2 metre rule changing to 1 metre rule? Good news?

Harry Peterson

I read that Boris is now ordering a "review" of the 2 metre rule, reporting on July 4th, which just adds cost and uncertainty to the hospitality trade.  For goodness sake, there are loads of studies out there already - sometimes in life you have to make a decision.

Boris needs to man up, and get off the fence.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, wowzz said:

I read that Boris is now ordering a "review" of the 2 metre rule, reporting on July 4th, which just adds cost and uncertainty to the hospitality trade.  For goodness sake, there are loads of studies out there already - sometimes in life you have to make a decision.

Boris needs to man up, and get off the fence.

Harry posted the link earlier.

IDS says the info is already there, so a decision needs to be made either way... 

Trying to please both sides of the argument again. 

I suspect the outcome will be somewhere in between, still 2m in shops etc but 1m in restaurants and places where 2m is 'not realistic'.. 

Andy 

• Like 1

It’s all about covering the PM’s back, isn’t it.  We all know it’s going to change to a metre very soon to try to revive the economy. But if it backfires and the decision gets linked to the second wave NHS England is busily planning for it’s not going to look good.

Answer?  Have a review to blame it on.

What happened to strong, effective government?

Even a reduction to 1 metre will be useless for the return of cruising. Forget on board ship , what about check in?

Imagine turning up at Ocean for a cruise on Ventura, if you have to social distance there will be no room for sitting and half the booking in positions will not be manned.

Being flippant for a moment will your photo be taken with or without your mask on?

I am desperate to return to cruising but I think that they will have to find ( or invent ) a reason to get rid of social distancing for it to be possible.

Viv

8 minutes ago, Twogreynomads said:

Even a reduction to 1 metre will be useless for the return of cruising. Forget on board ship , what about check in?

Imagine turning up at Ocean for a cruise on Ventura, if you have to social distance there will be no room for sitting and half the booking in positions will not be manned.

Being flippant for a moment will your photo be taken with or without your mask on?

I am desperate to return to cruising but I think that they will have to find ( or invent ) a reason to get rid of social distancing for it to be possible.

Viv

Online check in, photo from passport, fixed time appointments, longer check in with ships sailing later, muster on a TV screen. 

Nothing will be ideal, but they will find a way. 

Andy 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Twogreynomads said:

Viv

If P&O followed the city terminal process of having security first, they would be able to adjust the speed to keep pace with the check in availability.  Then after check in the passengers could go straight onto the ship.  This could be refined further by having check in arrival times more rigorously controlled, in order to reduce the congestion at security.  P&O were already starting to trial a more detailed on-line check in process which would enable check in times to be significantly reduced, which would again speed up the process.

Everything is possible if you really want to make it happen.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Twogreynomads said:

Viv

For most guests, there is far more areas of concern before you reach the terminal,

Travel for instance, Coach Journey?? Private Car, Parking??? Overnight Hotel??? Private Taxi???

Private fascilities all round??? Insurance???

Once you overcome all that, you then will be faced with the Cruise ships new photocols.

And even after that the Countries that you are visiting will also have new photocols.

Holiday???

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, terrierjohn said:

If P&O followed the city terminal process of having security first, they would be able to adjust the speed to keep pace with the check in availability.  Then after check in the passengers could go straight onto the ship.  This could be refined further by having check in arrival times more rigorously controlled, in order to reduce the congestion at security.  P&O were already starting to trial a more detailed on-line check in process which would enable check in times to be significantly reduced, which would again speed up the process.

Everything is possible if you really want to make it happen.

Compared to some other lines P&O check in is pretty medieval. Their shed in Southampton compared with Royal and others at Soton is sad. We have recently checked in with NCL at Barcelona and RC at Civitaveccia. P&O need to learn from others even before Covid.

• Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, brian1 said:

What about the extra lifeboats they'll have to tow,if the ship sinks.Have to keep 2 mts in all circumstances.

🙂 I imaging saving your life will be more important in such situations, however consider tendering. We are tightly packed in the tender so with even 1 metre distancing tendering is impractical, it would take all day just to get the passengers off the ship. so no tender ports. 

Ocean terminal would be a problem for check in, the entrance, escalator, lifts etc at one end and security at the other with check in in the middle. It would require an internal rebuild?

44 minutes ago, mercury7289 said:

For most guests, there is far more areas of concern before you reach the terminal,

Travel for instance, Coach Journey?? Private Car, Parking??? Overnight Hotel??? Private Taxi???

Private fascilities all round??? Insurance???

Once you overcome all that, you then will be faced with the Cruise ships new photocols.

And even after that the Countries that you are visiting will also have new photocols.

Holiday???

Drive to Southampton. No problem

Self park and baggage drop.No problem.

