Disney Cruise enforcing cancellation fees

Blindbat78

I’m a DVC member and have a cruise booked for Aug 15th. In March when pandemic hit I called and asked about the cruise. I was informed to not worry and at that time no one knew when ships would sail. I was told that I could wait it out as there were many months till the booked cruise and there would be credits , very opened ended as no one really knew what was going on. Never was it mentioned that the original cancelation dates and fee would be enforced. The 120 day without fee to cancel would have been mid April. The agent never told me in March that I still needed to abide by that date. Although European and Canadian cruises are cancelled as of this week, the Caribbean route are slated to sail starting end of July. some ports are still not open.  I’m not comfortable sailing at this time and have been asking to get a full refund.  Disney is insisting that I will be charged 20%. I’m totally disappointed in their not relaxing the cancellation window, as many cruise lines have. If I don’t cancel by next week the fee jumps to 50%. It’s possible that Disney will cancel the cruise after I cancel and get charged. With this unusual unprecedented  time Disney should be more considerate of their dedicated followers. No one could have predicted the tremendous impact of this vicious virus, resulting in unthinkable loss of life. Any thoughts or comments?

3 hours ago, Blindbat78 said:

I’m a DVC member and have a cruise booked for Aug 15th. In March when pandemic hit I called and asked about the cruise. I was informed to not worry and at that time no one knew when ships would sail. I was told that I could wait it out as there were many months till the booked cruise and there would be credits , very opened ended as no one really knew what was going on. Never was it mentioned that the original cancelation dates and fee would be enforced. The 120 day without fee to cancel would have been mid April. The agent never told me in March that I still needed to abide by that date. Although European and Canadian cruises are cancelled as of this week, the Caribbean route are slated to sail starting end of July. some ports are still not open.  I’m not comfortable sailing at this time and have been asking to get a full refund.  Disney is insisting that I will be charged 20%. I’m totally disappointed in their not relaxing the cancellation window, as many cruise lines have. If I don’t cancel by next week the fee jumps to 50%. It’s possible that Disney will cancel the cruise after I cancel and get charged. With this unusual unprecedented  time Disney should be more considerate of their dedicated followers. No one could have predicted the tremendous impact of this vicious virus, resulting in unthinkable loss of life. Any thoughts or comments?

Hi ! we also are scheduled to sail on Aug 15, the date for the final payment was extended until April 17th when the COVID hit.I spoke with multiple people and they "assured me" that we can get out $ back if we choose to cancel.We are not sure if we even want to go at this point but are trying to wait it out to see what occurs. I have learned from several people that if Disney cancels we will be offered 125%  to rebook for next year. ( which is what  I guess we are hoping for now) Personally I cant think they are going to sail at all in Aug in the Caribbean. If all the cruises are cancelled until late July , and they stop cruising in Aug because of hurricanes, what sense does it make to "come back" for 2-3 weeks?  

4 hours ago, Blindbat78 said:

Most of the cruise Paid in Full dates were adjusted due to the pandemic.  Yes, it wasn't very clearly stated early on that if you choose to cancel before DCL cancels your cruise, the regular penalty schedule remains in effect, regardless of the new PIF dates.   But, if you wait it out, and DCL cancels your cruise, they are currently offering 100% refund OR 125% future cruise credit to be used within 18 months of original cruise date.

There have been reports of some people cancelling their cruises, with penalty, and the DCL refunding the penalty once DCL canceled the cruise.

Yes I understand that you are waiting to pay final payment. I am DVC member and when I booked in November I had to pay in full on the day of booking. That would be points and cash. I have 2 cabins, so you can appreciate the cost associated with a 20% fee. If I don’t cancel by next week I will be in a 50% window. And if I cancel next week and Disney cancels the sailing after that date I’m still out 20%. Again, when I called DVC in March at the start of the pandemic I was told no worries. You can cancel. It is so surprising to me that a company like Disney has put people into a hostage situation. I’ve clearly said I don’t want to risk illness to myself or family. Living in NY I have seen, and on a personal level the unbelievable loss of life. I’d be content just getting my full points and cash back. As a DVC member since 1995 I would have thought there would be some compassion for what has transpired here and around the world. I’m very disappointed in Disney!!

Right. Can’t even go to church and hair salons just opened. Numbers going up in states that opened up mid May. WHO and CDC expressing there is a global pandemic and unsafe to cruise, risking your health. But Disney still not relaxing cancellation fees!!

• Thanks 1

Disney is real slow on making decisions to cancel cruises.  I had one booked for May - Hawaii Transpacific.  It was only a couple weeks out before they finally pulled the plug. Prior to that, we just had to wait it out for weeks even though Canada closed its boarders to ships.  Disney wouldn't update their website but once every few weeks.  It was quite annoying waiting for the decision.

Right now they did an update June 8th.  Odds are will be another 3-4 weeks before they extend the dates.  With the bans on travel still in place for those entering into the US, I'm not so sure they will be ready for cruising in August.   I had a September cruise get cancelled last week on Princess if that's any indication of probability.  I would ride it out and wait for them to cancel.

Riding it out was the original information that DVC gave me in March. If I hang in and wait for them to cancel, and by some chance they do sail, I will forfeit all the money and points. Disney should be relaxing their cancelation policies like most other cruise lines. Shame on them!!

2 hours ago, Blindbat78 said:

Riding it out was the original information that DVC gave me in March. If I hang in and wait for them to cancel, and by some chance they do sail, I will forfeit all the money and points. Disney should be relaxing their cancelation policies like most other cruise lines. Shame on them!!

