When will things start back up?

KS&JW

26 minutes ago, Mrs f. said:

Why just Insignia cruises? We are on Regatta Dec 1, which has not yet been cancelled.  

Insignia is on the RTW cruise - a different matter altogether - the entire cruise or the segments.

It would be more difficult and consequential to make future changes or cancellations than on the other ships.

Edited by Paulchili

On 8/25/2020 at 8:53 AM, JPR said:

In Hawaii, it’s the residents who are using social media to “out” the scofflaw tourists and turn them into the authorities. Several have gone to jail and then been sent home.

Locals there have always had a love/hate relationship with tourists...

Quite actually many of the tourists are often nervy/foolish enough to have their pictures taken in public areas and then post them to social media themselves.  It seems like they think the quarantine a game.  Not only a bad idea in Hawaii but everywhere.  

No disagreement on that. Just responding to the question regarding how the authorities know a tourist has violated quarantine.

However, I’m  sure why tourists who follow mask and social distancing protocols to the letter are a virus risk. Oahu just closed its golf courses again, which is nonsensical. Golf is a sport that makes it easy to social distance, even more so than just going for a walk down the street.

10 minutes ago, JPR said:

Oahu just closed its golf courses again, which is nonsensical. Golf is a sport that makes it easy to social distance, even more so than just going for a walk down the street.

Not a golfer - just guessing here. Maybe it's the activities associated with golf - dressing rooms, clubhouses, etc?

Nope. No reason for golfers  to go into a clubhouse or other dressing room. Easy to social distance and no reason to touch the pins. California golf courses have all been open for many months. Private courses are even safer since you don’t need to pay per round, but there are prepayment and other safe ways to handle payments without exposing anyone.

It’s a gross overreaction. Hawaii’s problem is, like with other states, younger people flouting the rules. And Hawai’i as a whole has very few deaths. The Big Island and Kauai have zero deaths (the new rules don’t apply to them or to Maui).

yep, golf is absolutely the best sport in these times. perfect social distancing outdoors. In fact here in Australia, golf is booming with record numbers of rounds (people not travelling overseas, working from home etc). At the height of the pandemic here, clubhouses were closed but most golf continued except for maybe 2 weeks of panic.

On 7/24/2020 at 12:25 PM, Petoonya said:

Not husband. He has Alzheimers, but constantly asks about the cruises he wants to take. He has the invoices on his dresser! It's one of the few things he remembers well. It's worth the risk to me at the moment.

Petoonya, on our Regatta Black Sea cruise in 2012 we were a group of 16 who regularly did private tours organized by one of our members.  One of those members was a lovely woman who had fairly advanced Alzheimers.  My mother was suffering from the same disease at the time and in my opinion was that this woman was not really up to the cruise BUT ... everyone in our group rallied around and helped her.  No doubt the cruise had been booked while she was better able to deal with it, but she as NOT unhappy.  We were there for her.

We took my mother on a cruise 10 years earlier before she had been diagnosed, but she was showing signs, and she also met people -- on her own!  -- who took care of her.  She loved the cruise, and I think the lady I mentioned up above did as well.

Mura

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/24/2020 at 12:53 PM, Petoonya said:

The stress of living with someone who thinks hydrocortisone ointment is toothpaste is worse than money down on cruises. I'm really thrilled he can remember the cruises. When the time comes and he still does, and the cruises do actually go out perchance, I want to have our cabin chosen in advance and see the big smile on his face.

This kind of stuff takes a lot of my stress away for today ❤️

Been there so I do have an idea of what you are going through.  As I said a few minutes ago, he probably will enjoy the cruise.  He clearly loves them.  And if his condition declines to the point where he wouldn't enjoy the cruise when the time comes, then you will know what to do,  Hugs to you both.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JPR said:

It’s a gross overreaction. Hawaii’s problem is, like with other states, younger people flouting the rules. And Hawai’i as a whole has very few deaths. The Big Island and Kauai have zero deaths (the new rules don’t apply to them or to Maui).