On line check in,  No problem

Overnight hotel protocol. Sorted

Insurance for medical. Covered.

If you think it is all in the too difficult box, you can always stay in doors. More space for us.

Cheers

😂

13 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

At least we are accustomed to queuing, imagine the nationalities that just don't get it... 

Andy 

Just cough loudly and say "Damn ! it's getting worse since I got back from China". I think they would get it :classic_wink:

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

16 minutes ago, AndyMichelle said:

At least we are accustomed to queuing, imagine the nationalities that just don't get it... 

Andy 

Or pensioners where i live, possessing a bus pass DOES NOT entitle you to jump the bus queue 😖

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, davecttr said:

🙂 I imaging saving your life will be more important in such situations, however consider tendering. We are tightly packed in the tender so with even 1 metre distancing tendering is impractical, it would take all day just to get the passengers off the ship. so no tender ports. 

Ocean terminal would be a problem for check in, the entrance, escalator, lifts etc at one end and security at the other with check in in the middle. It would require an internal rebuild?

I was being flippant but also a serious point.

2 minutes ago, brian1 said:

I was being flippant but also a serious point.

If you want to take a chance on Covid you can get in the lifeboat. If you want 2m distancing, please wait til the person below you is clear before you jump.😷

6 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Drive to Southampton. No problem

Self park and baggage drop.No problem.

On line check in,  No problem

Overnight hotel protocol. Sorted

Insurance for medical. Covered.

If you think it is all in the too difficult box, you can always stay in doors. More space for us.

Cheers

😂

As I don't have a car and don't fancy 3 taxi journeys plus 2 rail journeys getting there is a problem. Private car from Kent might work though expensive. I am sure the hotels will have appropriate protocols, room service in Premier Inn or i could take my own sarnies. Or travel on embarkation day, apparently Southampton is less than 3 hours from Kent by car.

1 minute ago, zap99 said:

If you want to take a chance on Covid you can get in the lifeboat. If you want 2m distancing, please wait til the person below you is clear before you jump.😷

Since this started I've always abided to the Italian rules,1MT,LOL.

14 hours ago, Adawn47 said:

I only live a 5 minute walk away. It's a beautifully kept cemetery opposite the old church.  We'll looked after. Grass regularly cut, pathways tidied and no vandalism.

Sadly the Barnsley Co-op is long gone, I believe it's called "progress" We still have a  couple of small food shops and an undertakers but that's all. By the way, another 6 cases today takes us to 1024. I'm staying in 😆.

Avril 

Thanks Avril.  Pleased to hear that - I need to give it some serious thought.  Quite like the idea of the link with my grandparents, who lived not far from there.  Not a big house, but quite a lot of land at the back (orchard, chicken shed etc)  - now a housing estate.  They sold house and land for next to nothing to an associate of a crooked firm of Barnsley solicitors.

Not many strong local co-ops left these days, though there are a few.  Keep clear of Barnsley till things improve!

Harry

Our 2 lidos are preparing for the opening tomorrow.Note that when 2 sunbeds are placed either side there will be just over 1 mt gap.Normally they cram them in like sardines.20200614_072431.thumb.jpg.b65c6178818bd1a6a291a806a6a1b77e.jpg20200614_073010.thumb.jpg.a482739ad73924e4fe777cd6bba3ef7e.jpg

2 minutes ago, davecttr said:

As I don't have a car and don't fancy 3 taxi journeys plus 2 rail journeys getting there is a problem. Private car from Kent might work though expensive. I am sure the hotels will have appropriate protocols, room service in Premier Inn or i could take my own sarnies. Or travel on embarkation day, apparently Southampton is less than 3 hours from Kent by car.

We did a Baltic cruise with NCL from Dover. I think others go from Dover ,but I'm not sure. P&O cruises don't but P&O ferries do 😁. I guess in your position part of the holiday cost calculation is private car transfer. I don't think I would be happy with 3 Taxis and 2 trains each way. How about CMV from Tilbury?

John Lewis gives a taste of the current space rules.  People 8 steps apart on escalators, and only one person or family group in a lift at any one time.  Warnings of delays getting in, and delays paying.

I can’t anyway, but even if I could I doubt I’d be returning to High Street shopping. Thank goodness for Amazon, ebay etc.. 

11 minutes ago, zap99 said:

We did a Baltic cruise with NCL from Dover. I think others go from Dover ,but I'm not sure. P&O cruises don't but P&O ferries do 😁. I guess in your position part of the holiday cost calculation is private car transfer. I don't think I would be happy with 3 Taxis and 2 trains each way. How about CMV from Tilbury?

There's a passenger ferry across the Thames from Gravesend to Tilbury.That would cut a huge chunk off the Dartford crossing.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, zap99 said:

Some Saga cruises  depart from Dover.