Hawaii in December, 2020 or January 2021

cool cruiser 14107

Nobody is going to be able to predict. Hopefully, yes, but nobody can say for sure. There are many discussions around the various boards about what might be required for cruising to resume.

As we have a land trip in Hawaii scheduled for October 2020, and another for April 2021, we hope cruising will be up and around by then.

13 hours ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

what do people think are the chances of a being able to do a cruise to Hawaii (for a U.S. resident) in December or January?

The Hawaiian government is not known for moving quickly on things...at all. There is are only a handful of Covid-19 cases in the islands right now and they are only just starting to waive the 14 day quarantine for intra-island travel for people who are already there. 

They are really struggling to figure out how to reopen the islands to tourists-- namely waive the current 14 day requirement for quarantine they have. We have a bunch of family on Maui we haven't seen in months and from what they are hearing they might start waiving this for air travel maybe in July. It's currently in place through June 30th but they are hearing rumors it may be extended. 

I guess anything is possible but a Dec/Jan cruise this year might be a stretch. If I were a betting man I would say an intra island cruise like NCL offers would come back much quicker than one that originates elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

wow; I thought when 2 other trips were cancelled outside the U.S. I'd have a better chance at the U.S.! I guess not.

and you're saying July 2021!! that's a long ways away!

thanks

No, I think princeton is saying that the 14 day quarantine for visitors may extend into July 2020. I think HI will be open without a 14 day quarantine for visitors by September at the latest. But I would still take a January cruise over a December one.

The island of Maui has close to 40% unemployment now. It was 2.4% in March. Overall the state is at 22.3% and it was at 2.4% in March as well.

4 hours ago, scottca075 said:

No, I think princeton is saying that the 14 day quarantine for visitors may extend into July 2020. I think HI will be open without a 14 day quarantine for visitors by September at the latest. But I would still take a January cruise over a December one.

oh! I guess I read it too fast; and you'd take Jan over Dec because it's a better time to go weather wise? or because of all the covid stuff?  thanks

11 hours ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

oh! I guess I read it too fast; and you'd take Jan over Dec because it's a better time to go weather wise? or because of all the covid stuff?  thanks

Less crowds, more will be open, more of a chance to see whales.

17 hours ago, cool cruiser 14107 said:

I’ve traveled multiple times during this timeframe.   Humpbacks are see ( if you look 🤩).    I always have my binoculars with me.   But the water is cooler so I always use a wet suit.   My priority is being able to stay in the water for snorkeling.    It’s never a short trip as I typically spend at least 3 weeks. And the last few years-  going twice/year.     Just spectacular place with so much to see and do.    🤩

I hope to return this fall?    But totally unknown?     

18 hours ago, Silver Sweethearts said:

The Governor of Hawaii reported today (June 10th) that the 14-day quarantine for those arriving from outside the state of Hawaii will continue at least through July 31st.

I knew about the 14-day quarantine until the end of June prior to reading your comment. Thanks for the update. We would like to do a DIY land trip and island-hop in November, but who knows if it will even be possible?

I spoke to HAL rep yesterday and she said our 25 day Hawaii/Mexico cruise on November 3, 2020 is still on the schedule.    Find it strange that Hawaii is cancelled for  some months in 2021 and 2020 is still okay?   I am expecting our cruise will be cancelled and we are waiting for news.   Our final payment is due in August so hope to know before then.   Unless there is a vaccine for Covid-19 I doubt we will take the cruise.

1 hour ago, mexico8 said:

I spoke to HAL rep yesterday and she said our 25 day Hawaii/Mexico cruise on November 3, 2020 is still on the schedule.    Find it strange that Hawaii is cancelled for  some months in 2021 and 2020 is still okay?

It's possible that they are looking to see if they can make up ports elsewhere if dropping Hawaii from the schedule given that it's not a purely Hawaiian cruise. Maybe spend more time in Mexico? 

On 6/17/2020 at 1:12 PM, mexico8 said:

I spoke to HAL rep yesterday and she said our 25 day Hawaii/Mexico cruise on November 3, 2020 is still on the schedule.    Find it strange that Hawaii is cancelled for  some months in 2021 and 2020 is still okay?   I am expecting our cruise will be cancelled and we are waiting for news.   Our final payment is due in August so hope to know before then.   Unless there is a vaccine for Covid-19 I doubt we will take the cruise.

I highly doubt you are going to get any answers before your final payment.    You might just want to get ahead of the game now, and cancel-  since it's an easy refund outside of final payment.