Transferring Payment for Cancelled Cruise to New Sailing

Desert Cruisers

We have a fully paid September sailing on the Insignia that we expect Oceania to cancel.  If Oceania doesn't cancel, we will cancel as our other cruises associated with this trip have already been cancelled. 

Does anyone have experience with transferring the payment from a cancelled cruise directly to a new booking?  Azamara is offering this option.

Can the FCC for a cancelled cruise be used for the deposit on a new booking?

Thanks for any info.

We did this a few weeks ago. We used a TA to book an Alaska cruise for us which was cancelled, the cruise would be happening now. Once it was cancelled I called my contact directly at Oceania and booked a cruise for this November using the funds from the cancelled cruise. It was instantaneous and very easy. I then moved the booking to my TA for the additional perks.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Classiccruiser777 said:

We used a TA to book an Alaska cruise for us which was cancelled. Once it was cancelled I called my contact directly at Oceania and booked a cruise for this November using the funds from the cancelled cruise. I then moved the booking to my TA for the additional perks.

I'm curious as to why you didn't just do the whole transaction through your TA.  

10 minutes ago, 1985rz1 said:

I'm curious as to why you didn't just do the whole transaction through your TA.  

The person I work with at Oceania has been an exceptional help in unusual circumstances and has direct contacts within the company. In this specific case she was able to access my funds from the cancelled cruise immediately and book the cabin I wanted for our November cruise. This method has served me well, costs nothing more than an additional email, and doesn’t affect the commIssion of either person. My Oceania contact also checks her email and responds during non-working hours.

• Like 4

You may want to wait until Oceania cancels. When they canceled our May 1 cruise that was paid in full, they offered us a full refund or a 125% credit on a future cruise. We chose the full refund but it was before NCL received outside funding. Had we known that the additional liquidity was going to be available we may have decided differently.

Edited by CruiseLibra
typo

Our situation was a bit more complicated...

Our September two week cruise was to be our Oceania Club free cruise.  We only paid a deposit on the not included government taxes and fees.   When we decided it was too soon to travel, our TA arranged for the amount paid ($500.), to be applied to our new 2021 cruise, which is 53 days long.  We have to pay the entire 53 days government taxes and fees, but only the extra 39 days cruise fare.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

We too cancelled our October 2021 Mediterranean cruise, obviously well in advance of the 'drop dead' date.  Our Oceania rep with whom we have dealt directly indicated that we would receive a refund.   I subsequently noticed that the cruise fare had dropped substantially, and we were also feeling more secure about the viability of Oceania  (perhaps that was premature...).  Anyway, I called and our direct Oceania contact told me that the company was allowing a direct rollover, if you will, of our deposit to the new itinerary.  We agreed to this, and she rebooked the cruise, with a lower price.   She called me back later that day (or maybe the next day) and informed me that the deposit had already been processed back to my credit card, so I'd have to give her a new deposit.  That happened the first week of June.   Well, now I have received my credit card statement, and the credited amount is $1.00!!!  I'm going to call her tomorrow, and I am assuming that this is a mistake, not deliberate, but it's concerning.  btw, as another poster indicated, our direct contact with Oceania has been very very helpful to work with on this and our prior two cruises, Cuba and Bermuda.   If her name is Anne, other poster, I couldn't agree more.   But let's see how this credit/refund/new deposit thing works out..... 

Might I suggest online use of the Credit card website, then you can check daily or hourly of what is happening with your credit card. You won't have to wait for your monthly statement to see what is going on. 

Hopefully the O customer service rep didn't pull a fast one on you just to get another deposit, but that's what it looks like. Just another reason for using a separate, real Travel Agent. 

On 6/10/2020 at 1:10 PM, Desert Cruisers said:

We have a fully paid September sailing on the Insignia that we expect Oceania to cancel.  If Oceania doesn't cancel, we will cancel as our other cruises associated with this trip have already been cancelled. 

Does anyone have experience with transferring the payment from a cancelled cruise directly to a new booking?  Azamara is offering this option.

Can the FCC for a cancelled cruise be used for the deposit on a new booking?

Thanks for any info.

To the OP your Insignia cruise should have been cancelled.

