Westbound Transatlantic Cabin Location

Hi,

This will be our first westbound transatlantic cruise (Rome to New York in November).  I am looking for opinions and advice on the best cabin location, port or starboard for sun/warmth (if any) and little wind.

I've googled and searched with no luck, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

Thanks.

Going westbound, south (the sunny side) would be port (left). In November, the weather should be cool enough and sunrise late enough at those latitudes that I'd pick that side - if it were summer I'd go with the shaded side because I don't like getting hot or being awakened too early. Have a great trip!

Edited by strickerj
Clarified reason for my advice

There will be less wind on a west bound than an east bound, but it can still be breezy. I would not even worry about it.....you are on a trans atlantic….I doubt it will be your last. By the way....The Mediterranean is a bit of a rougher sea than the Atlantic...JMO

Doug

2 hours ago, lwrightuk said:

Hi,

This will be our first westbound transatlantic cruise (Rome to New York in November).  I am looking for opinions and advice on the best cabin location, port or starboard for sun/warmth (if any) and little wind.

I've googled and searched with no luck, so I'm hoping someone here can help.

Thanks.

Tough questions to answer without knowing ports of call to determine the routing. The shortest is a Great Circle heading up to northern latitudes and down by the Grand Banks. This is most unlikely as although shortest distance it fights the currents. Also in November, the weather can be rather unfavourable.

Without knowing ports of call, the most likely route is heading down towards the Canaries, catching the Canary current, then West across the Atlantic using the top end of the North Equatorial. In addition to favourable currents, below about 30N, you should experience the NE Trade winds which initially would be astern, then on heading more Westerly, on the Stbd Quarter. 

In November the Sun's declination is in the S Hemisphere, so on entering the Atlantic the Port side has AM sun and Stbd side the PM sun. When heading West, the Sun will be on the Port side. When altering more NW'ly courses towards NY, the Stbd side has AM SUN and Port side PM sun.

In the event of heavy weather, courses are variable as a result of weather routing, but then the sun isn't normally an issue.

Regarding the Meddy being rougher than the Atlantic. With numerous TA's in both directions and at least 8 months cruising the Meddy that would not be my experience. Yes, I have experienced a storm in the Meddy, but nowhere close to those experienced in the Atlantic.