Another Silversea cruise cancellation

wren2

Just heard my cruise on the Whisper July 18 has been cancelled.  What I do not understand that it was only on Monday that Silversea changed my return flight from Lisbon and then my TA received the cancellation 24 hours later.  This is my fifth cancellation this year. The others I understand but not this one.

Well was it really going to happen...

I'm a glass half full kind of girl but I truly believe that the European cruise itinerary is still somewhat a way away...I was booked crystal sept venice-athens  which I cancelled in April as 

1= can't imagine it would happen

2= would I be happy unless it was cruising as I'm used to...

3=stiiting around the pool deck & nobody comming for a chat on the end of lounger 

With a chilled glass of bubbles 🍾 

No I will wait 😊..

I will stay in UK...

Updated resumption dates.  Silversea’s global family will reunite on the following voyages, as our ships recommence their itineraries around the world:

Silver Cloud:
•     E4201028019 - Silver Cloud will set sail on October 28, 2020

Silver Wind:
•     WI201111010 - Silver Wind will welcome guests once more from November 11, 2020

Silver Shadow:
•     SS200913011 - Silver Shadow will commence service once again from September 13, 2020

Silver Spirit:
•     SL200903011 - Silver Spirit will set sail on September 3, 2020

Silver Muse:
•     SM200910013 - From September 10, 2020, Silver Muse will resume sailing

Silver Whisper:
•     WH200908016 - Silver Whisper will commence service once again from September 8, 2020

Silver Explorer:
•     E1201020011 - Guests will cruise on Silver Explorer again from October 20, 2020

Silver Moon:
•     MO201002010 - Silver Moon will set sail on October 2, 2020

Silver Origin:
•     OR200822007 - From August 22, 2020, Silver Origin will resume sailing

• Like 2

Now I’m really glad I cancelled the September 8 Whisper TA, (did it a month ago). Not only do I not think it’ll sail, but even if it does, there’s no way I’d want to be on the first cruise after a six month shutdown. 

Just got to make the decision shortly to cancel or not for the Moon November TA. Don’t want to but am dubious about flights and quarantines. 

Edited by jollyjones

9 hours ago, jollyjones said:

Now I’m really glad I cancelled the September 8 Whisper TA, (did it a month ago). Not only do I not think it’ll sail...

9 hours ago, Silver Spectre said:

No doubt the 8th September crossing will be gone soon as well.

I have a feeling the TA will sail.  Maybe without passengers, but it probably will sail.  Why?  Because, SS has removed every voyage after the TA until November 10th.  So, I’m speculating SS wants to get that ship across the Atlantic so they can run some sort of schedule in the fall on the East or Gulf coasts of America and between her territories like Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

Edited by Stumblefoot

Well, they may move the ship across the pond at some time (and get the crew on board somehow), but SS only removed subsequent sailings because they were Canadian itineraries which are impossible now that Canada has closed to cruising till November at the earliest.

Without Canada as a non-US port (and don't start looking at Bermuda, that ain't happening), East Coast itineraries that don't contravene the PVSA are tricky, they'll have to go to the Bahamas/Caribbean or Mexico (ugh) or further south, no choice. Great in hurricane season.

• Like 1

Wow, now canceling into November.  Those dates are getting really close to our January planned departure.  Although I am still cautiously optimistic about cruising from Ft Lauderdale to Aukland in January, my thinking is starting to turn around.  My friends down under in OZ are still saying they believe the borders will be closed, (particularly to international cruise ships), until sometime next spring.  They have no official knowledge, just what they read and hear on the local news, but certainly are more in tune to what's happening in their part of the world. Mrs Banjo and I have no interest in cruising if the ports are not open and particularly if we can not disembark at the end where planned.  

• Like 1

Yes, we're reckoning that our October 10th Hong Kong-Sydney on the Muse isn't looking good - although it seems that there are rumours of the Muse 'hanging out' down-under for the winter? But still doesn't look good for them accepting anyone from the UK?

• Like 3

2 hours ago, crusinbanjo said:

Mrs Banjo and I have no interest in cruising if the ports are not open...

We’re solidly in your camp.  

After spending more than a year planning a wonderful gastronomy tour on land and at sea that starts 12-days before our voyage begins with an exploration of the Basque region of Spain and the Provence region of France, I have the very same concern as you; missing many of the 11 ports of call where great lunches and dinners are to be had.  

Some CC friends here have already cancelled their reservations and based on recent writings, I have no doubt more cancellations are on the way.  The sad thing for us is we knew many of folks on this voyage, so we were looking forward to our reacquaintance, while making new friendships in person with those whom we only know in this digital realm.  Who knows if we’ll ever have such an opportunity to sail with so many wonderful folks again?

• Like 3

On 6/11/2020 at 4:18 AM, Stumblefoot said:

I have a feeling the TA will sail.  Maybe without passengers, but it probably will sail.  Why?  Because, SS has removed every voyage after the TA until November 10th.  So, I’m speculating SS wants to get that ship across the Atlantic so they can run some sort of schedule in the fall on the East or Gulf coasts of America and between her territories like Puerto Rico or the U.S. Virgin Islands.

But, but, but....... that means cancelling our panama cruise.... and the second time that SS have cancelled and changed the Nov 23 Cruise from FLL. Of all 4 bookings, this was the one I was desperate not to lose. Ho hum.

And I expect that will end up being US passengers only. 

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just received notice that our June 2021 cruise on the Silver Cloud (Lisbon to Reykjavik), which is a segment of the  2021 Expedition World Cruise, has been cancelled.  We were offered to transfer to the 2022 World Cruise (same segment), a 110% FCC or cash refund.  

4 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

Just received notice that our June 2021 cruise on the Silver Cloud (Lisbon to Reykjavik), which is a segment of the  2021 Expedition World Cruise, has been cancelled.  We were offered to transfer to the 2022 World Cruise (same segment), a 110% FCC or cash refund.  

No sweetener for the 12 month delay?

I think Silversea are tightening their belts after so many cancellations.  I know when I went to book an October cruise, despite showing business class included, they wanted to charge me 820. They said their allocation was used up.  I then found a Lufthansa business class fare, roundtrip, for 366 pounds. Eventually they agreed to give me this flight. I used to make my own flight arrangements but then when Silversea cancel, you are left fighting the airlines for a refund.

34 minutes ago, dawntrdr said:

No, and the FCC was only 110% rather than the usual 125%.  If we decide to go for the 2022 cruise, I would definitely ask for an upgrade.

That is not good. I see the website is still showing the 2021 cruises. Given the current circumstances I can understand the move to cancel the 2021 Expedition WC and reschedule for 2022, but it’s not a good idea to alienate those who are already booked.

Thanks, you are quite right!   On closer review of the email, I see that there is an offer of a  10% reduction, but I'll have to contact the cruise consultant to figure out just how that works.  Here is the language:

" As compensation, Silversea will offer a 10% savings on top of the price you already secured through price matching (a) . 

" (a) PRICE MATCH WHEN MOVING VOYAGES:
Price-match applicable when suite category is the same of the original booking. 
Should the exact category not be available, possible upgrades need to be evaluated case by case with Silversea
Silversea will compensate guests for air arrangements, both in case booked with us or independently
The 10% extra savings will be applied after booking is secured on top of all other savings. "

I am guessing that this means I am assured of getting the same suite category and they give me a refund or FCC of 10% of my original payment.

• Like 1