me to take the cruise story. So lay the deal out and we can all pick it apart fairly and honestly.

Thanks

WHAT IS A GOOD DEAL?

Three months ago the 4/29/2021 Twice theTahiti eighteen day cruise web site price for two including tax in the least expensive cabin was $13,062. I know because we were considering it. I recently got it for $6412 not including my alumni discounts. That’s my definition of a good deal. It’s not a sale technically because it’s not showing a was/is pricing comparison, it is simply a price change. The reasons  for Windstar promoting Tahiti to this extent are obvious but that’s another story. 

The Thursday deals, especially now, are often simply a realist of a regular price on a cruise that they want to promote. If you want to get the best value and you have the time, check, check, check the web site as often as possible. I find that generally speaking, the better price reductions are not promoted 

I booked Jan.14, 2021 7 day Dreams of Tahiti back in February. $4424 total incl taxes for a guarantee cabin. $300 OBC plus 2 bottles of wine. I rebooked May 21, price dropped to $3384 incl taxes for cabin 206 which is an upgrade. Now  $600 OBC plus 2 bottles of wine. That's an excellent deal.

I think that WS before this pandemic had some regular times when their prices would go down: July sales, before Christmas, the 7for 7, 90 days before a particular cruise. If they have cruises they know will sell from past years or a particular popular route ie., Greece and Tahiti very rarely will they drop considerably to be considered to be a "  good  deal".

Barrycat is absolutely watch, watch, watch.  Now it is basically a new ball game. Cruises have to be able to attract their alumni and new passengers. I do think smaller ships will have an advantage. I jumped on the Caribbean in January 2021  for 14 days $ 1999 pp, I have never seen it that low. (26 cruises)  We do not care about cabins on the Surf all basically the same. So, since we reserved immediately we got the most central cabin in the least category. I remember Tall Ships 2015, the day it advertised we jumped on it, not   cheap but we wanted to go, that cruise never became cheaper. If you really like a cruise and the price is something that is ok but you love the itinerary go for it if you can. You can always change as time goes on, if the price is reduced,  do the math because you might lose out in some benefits. If not watch and wait. Now,  I think Europe will be a watch and wait. My Malta cruise this year cancelled it was always expensive but I wanted to go. I am going but I will watch and wait now. 
Also, remember last minute air is always more but that pricing is also up in the air now. It is all new, our old stand bys have probably all changed. One thing with WS it will be happy sailing.  ( wish I had answers) 

There are several good deals right now for those who want to cruise in December including Christmas and New Year’s (not sure I am ready to book a cruise just yet) with 2 week Christmas and New Years cruise onboard the Surf for $1,599 under unadvertised Canadian Resident Special whereas these cruises would typically go for more than $3,000. Now that’s a good deal. As Barrycat mentioned, best way is to check often.  A typical price for a one week cruise in the Caribbean in lowest cabin would be $1,800-$2,000/week for regular itineraries and when on sale you would likely get to around $1,300.  Last November we took a 2 week cruise on Legend in Caribbean with an initial price around $2,599 and which came down to $1,799 which was a great deal then.  So the $1,599 2 week Christmas and New Year cruise is a really a steal. I am hoping this pricing sticks for a while

Just went to see the Windstar Canadian Special Page and there are several new cruises that were just added.  From experience, I believe the prices on this list are about as low as you will be able to get and while they may not be accessible to US residents, it can provide a benchmark.  Don’t know if I can attach URL on this forum but you cannot find it on their website so you need to type it in google to get it to pop up

Be aware that if you put a deposit down and make a booking and then you change it later to get a lower fare you will be charged $50 pp admin fee. You will still probably come out way ahead.

Misty Morning, I went on the Canadian Page indeed there are some great prices. The exchange is about 25% even with  that the prices  are US $ 400 less on some cruises and some are the same. Interesting because my husband is a Québecois but a resident in the US. Good for you. Happy Sailing.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Be aware that if you put a deposit down and make a booking and then you change it later to get a lower fare you will be charged $50 pp admin fee. You will still probably come out way ahead.

True, but in our case Windstar offset this with $50 pp onboard credit. Not sure if they routinely do this, but they did in our case. We saved a total of $950 by re-booking at a lower fare. So, a good deal indeed.

12 hours ago, Petoonya said:

@susiesan

Susie, we had the same experience Avalong did. They charged the $50pp admin fee but gave $50pp credit- saved $300 so worth the trouble.

Windstar may have done this for me also. There could be an extra $100 OBC within the $600 OBC I am receiving. Some of it is from the TA and some from Windstar. I would have preferred it to be used to reduce the cost as I have said before, it's going to be tough to spend $600 in a week since none of the OBC can be used for gratuities and I never do ship shore excursions.

1 hour ago, susiesan said:

Windstar may have done this for me also. There could be an extra $100 OBC within the $600 OBC I am receiving. Some of it is from the TA and some from Windstar. I would have preferred it to be used to reduce the cost as I have said before, it's going to be tough to spend $600 in a week since none of the OBC can be used for gratuities and I never do ship shore excursions.

Susie, I hope you spend part of your $ on the ship’s Coral Gardens excursion from Motu Mahaea Tahaa. Only way to get there is on WS and it’s not to be missed. You can also take one short run in Bruno’s all day L’ Excursion Blueu but not nearly as extensive and wonderful as the ship’s. The boat ride over is spectacular/ you see the mountains of Bora Bora. I don’t do ships tours either but was really glad I did do this one.

8 hours ago, susiesan said:

Susiesan,  Get a massage or two at the spa. That'll help chip away at the OBC.  On one trip with Windstar we had so much OBC left on the last day, that my husband bought a $600 watch in one of the onboard shops. So, if you get desperate you can always buy a watch or some jewelry. Only if you're desperate though. :-)