As far as we have read, the newest set of rules are for Oahu only and not the neighbor islands.  Please advise if we are wrong.

On 8/26/2020 at 10:14 AM, Flatbush Flyer said:

We/they appreciated the financial benefit that they bring. But we didn't love their presence en masse. But as long as they stick with Fisherman's Wharf and Pier 39 that's cool 🙂

2 hours ago, Mura said:

Been there so I do have an idea of what you are going through.  As I said a few minutes ago, he probably will enjoy the cruise.  He clearly loves them.  And if his condition declines to the point where he wouldn't enjoy the cruise when the time comes, then you will know what to do,  Hugs to you both.

We're already on a waiting list for a senior living place in Seattle. We're fine now which mean we can enjoy all their activities. But if things decline they can provide as much or little as we need. It makes me sad that people don't understand that the day may well come where care can no longer be provided by family/friends much less by cruise staff.

4 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

although in (?parts of) Victoria currently where they are locked down severely at the moment, I believe that there is no golf...

I think you are allowed out for 1 hour to exercise a day

You are correct. In Greater Melbourne you are permitted one hour of exercise each day but no golf. You must stay within 5 km of your home including shopping. No visitors to your home and you can walk with only one other person. Masks must be worn at all times. Food stores, banks, post offices and petrol open but all else closed. No elective surgery. And the list goes on. It’s very tough especially on people living alone. 

12 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

yep, golf is absolutely the best sport in these times. perfect social distancing outdoors. In fact here in Australia, golf is booming with record numbers of rounds (people not travelling overseas, working from home etc). At the height of the pandemic here, clubhouses were closed but most golf continued except for maybe 2 weeks of panic.

Yup,  we are doing it just fine here in Florida.  Each person in his or her own cart and spaced out tee times.  Clubhouse and locker rooms closed.  Not the best but we get to play golf which is the main thing.  All wear masks except when we are on the course.    

• Like 1

Just when it looked like some cruises might be starting up soon Windstar went and cancelled their remaining 2020 cruises. Wind Spirit just arrived at Papeete 2 days ago and was to start Tahiti cruises on Oct. 6. All of the Oct. Nov. Dec. cruises are cancelled. They are supposed to resume Jan. 7, 2021 and I am on Jan. 14 sailing but who knows?

I'm sure everyone's noticed earlier this week that all Oceania cruises for Nov & Dec 2020 were wait listed (except an occaisional category here and there).

So the options are:

1. There was a rush last weekend to get a cruise this year
  2. New COVID capacity limits that Oceania will use were already met
  3. Those cruises will not be happening

The odds seem to be in favor of number three.  The ships have been sent to their layup ports.  January restart at earliest.

23 hours ago, DanOnboard said:

I'm sure everyone's noticed earlier this week that all Oceania cruises for Nov & Dec 2020 were wait listed (except an occaisional category here and there).

So the options are:

1. There was a rush last weekend to get a cruise this year
  2. New COVID capacity limits that Oceania will use were already met
  3. Those cruises will not be happening

The odds seem to be in favor of number three.  The ships have been sent to their layup ports.  January restart at earliest.

#1 (have to use the time-limited FCCs issued in February/March - don't worry. If O cancels, the FCCs go back to your account with new deadlines).

AND

On 8/29/2020 at 6:04 AM, susiesan said:

Just when it looked like some cruises might be starting up soon Windstar went and cancelled their remaining 2020 cruises. Wind Spirit just arrived at Papeete 2 days ago and was to start Tahiti cruises on Oct. 6. All of the Oct. Nov. Dec. cruises are cancelled. They are supposed to resume Jan. 7, 2021 and I am on Jan. 14 sailing but who knows?

465 Covid cases now in French Polynesia, including community transfer at social events.

Unions are threatening strikes this week unless 2 week quarantine is reintroduced.

Edited by Tranquility Base
  • Like 1