The FCC will be issued by July 1 and you can rebook a new cruise and the FCC serves as your down payment.  Your FCC will be 125% of the cruise price, if you are fully paid.  You will receive a refund of the port taxes and any excursions you booked via your CC.

10 minutes ago, KirkNC said:

Has anyone transferred a FCC to an existing booking (not a new one)?

Yes -- FCC has been around for years and can be used for a new or existing booking as long as it follows the guidelines of the cancellation -- which CURRENTLY (subject to change at Oceania's whim) are used by 1 year from date of cancellation for any Oceania cruise through 31 Dec 2022.

Edited by PaulMCO

2 minutes ago, PaulMCO said:

Yes -- FCC has been around for years and can be used for a new or existing booking as long as it follows the guidelines of the cancellation -- which CURRENTLY (subject to change at Oceania's whim) are used by 1 year from date of cancellation for any Oceania cruise through 31 Dec 2022.

Thanks, we have a soon to be cancelled cruise and will want to transfer our FCC to one of two additional current bookings.

We have another situation.  

Our April cruise was cancelled by Oceania.  We accepted our 125% FCC and booked a December cruise.  We also received refunds for a few items; taxes, shorex's, custom air fees and seating upgrades.

On another post I brought up the insurance upcharge which states that our re-booked cruise is insured at 100% of the fare ( including the 125% FCC).

My question is if the December cruise is cancelled will we have the same choice as before; cash refund or 125% FCC?

Dan

Edited by dj_crusin

• 2 weeks later...

good question.  Some people were outraged when they used fcc to book a cruise that eventually was canceled by Viking. Most guests were given the choice of refund or 125%  Fcc.   They asked for a cash refund and were told omce you use any fcc on a booking, you cannot  get a refund of any cash. Everything then is fcc. 

On 6/30/2020 at 8:40 PM, dj_crusin said:

We have another situation.  

Our April cruise was cancelled by Oceania.  We accepted our 125% FCC and booked a December cruise.  We also received refunds for a few items; taxes, shorex's, custom air fees and seating upgrades.

On another post I brought up the insurance upcharge which states that our re-booked cruise is insured at 100% of the fare ( including the 125% FCC).

My question is if the December cruise is cancelled will we have the same choice as before; cash refund or 125% FCC?

Dan

It will be an FCC, not cash.

Think of it this way; originally you had the choice of a refund to the original form of payment (which is usual procedure for refunds, not just cruises [though some airlines are fighting on that]) or a FCC. And now still have the same choice but they are the same thing, a FCC. You paid for this cruise with a FCC so get "refunded" with an FCC.

In effect when you accepted the FCC as compensation for the cancelled cruise you converted the cash into a credit in return for a 25% bonus. I hope TAs pointed this out when having the FCC or refund request discussion with clients when when a cruise is cancelled. 

If YOU then cancel the cruise the FCC *might* retain the original date (some CLs I believe do that - I don't know  O's current policy (and bear in mind, things change, and change again.)) If THEY cancel I expect it to get a new date. So the "wait until the cruise line blinks first" could be the better strategy once again. Things like this is where your TA is a good resource, or should be.

Edited by YoHoHo

20 hours ago, YoHoHo said:

It will be an FCC, not cash.

Think of it this way; originally you had the choice of a refund to the original form of payment (which is usual procedure for refunds, not just cruises [though some airlines are fighting on that]) or a FCC. And now still have the same choice but they are the same thing, a FCC. You paid for this cruise with a FCC so get "refunded" with an FCC.

In effect when you accepted the FCC as compensation for the cancelled cruise you converted the cash into a credit in return for a 25% bonus. I hope TAs pointed this out when having the FCC or refund request discussion with clients when when a cruise is cancelled. 

If YOU then cancel the cruise the FCC *might* retain the original date (some CLs I believe do that - I don't know  O's current policy (and bear in mind, things change, and change again.)) If THEY cancel I expect it to get a new date. So the "wait until the cruise line blinks first" could be the better strategy once again. Things like this is where your TA is a good resource, or should be.

According to O the previous FCC is deemed used.  The new FCC based on the cruise value, assume the new dates.

At least that is what we were told by O for two FCCs one a cruise one which expired in Dec this year and one that expired in July of this year.