When will things start back up?

KS&JW

59 minutes ago, pinotlover said:

I used invermectin as an oral drench to deworm my sheep! Also used as a tropical to deworm cattle.

I’ll let someone else do that one!

It's your option, but it is approved for humans too.  It is used to treat scabies.  If the expected study shows that it works as a prophylaxis (I assume the volunteers are not sheep or cattle, but real human beings) and if it is very effective, the cruiselines may adopt it as a bridge until a viable vaccine becomes available.  I don't know the procedures for this prophylaxis, but if it can be given at check-in, the cruiselines will adopt it in an instant provided there are no major side effects.  We just have to wait for the outcome of the study, but since it is being used in various parts of the world already as a prophylaxis, I expect a positive outcome, but it may not be as effective across the board (but it appears to work for nursing home residents, so it will probably work for most viewers of this forum though most of you are younger.)   All I am saying is that this is the road we may have to take in order to return to cruising as we know it.  As for me, if I am ever exposed to a virus load, I would rather have taken a prophylaxis that is 90% effective than a vaccine that was only 30% effective even if the vaccine is more convenient.  Let's just see what the future will hold.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

but it appears to work for nursing home residents

Sorry, but anecdotal evidence of the safety and efficacy of a medication or treatment is scientifically unacceptable.  I don't care what someone claims it did in a nursing home. They could have changed to a different brand of apple juice that week. Maybe that's what worked.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

With livestock dosages are very weight defined. The effective dosage for a 200 lb man would be different than a 100 lb woman. Biggest risk is an overdose by weight.

In livestock, the most common side effect is a dry hacking cough for up to 24 hours. For humans, would that get confusing since that is also a symptom of Covid-19? 

9 hours ago, susiesan said:

Yes, it is happening. Both Air Tahiti Nui and United have flights ready to go from the US. I will be on a flight to PPT on January 12.

Tahiti Tourism just put up this video on July 7 about welcoming tourist back starting July 15. It's happening.

Sorry, Susie, as much as I hope you will be going in my heart, my head says very little chance.

52 minutes ago, njhorseman said:

Sorry, but anecdotal evidence of the safety and efficacy of a medication or treatment is scientifically unacceptable.  I don't care what someone claims it did in a nursing home. They could have changed to a different brand of apple juice that week. Maybe that's what worked.

True, but that was more for to show anecdotal evidence that it works.  The study for its use as a prophylaxis which is to be completed this month is what you should be looking at for the safety and efficacy of the medication.  Since it is a generic, it has been around for awhile and you can google its history for its safety.  As for how well it works for "covid19", isn't that what a study is for? 

13 minutes ago, deadzone1003 said:

It sounds a little bit like this:

Enjoy a bit of your younger days!

I have no idea idea what you're going on about here, but I guarantee you it looks nothing like my younger days. 

1 hour ago, deadzone1003 said:

True, but that was more for to show anecdotal evidence that it works.  The study for its use as a prophylaxis which is to be completed this month is what you should be looking at for the safety and efficacy of the medication.  Since it is a generic, it has been around for awhile and you can google its history for its safety.  As for how well it works for "covid19", isn't that what a study is for? 

I'm sure many other important clinical trials have been conducted at Zagazig University. 

They estimate 100 participants in the study. I can't wait to see the results...

As skeptical as I am about the chances of a scientifically meaningful positive result, I actually hope I'm proven wrong.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, deadzone1003 said:

It's your option, but it is approved for humans too.  It is used to treat scabies.  If the expected study shows that it works as a prophylaxis (I assume the volunteers are not sheep or cattle, but real human beings) and if it is very effective, the cruiselines may adopt it as a bridge until a viable vaccine becomes available.  I don't know the procedures for this prophylaxis, but if it can be given at check-in, the cruiselines will adopt it in an instant provided there are no major side effects.  We just have to wait for the outcome of the study, but since it is being used in various parts of the world already as a prophylaxis, I expect a positive outcome, but it may not be as effective across the board (but it appears to work for nursing home residents, so it will probably work for most viewers of this forum though most of you are younger.)   All I am saying is that this is the road we may have to take in order to return to cruising as we know it.  As for me, if I am ever exposed to a virus load, I would rather have taken a prophylaxis that is 90% effective than a vaccine that was only 30% effective even if the vaccine is more convenient.  Let's just see what the future will hold.

https://www.fda.gov/animal-veterinary/product-safety-information/faq-covid-19-and-ivermectin-intended-animals

Just in case you didn‘t notice: cruising will start in EU, Germany to be more precise, next week. It will be a quite lame kind of, but it will be cruising with big ships.

A lot of restriction, but hey even baby steps are steps forward. 

I booked on Sirena for a med cruise next April. Hope cruising will be more normal by then.

15 hours ago, ORV said:

I have no idea idea what you're going on about here, but I guarantee you it looks nothing like my younger days. 

If you listen to that song, you could have substituted "Silver Sol Colloidal" for "medicinal compound".

12 hours ago, MouseBerry said:

Just in case you didn‘t notice: cruising will start in EU, Germany to be more precise, next week. It will be a quite lame kind of, but it will be cruising with big ships.

