Rome Hotel/Best Location

mworkman

Where is the best location to stay in Rome for several days after a cruise to sightsee, dine and relax? Also recommendations for hotels, budget for lodging would be in the range of $100-$600 per night range.  Also if there are must see places, dinning venues to attend, as our port stops doesn't allow for Rome excursions this trip and our reason for departing Europe back to the US from Rome.  Our plan as of today would be to travel via TA on Rhapsody along with follow on 7 day, B2B departing from Venice on the 1st of May to Rome and departing around the 4th or 5th of May 2021.

Thanks

Edited by mworkman

Highly recommend doing a golf cart excursion in Rome.  It was a good way to cover a lot of ground quickly.  If you do it the first day, you can use it as a ‘guide’ for where you may want to go back to see at a more leisurely pace.

• Like 1

Rome is a huge sprawling city with major tourist sites/destinations spread in different places around the city.  You will get lots of different opinions on the best area to stay based on frequent visitor's personal preferences.  There is no right or wrong although one's budget can have a big part in a decision.  Even when it comes to eating you can probably get thousands of different opinions...all of which are right :).   DW and I often think in terms of where we will go for dinner (and after dinner) and want to stay in that area.  During the daytime we can use public transit, take long walks, etc....but after dinner (and perhaps a bar) we like to be relatively close to our home base.  Our own preference (and I am not saying this is right for the OP) is to be relatively close the the Piazza Navona and Campo dei Fiori.  There are plenty of neighborhood places for us to eat dinner and within walking distance (we love long walks) to most of the places we want to visit.  If we decide to go to a more distant location during the day we will usually use a public bus or walk to the nearest metro stop (assuming the metro is a reasonably option to get to our destination).  Otherwise there are always taxis, although we prefer to avoid taxis because of the cost (which accumulates when you get caught in traffic).

Another neighborhood that is enjoyed by some of our friends is Trastevere.   DW and I have often talked about staying in this area but always find ourselves wanting to be closer to the Piazza Navona.   I only mention this to emphasize that its personal preference and not about right or wrong.

Hank

• Like 1

While I somewhat agree with Hank about the size of Rome, the sites that most tourists want to visit are concentrated in the Centro Storico (historic center) which is not really that big. What is consider "ground zero" of that area is what Hank describes an area that basically goes from Trevi Fountain to Piazza Navona, with the "center" located around the Pantheon.  From a hotel based here, one could walk to most sites (or take an inexpensive taxi to the farther ones, such as the Vatican, if walking is an issue).

Many sing the praises of Trastevere, but every time I've been there, I find it a little less charming than it used to be (e.g., more touristy) and not particularly convenient for the sites and museums I enjoy most. 

Around the Pantheon, some hotels I can recommend are (in descending order of price):  Albergo del Senato (my absolute favorite); Albergo Santa Chiara, and Hotel Navona, which is a great value in a great location but not as "luxe" overall.

• Like 1

We agree with cruisemom and the area near the Pantheon is ideal. We stayed at Singer palace in September which is about a two minute walk to the Pantheon. The location could not be any better as we were able to walk to almost every major attraction in 30 min or less. The hotel is a 5 star and ranks in the top 2 on several review sites in all of Rome. They include rooftop terrace breakfast every morning as well.  Also echoing cruisemoms sentiments on Trastevere. Maybe this was charming at one time and many sang its praises  before we went, but we were pretty underwhelmed. Maybe its fun if you have been to Rome many times and are looking for a fun night out but it reminded us more of a college bar scene and lacked authentic charm in our opinion.