You wouldn't lose it all if they sail if you are willing to take a future cruise credit.   You should have up until the day before embarkment to decide.     If you are willing to cruise in the future, you might be able to go that route and apply the 100%.  It's like riding it out and taking the 125% future credit.  I imagine they are still offering that option.

This is sort of like the airlines.  You can't get a refund unless they change the flight or cancel it.  They want you to take a credit towards future travel.

8 minutes ago, Blindbat78 said:

I asked for credit in full for future. Disney offered a future cruise but with 20% fee charged. Most cruise lines have relaxed cancellation fees. 

Yes, if you cancel you are held to the prevailing contract you agreed to when you booked.  If you wait until DCL cancels, currently, you can choose 100% refund, or 125% future cruise credit.  Now, I realize the DVC part of it complicates things, but there's some "refund" there, or at least it's been reported that DVC is working with people about it, but only on those cruises that DCL cancels, not if you cancel.

Can you be more specific about the "relaxed cancellation fees"?  and what cruise lines have them?

14 minutes ago, Blindbat78 said:

I asked for credit in full for future. Disney offered a future cruise but with 20% fee charged. Most cruise lines have relaxed cancellation fees. 

What the heck?  Did you ever get an email from them about temporary adjustments to the cancellation policy?  I wonder if they stopped doing that?  Or maybe it wasn't for all sailings?

In mid-March, before they decided to cancel our cruise, they sent us an email with select ships and sail dates listed (Ours was in it).  In the email, they noted they were doing a temporary adjustment to the cancellation policy and that it would be a 100% credit.  It didn't say anything about a fee.  The time to use the credit was within 15 months.    This email came about 6 weeks before sail date.   Some people on our sailing took the offer but didn't say they paid a fee.  

12 minutes ago, iluvcruzin said:

What the heck?  Did you ever get an email from them about temporary adjustments to the cancellation policy?  I wonder if they stopped doing that?  Or maybe it wasn't for all sailings?

In mid-March, before they decided to cancel our cruise, they sent us an email with select ships and sail dates listed (Ours was in it).  In the email, they noted they were doing a temporary adjustment to the cancellation policy and that it would be a 100% credit.  It didn't say anything about a fee.  The time to use the credit was within 15 months.    This email came about 6 weeks before sail date.   Some people on our sailing took the offer but didn't say they paid a fee.  

I'm thinking the fee has to do with the DVC part of the reservation.  Typically, I've read, booking a cruise with DVC points, there's no refund of points if you cancel.  

I never received an email or was told in March that these windows were still enforced. After complaining the past month I was told to keep watching the Disney Cruise Line website. They really did not give out the correct information, I’m sure Disney had no idea in March, as the rest of the world did not, the disastrous negative affect Covid 19 would have on all levels. What they assured me in March is not what’s being told now. 

And to answer your point, if Disney cancelled they will give you bonus credit to keep you on the hook, even if a year later. When the CDC gave no sail for 100 days, Disney jumped on that and reinstated the cruises after July 27. I find it hard to believe that With the CDC and WHO advising that there is a health threat globally, that any cruise line should be sailing. Unfortunately if I cancel before them I’m penalized. My only hope is if they cancel after me I can fight to get the 20% back. 

I think it's a manner of timing and select sailings.  Because the email I received back then noted the ships and sail dates. It didn't include any sailings past May.    

You might find information out on other Disney boards if others received emails.  I think you need to receive that in order to avoid penalty.

Not all cruiselines are being flexible.   For example if you have a non-refundable deposit on Royal Caribbean,  you lose that should you cancel.  The only option to get it refunded is if the sailing gets cancelled.  They offer people to do a Lift and Shift where you could move your booking to the same time frame (within 4 weeks)next year on a comparable sailing.    I have a TA booked for November 1st and a lot of people took offer to move to next year because they didn't want to lose their deposit. 

Not sure about Princess.  They cancelled one of mine in September because Canada extended the ban through October.  They just offered double deposit towards a future cruise.   But I've read stories of people still waiting after 90 days to get refunded from their cancelled cruise.  Yikes.

Disney refunded the port charges for our cruise the day after they announced it was cancelled.  We decided to take the 125% offer as we could get a 100% refund if we don't use it in 2 years.

I cancelled our four suites on June 12th for our August 8th Fantasy sailing and took the 20% hit.  It was just to risky to go into the 50% penalty period and hope that Disney will cancel.  No one in our family of twelve wants to go this August, so we had no choice. ☹️

Edited by CPADWJ
add word

On 6/12/2020 at 11:54 AM, Shmoo here said:

What cruise lines?  How are they relaxing the cancellation policies?

Don’t know about other cruise lines, but Royal is allowing cancellations up to 48hrs before sailing date for bookings made before 8/1/20 for sailings until early 2022 I believe.  You don’t get a cash refund but they will give you a credit to take another cruise within maybe a year of the original sailing date I think - I’m not positive on the date.

They are also offering a Lift & Shift where you can move your current sailing out a year, keeping your current pricing.  On the new cruise, you can also cancel or get price adjustments  up to 48hrs before sailing.

We had a cruise scheduled for August of this year which we lifted and shifted to July of next year on a different ship.  We were able to do this prior to our final payment date so we just have a deposit on it and don’t have to pay in full until next spring.  

Now we just hope they don’t go out of business!