Places open around Christmas in San Diego

We have a Holiday cruise booked for New Years leaving the 26th out of San Diego.  I was curious if any locals or cruisers have any experience with restaurants(Gaslamp) or attractions(Balboa Park) that would be open on  Christmas Eve and Christmas.  We could fly in on the 26th, it's only an 1-1/2 hour flight, but with this crazy year we would rather go down a couple days early.

Thanks for any feedback. 

• 1 month later...

Prior to corona:   A surprising number of restaurants were open on the holidays.  I’d start internet— searching after Thanksgiving.  

For the past few years our celebration has occurred on Christmas Eve due our kids splitting time with in-laws.   So my husband and I go to Mr. A‘s for Christmas lunch.  It’s a splurge but we enjoy the view and the service.  

As for other activities, you might not have as much luck; but there are plenty of places to stroll:  Embarcadero, Seaport Village, Balboa Park, Little Italy, Coronado (there’s a ferry.).    All should be prettily decorated.  The zoo should be open.  

Of course all this is based on past experiences.   I’m enjoying my memories!

Good luck - who knows what will be happening in December. 
Lynn

Everything should be open as normal on Christmas Eve Day, meaning museums, shops, restaurants, etc. Christmas Day, if we are back to a modicum of normalcy, I think you'll find the majority of the restaurants in the Gaslamp and Little Italy open and the SD Zoo is normally open Christmas Day.

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/12/2020 at 8:09 AM, scottca075 said:

the SD Zoo is normally open Christmas Day.

The zoo was advertising a lot when we were down there two weeks ago.  The entire routine has changed for admission, reservations, and walking around.  If you want to do the zoo make sure to check their www side for rules and restrictions.  You can't just show up and expect to get in.  Gaslamp area was operating full tilt on Saturday and Sunday nights with 5th blocked off for two blocks and tables set up in the street.  It's still not as much seating as before.  When we got into town on Saturday we walked around and made a reservation for dinner just in case and did the same for Sunday night.  Monday it was dead so we just walked up and got seated.  Ate late lunch two days at the Tin Fish and it was deserted at 2:00 PM