When will things start back up?

KS&JW

14 hours ago, clo said:

YAY! We have an airbnb booked at the end of the month at Nehalem . Our Seattle daughter and her family, who have been religiously walking the walk, will hopefully be able to join us. We love Oregon.

You will LOVE Nehalem area - so beautiful and many things to do, including some nice wineries!  Masks are mandatory and restaurants are opening up with lots of social distancing and sanitization so you can enjoy our wonderful seafood....lots of fresh Dungeness Crab now!  Have a wonderful visit.

21 hours ago, RJB said:

Will be a problem unless there is a vaccine that works well.  I just read that Carnival is putting some sailings off until Feb.  None of the cruise lines really have a current plan to start up.  

Wrong. I know of 2 that will resume cruising in September. They are Tahiti cruises, Windstar and Paul Gaugin. The entire cruise is within one country so if you make it into French Polynesia, meet their entry requirements, you are good to go on the cruise. I will be there Jan. 14, 2021 for a 7 day on Wind Spirit.

18 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Wrong. I know of 2 that will resume cruising in September. They are Tahiti cruises, Windstar and Paul Gaugin. The entire cruise is within one country so if you make it into French Polynesia, meet their entry requirements, you are good to go on the cruise. I will be there Jan. 14, 2021 for a 7 day on Wind Spirit.

Good luck on flying.  Not us for a good long time until they get a vaccine.  The planes that are flying seat you much too close together for safety.  Good luck and stay safe. 

• Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, RJB said:

Good luck on flying.  Not us for a good long time until they get a vaccine.  The planes that are flying seat you much too close together for safety.  Good luck and stay safe. 

Knowing what I do about air filtration on planes, I am totally comfortable flying. My biggest concern is tolerating an 8 hour flight in coach with a mask on. 😬😷 We always get business class award seats for long international flights but UA never makes then available on the SFO-PPT route.

Susiean;

I caught a one day sale in UA for our PPT trip by constantly watching ita matrix. As Flyertalker would say, it wasn’t really a sale, just an inventory adjustment pricing. Didn’t last more than about 4 hours. We got Business Class for about 60% of the typical going rate. Saw it and jumped immediately.

You are correct, UA never offered FF Business Class seats on that route!

11 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

Susiean;

I caught a one day sale in UA for our PPT trip by constantly watching ita matrix. As Flyertalker would say, it wasn’t really a sale, just an inventory adjustment pricing. Didn’t last more than about 4 hours. We got Business Class for about 60% of the typical going rate. Saw it and jumped immediately.

You are correct, UA never offered FF Business Class seats on that route!

I got the coach seats for only 35K miles each way. Cost to buy them now is $1500 coach, $4400 business. Business award is 175K each way. That's just nuts. I saw those sale prices but I wasn't willing to pay for business seats even at 60% off. 8 hours is about the maximum time I can tolerate in coach. I'll take a double dose of sleeping pills and pass out. 

Edited by susiesan

34 minutes ago, susiesan said:

Knowing what I do about air filtration on planes, I am totally comfortable flying. My biggest concern is tolerating an 8 hour flight in coach with a mask on. 😬😷 We always get business class award seats for long international flights but UA never makes then available on the SFO-PPT route.

Now that there's some evidence of COVID successfully being transmitted aerosol and evidently remaining in the air for several hours it makes flying even dicier. I can visualize lifting my mask a tiny bit with just disinfected hands and taking a small bite of food. Hmm, maybe bring your own food in case the airline food had some of these particles drop on it. Or do like I did for our 10 hour Polaris J class from EZE/IAH. I had a glass of Champagne, took a pill and slept all night 🙂

https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsandsoda/2020/07/06/887919633/aerosols-droplets-fomites-what-we-know-about-transmission-of-covid-19

The entire article kept repeating that the concept is not proven, but it was presented here as fact!!

This reminds me of a tv interview they did with a CDC official. They asked if someone can be infected by another that is asymptomatic .

The answer was “Yes, but very rare“.

Interviewer: “ How rare?”

1 in a 1000 maybe 1 in 10,000 chance. Very rare.

Interviewer: So one can be infected by one that is asymptomatic?

Yes! But very rare!

What do we now constantly read: How dangerous people that are asymptomatic are? It’s like the facts given above! Would a 1000 times repeating that the theory was not proven have changed the post! Highly unlikely!

18 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

What do we now constantly read: How dangerous people that are asymptomatic are? It’s like the facts given above! Would a 1000 times repeating that the theory was not proven have changed the post! Highly unlikely!

Here's an update:

https://www.statnews.com/2020/06/09/who-comments-asymptomatic-spread-covid-19/

And here's another re aerosol transmission:

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-53329946

They're getting more data every day and learning more every day. Hmm, I'm curious. Do you just dismiss anything that doesn't align with what you want to do? Like going to Europe? What do you think you accomplish with that? Some people actually give out info so people can make informed decisions. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, susiesan said:

Current rules for French Polynesia shown below from https://www.iatatravelcentre.com/international-travel-document-news/1580226297.htm

Hopefully things will change for those traveling in September, but I personally wouldn't bet on it.

