When will things start back up?

KS&JW

Sketchy information for sure, but this screenshot was posted on the NCL Facebook page before it was removed.  It is still floating around in the comments of various posts on FB and here on CC.  It was described as when crew are to be back on ships.   It matches published data points.  For a recent example,
https://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/23071-norwegian-cancels-six-months-of-jewel-sailings.html 
"Norwegian Cruise Line has announced that all scheduled Norwegian Jewel sailings from September 25, 2020 through February 27, 2021 have been canceled."   

This is just gossip, but juicy gossip.  

Screen Shot 2020-06-09 at 1.18.16 PM.png

Edited by KS&JW

2 minutes ago, BSR said:

There is a lot of discussion on the Norwegian board regarding this. 

Yes, that is where I found and and since there are Oceania ships (and Regent) on this list, the Oceania board should see it.

If they have assigned times like this would appear, why don't they market their sailings that way instead of acting like all ships are sailing all fall????

Thanks for posting by the way.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, KS&JW said:

This is just gossip, but juicy gossip.

On the NCL board, the official NCL rep who posts there upon occasion verified that this is just  a possible scenario and not at all final or factual.  Here's the exact quote:

1 hour ago, Norwegian Cruise Line said:

We are as eager to set sail as you are! There are still a few unknowns but we are planning for a variety of relaunch scenarios. We continue to work across several plans and time frames to ensure we are best prepared for the resumption of sailing and we will, of course, share information as it becomes available.  We greatly appreciate your patience and understanding as we continue to navigate through this evolving situation.  We can’t wait to welcome you aboard!

Edited by njhorseman

18 hours ago, KirkNC said:

If they have assigned times like this would appear, why don't they market their sailings that way instead of acting like all ships are sailing all fall????

Thanks for posting by the way.

As aforementioned, this list may not be what will actually happen because of all sorts of reasons from it's being bogus to the almost daily changes in port/country travel restrictions to whatever.

As for Oceania still selling "questionable" 2020-21 itineraries, it makes sense since a change in the itinerary ports (particularly embark/disembark) might make yesterday's "no go" into today's "go." And it would be a bummer all around if the passengers load was non-existent.  In addition, keeping the itinerary decisions spaced out (month by month), will allow Oceania to stay on top of refund processing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Georgia_Peaches said:

Still no feedback on how the meeting went yesterday between the CDC and the cruise lines.  The outcome of that meeting will have an impact on the proposed timeline.  Fingers crossed that it went well.  

My fingers would be crossed that there is a vaccine or "cure" before I sail.

YMMV.

• Like 4

15 hours ago, GICNJC said:

We are scheduled for Riveria Dec 13 to 20.  Going to look forward to the 125% future credit.  Wold use it to upgrade our July 27 Sirena 42nd anniversary northern Europe cruise.

Why would you expect that cruise to be cancelled.  Assuming that the CDC allows cruising to continue (we expect that politics will force that issue) I would guess that there will be no problem with the Key West stop or the ports in Mexico (I would expect Mexico to open up to tourism long before December).   Although Mexico has essentially shut down for the moment, President Obrador (often called AMLO) has been somewhat cavalier (and reckless) when it comes to COVID-19.  It is unlikely that he would keep Mexico closed for a long time and no way would he keep it closed for the main tourist season which begins around late November.

Hank

4 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Why would you expect that cruise to be cancelled.  Assuming that the CDC allows cruising to continue (we expect that politics will force that issue) I would guess that there will be no problem with the Key West stop or the ports in Mexico (I would expect Mexico to open up to tourism long before December).   Although Mexico has essentially shut down for the moment, President Obrador (often called AMLO) has been somewhat cavalier (and reckless) when it comes to COVID-19.  It is unlikely that he would keep Mexico closed for a long time and no way would he keep it closed for the main tourist season which begins around late November.

Hank

All that said, you only need a couple of Covid passengers or staff to become Diamond Princess (or any number of other ships like that) all over again.

Just now, Paulchili said:

All that said, you only need a couple of Covid passengers or staff to become Diamond Princess (or any number of other ships like that) all over again.

Completely true.  But the cruise lines are really in a death struggle to survive and will need to gamble.  It could be several years (or never) until there is a safe/effective COVID-19 vaccine and the virus does have all the traits of an endemic virus (one that does not quickly disappear).  It is unlikely the cruise lines can wait-out COVID-19 so they are in a real no-win situation.

Hank

2 minutes ago, Hlitner said:

Completely true.  But the cruise lines are really in a death struggle to survive and will need to gamble.  It could be several years (or never) until there is a safe/effective COVID-19 vaccine and the virus does have all the traits of an endemic virus (one that does not quickly disappear).  It is unlikely the cruise lines can wait-out COVID-19 so they are in a real no-win situation.

Hank

For me it's a matter of odds. I may go to the supermarket (which I don't) or Dr's office with all the precautions.

Going on a cruise (with a flight before and after) - the odds become VERY different.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Paulchili said:

For me it's a matter of odds. I may go to the supermarket (which I don't) or Dr's office with all the precautions.

Going on a cruise (with a flight before and after) - the odds become VERY different.

All true.  Many decisions in life and travel are about one's degree of risk aversion.  For example, you apparently live in the Bay area where the risk of a major earthquake is great.  I would not take that chance.  But with COVID-19, Norovirus, flu, etc. etc. we accept that disease is just part of life.  Taking reasonable precautions to minimize the threat of disease is something most of us accept.  But it is the "reasonable" issue that is debatable.  We live in Puerto Vallarta for part of the year and love the place.  But in that city we must accept the risk of earthquakes, floods. Dengue Fever, parasites, etc.  It is a risk we willingly accept.  How we should deal with the COVID-19 threat is still a question mark.  But I am making the assumption that COVID-19 will be with us for years and it will likely be at least 3 years until there is POSSIBLY a safe/effective vaccine.  DW and I are not prepared to keep our heads in the sand for that length of time.

Our personal internal debate is whether a cruise vacation is reasonable now or anytime in the future.  If we accept that it is not reasonable now, it will likely not be reasonable for many years!  And it is the same with travel.  Since we are passionate about travel and cruising, and are not getting younger, we are willing to accept some of the COVID-19 risk.  But we are still assessing what is "reasonable" given our own risk tolerance.

Hank

16 hours ago, GICNJC said:

We are scheduled for Riveria Dec 13 to 20.  Going to look forward to the 125% future credit.  Wold use it to upgrade our July 27 Sirena 42nd anniversary northern Europe cruise.

If that questionable list is to be believed (or remains accurate), the first Riviera return to cruising will be the one after yours.