Is that the no port kind?

Yes, there are 3 phases defined. Phase 1 is 3 to 4 days cruises without any port of call except the emb/disemb one. The ships are not allowed for full pax.

Phase 2 will include ports of call if permited by countries. Phase 3 should be cruises as we know it, well kind of.

I‘m not aware of dates for the different phases. I guess this based on experience.

On 7/9/2020 at 5:04 PM, drkitkat123 said:

seriously, how similar is this to the hydroxychloroqune debacle? Be  very very careful about believing any of this stuff.....

Well, they are still using hydroxychloroquine in Australia.  The discovery of Ivermectin killing the virus in vitro was in Australia (Kudos to you guys).  Update on Ivermectin as a prophylaxis:  it is good for 6 months, so not long term, but not short term.  If you know the progression of the disease and you read up on all the short term and long term effects of HCQ, then when you read those negative studies, it doesn't make sense.  The Henry Ford study had shown there was a 50% reduction in deaths for their covid19 patients when the drugs were given in earliest part of the late stage (which is called the pneumonia stage or lower respiratory stage), basically as soon as they enter the ICU.  If we had done that when the drugs were first available, the number of deaths in the USA would have been halved.  The optimum time to give this drug is in the 1st stage, ASAP when symptoms appeared.  We knew this back in March.  If we had done this back then, deaths would probably be 10-15% of what it is now.

We could have move the disease from a hospital setting to an outpatient setting.  Currently, the USA has 10 times the number of deaths from covid19 than the entire continent of Africa.  On a per capita basis, it is roughly 35 times.  Guess what they take in Africa, it is not Remdesivir,

Here is a report from an American Journalist in Brazil.  Remember, Brazil took Sweden's approach and did not close their economy.

https://www.citizenfreepress.com/breaking/hcq-is-dominating-in-brazil/

In this video it talks of HCQ and Ivermectin use in Brazil.

Do not denigrate this website and say whatever they are saying is junk.  Just do what President Reagan said in the past, "Trust, but Verify".  

If Ivermectin as a prophylaxis works as they claim, maybe cruising could get back to where it was.  All of you are waiting for a vaccine to return to cruising.  A vaccine is basically a long-term prophylaxis.  Most prophylaxis are generally short term.  Ivermectin appears to be a medium term prophylaxis (and you can probably call it a short term vaccine.)   In any case, it looks promising.  We just have to wait for that study due sometime at the end of this month.     

1 hour ago, deadzone1003 said:

If Ivermectin as a prophylaxis works as they claim, maybe cruising could get back to where it was.  All of you are waiting for a vaccine to return to cruising.  A vaccine is basically a long-term prophylaxis.  Most prophylaxis are generally short term.  Ivermectin appears to be a medium term prophylaxis (and you can probably call it a short term vaccine.)   In any case, it looks promising.  We just have to wait for that study due sometime at the end of this month.  

Let's keep in mind that in vitro and in vivo are two very different things

The fact that Ivermectin is effective in vitro it puts it in the same category as Purel, Lysol or ultraviolet light (and a number of other disinfectants).

Let's see how it works in vivo.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Clearly, O knew this was coming given the recent cancellation of all their September cruises.

BTW, for folks who are interested in the O ship movements, Regatta left SF last week to head down to L.A.

1 hour ago, Paulchili said:

Thanks; not a surprise but just one more sobering acknowledgement of reality.  I personally feel inundated with bad Covid news this week in particular, probably because our driving trip to NJ to see our children and grandchildren now is off due to Ohio joining the ever-increasing list of states on the NY-NJ-CT quarantine list.  
Ah, well, I only have been in the same car with my husband since March 11 for a total of 10 minutes just one week ago.  Eleven hours in a car together in one day could result in serious mayhem! 

Edited by CintiPam
  • Haha 2

3 minutes ago, CintiPam said:

Thanks; not a surprise but just one more sobering acknowledgement of reality.  I personally feel inundated with bad Covid news this week in particular, probably because our driving trip to NJ to see our children and grandchildren now is off due to Ohio joining the ever-increasing list of states on the NY-NJ-CT quarantine list.  
Ah, well, I only have been in the same car with my husband since March 11 for a total of 10 minutes just one week ago.  Eleven hours in a car together in one day could result in serious mayhem! 

Pam- so sorry to hear the painful news about not seeing the kids and grandkids. My heart goes out to you.

1 hour ago, Petoonya said:

Pam- so sorry to hear the painful news about not seeing the kids and grandkids. My heart goes out to you.

I appreciate your kind post. 

I am rooting for your cruise in French Polynesia to work out for you.  We are not making any further travel plans at all right now so I vicariously root for the brave others and their travel dreams.

Edited by CintiPam
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, CintiPam said:

We are not making any further travel plans at all right now so I vicariously root for the brave others and their travel dreams.

Thanks Pam- I'm vicariously feeling so badly for you. Know how heavenly it would be especially to see those little ones. I'm starting to get nightmares and feel it's anxiety/withdrawal from not seeing the family.

Don't know how brave we are in keeping our FP plans on track. Maybe cautiously optimistic?