French Polynesia
Published 06.07.2020
1. Passengers are not allowed to enter French Polynesia.
- This does not apply to passengers who reside in French Polynesia.
2. Passengers must have a medical certificate with a negative Coronavirus (COVID-19) test result issued at most 72 hours before arrival.
3. Until 15 July 2020, a completed declaration on honor to state that passengers do not have symptoms of Coronavirus (COVID-19) and that they will go into quarantine for 7 days must be presented prior to boarding and to Immigration upon arrival in French Polynesia. The declaration must be obtained at www.polynesie-francaise.pref.gouv.fr.
4. A completed International Travel Certificate must be presented prior to boarding and to Immigration upon arrival or when transiting French Polynesia. The certificate must be obtained before departure via the French consular offices abroad or online at https://www.interieur.gouv.fr/Actualites/L-actu-du-Ministere/Attestation-de-deplacement-et-de-voyage.

• Thanks 1

There is NO chance cruisers will be allowed into French Polynesia. I seriously cant believe anyone is even considering travelling overseas at the moment or in the foreseeable future, especially from the USA which is now the epicenter of the infection in the world!

28 minutes ago, drkitkat123 said:

There is NO chance cruisers will be allowed into French Polynesia. I seriously cant believe anyone is even considering travelling overseas at the moment or in the foreseeable future, especially from the USA which is now the epicenter of the infection in the world!

I'm seeing the whatever it is one is seeing in young people flocking to bars, beaches, etc. 

14 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

+ 1

• Like 1

16 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

+1

17 hours ago, drkitkat123 said:

Yes, it is happening. Both Air Tahiti Nui and United have flights ready to go from the US. I will be on a flight to PPT on January 12.

Tahiti Tourism just put up this video on July 7 about welcoming tourist back starting July 15. It's happening.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, pinotlover said:

It's not till Apr 2021 and changeable if it needs to change but I got a fare of $419 RT SFO-PPT United coach. Not premium but oh well, the price was too unreal to pass on. Air Tahiti Nui at the time was $1300. The fare was there and 30 min later was gone.

Edited by Petoonya

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

It's not till Apr 2021 and changeable if it needs to change but I got a fare of $419 RT SFO-PPT United coach. Not premium but oh well, the price was too unreal to pass on. Air Tahiti Nui at the time was $1300. The fare was there and 30 min later was gone.

Let's hope it all works out for you.

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

Thanks Paul. Not counting on it but would be nice. Those "glimmers of hope" as someone else said.

The British Government has just advised all its citizens against any travel on cruise ships - the "gimmer of hope" has just faded a little more here.

2 minutes ago, nigelc said:

The British Government has just advised all its citizens against any travel on cruise ships - the "gimmer of hope" has just faded a little more here.

The British are the ones who were hit the most. If I understood from the news correctly, British citizens are basically are not allowed to travel at all, cruising especially. I think travel inside the country is the best option for you guys at the moment. Find it to be an educating experience you will share with your grandchildren  

2 minutes ago, Roger88 said:

The British are the ones who were hit the most. If I understood from the news correctly, British citizens are basically are not allowed to travel at all, cruising especially. I think travel inside the country is the best option for you guys at the moment. Find it to be an educating experience you will share with your grandchildren  

Strangely, they lifted the travel ban last week - we are free to fly to a number of countries, but they do not want us to get on a ship.  

13 minutes ago, nigelc said:

Sorry Nigel.

My cruise is almost a year away and maybe in 6 months things might be looking a little more glimmery for Britain, USA and the world.

2 minutes ago, Petoonya said:

Sorry Nigel.

My cruise is almost a year away and maybe in 6 months things might be looking a little more glimmery for Britain, USA and the world.

Lets hope so - not just for us who enjoy sailing on these great ships, but also for those who have lost their employment.

I have always believed that cruising would not get back to normal until there is either a cure, a vaccine, or a prophylaxis.  Finding a cure may be decades away.  A vaccine seems iffy especially if it is risky to those who are most-at-risk where it seems you are trading one problem for another.  We may be left with a prophylaxis.  The most common prophylaxis is hydroxychloroquine, used throughout the world whether people think it is safe or not.  However, there is another one in the horizon that seems very interesting and maybe more effective than HCQ, Ivermectin, that generic drug one would take for scabies.  It apparently kills the "covid19" virus in vitro in 2 days.  Even better there is clinical trial testing it as a prophylaxis:

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT04422561

The trial should be done by the end of this month.  

Below is a video of what you may call an empirical study of Ivermectin as a prophylaxis:

It is apparently being used as treatment for "covid19" throughout the world.  Not as many as HCQ, but it is growing in number.  Bangladesh and Peru seemed to have embraced it.  There are 4 hospitals in Broward county Florida that is using it to treat their "covid19" patients.  Granted, many studies are just starting or they are in the middle of them, but this drug appears very promising.  Judge for yourself before Big Pharma and the MSM decides for you. 

Maybe the future is not as dark as you think.